Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this November 2009.

http://www.l4d.com/

I know my fellow SANE zombie fans will enjoy this... Join me on the 360, same gamertag as
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek G
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
360? PC is where L4D belongs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utsutsu wrote:
360? PC is where L4D belongs
But it doesn't run on my Mac.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No... it's still going to be supported, L4D2 is a new story with a new location, characters and melee weapons. It's like a different flavor of game in my opinion. Too large to be downloadable content.

But you should HEAR the whining... it's like here when a new edition of a boardgame is released.... (Milking the Fanbase, wonk wonk wonk, Abandoning Us, wonk wonk wonk, Should be Provided to Us Free, etc.. etc...)

http://www.left4dead411.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12171
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Left 4 dead is a strange game...
Basically all there is in the game you see in the 3 minutes or something opening movie.
But still I keep playing and playing even though I´m not a big shooter fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
OrangeCat X wrote:
No... it's still going to be supported, L4D2 is a new story with a new location, characters and melee weapons. It's like a different flavor of game in my opinion. Too large to be downloadable content.

But you should HEAR the whining... it's like here when a new edition of a boardgame is released.... (Milking the Fanbase, wonk wonk wonk, Abandoning Us, wonk wonk wonk, Should be Provided to Us Free, etc.. etc...)

http://www.left4dead411.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12171

Well to be fair:
- L4D2 is comming out AWFULLY fast. I haven't heard of a sequel to a game comming out so quickly since the first one. The first one still feels new.
- L4D never really (to me) felt 'complete'. I always thought there was more stuff comming, new levels and gameplay and shit. As it stands there really isn't that much there. I feel like TF2 (which was $20) gets more new content than L4D (which was $50).
-The L4D2 sell is new characters (all the characters play the same, so who cares), new location (who cares, you can do a new location in a new scenario) and melee weapons (THAT needs a new game?) This sounds like expansion stuff at best. I can't even see a massive graphic improvement since the game is hardly old anyway!

Beh, this news doesn't excite me at all.

The graphics have been upgraded pretty significantly. Left 4 Dead is kind of behind the times as far as graphics go. L4D2 already looks much better, and is still only in development.

Other major features you may not be aware of -

-New special infected. In addition to the familiar baddies, you know have to deal with Chargers, who move quickly and knock down survivors (even groups of them) on impact. Also, the wandering witch. She's just like her stationary counter-part, but more difficult to avoid.

-Some new varieties of regular infected. For example, infected wearing fireproof suits.

-New "panic" events. Instead of staying in one place and holding out until the way is clear, there are now parts of the game where you must continue to make the horde stop. For example, in the New Orleans finale, you must cross a bridge to get rescued, but the horde is constantly coming at you from the other side. Rather than holding your ground and surviving until rescue arrives, you have to fight your way across.

-New AI director features, which allow it to adjust the environment such as object placement (cars and such) and even adjust routes through certain parts of the level. For example, during part of the campaign you come to a graveyard. The way through it is generated differently each time you play, so you don't know what to expect.

-The director is also smarter about placing items and ammunitions, to further reward exploration. The director will be better about populating "dead ends," leaving you good incentive to go off the main path in search of stuff, while you be less likely to find things on the main route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Pierce
United States
Tangent
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with MrSkeletor on this one. The game hasn't even been out for a year, there is no way I'm pay $50 for a "sequel" at this point. I'll wait on LFD2 until it comes down to at least $20 (preferably $10, heck there maybe a LFD3 at that point). Although I'm sure some of my friends will jump on it.

The timing on this feels a little bit like they said: "We can't get everything we want done on time for our initial release. Hey, lets release a subset of the functionality (LFD). That will give us time to get everything we wanted done and we can release a 'sequel' next year (LFD2). We can even sell each one at the price point of a full game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Daley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
npcomplete wrote:
I'm with MrSkeletor on this one. The game hasn't even been out for a year, there is no way I'm pay $50 for a "sequel" at this point. I'll wait on LFD2 until it comes down to at least $20 (preferably $10, heck there maybe a LFD3 at that point). Although I'm sure some of my friends will jump on it.

The timing on this feels a little bit like they said: "We can't get everything we want done on time for our initial release. Hey, lets release a subset of the functionality (LFD). That will give us time to get everything we wanted done and we can release a 'sequel' next year (LFD2). We can even sell each one at the price point of a full game."

Actually, Valve already admitted that they only released a partial game. This is why they just released free down-loadable content for L4D1. And to this I say, "Valve Rocks!"

While it's true that L4D1 isn't as great of a value as Orange Box was, it's still an awesome game. And based on the videos and articles I've seen on L4D2, I think it looks fantastic. Why would it NOT be a "sequel?"

Why don't you all just wait and see what's in the game before saying that it's not worth the price. There are so many nay-sayers on this board. Seriously, people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek G
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
VS mode is the REAL game though. I have put probably 200 hours into vs mode since release. It is not unbalanced, though some levels are tilted towards survivors or infected, but this is ok because both teams get a crack at playing both sides on each map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bleah... I'm not going on the internet for a while. >.<

Last thing I'm going to write on the subject for a LONG while.

-------------------------------------------------------------

People have been saying that melee weapons COULD have been added to L4D1 easily... personally, I'd think the screaming would have been LOUDER. (Possibly from me.)

I do remember a lot of bitching about "melee spammers", how they were "destroying the spirit of the game". Melee combat was even nerfed slightly in L4D.

However, _there_ seems to be two style of L4D gamers...

Group #1
- L4D is a _shooter_. Guns, guns, guns.
- You NEVER intentionally melee a zombie in movies. Too close. Too dangerous.
- Survivors melee spamming is REALLY ANNOYING, and shows a "lack of skill".
- EVERYBODY going in to a corner and "Shiva Stacking" is F**KING ANNOYING. (Especially if you are the infected player. )
- The melee "cool down" is the best thing that ever happened to the game.

Then you have...

Group #2
- Zombie outbreaks BEG for melee weapons. (Shawn of the Dead is my FAVE!)
- I want the chainsaw/katana/cricket bat/sledgehammer/etc...
- I am willing to mod the game to get these weapons.
- Everybody going back to back and bashing is GOOD TACTICS.
- I WANT to bash my way through a level. It's FUN.

So... do you...

Modify L4D introducing melee weapons and piss-off group 1 who want a "pure" shooter with a little gun butting?

Or do you make a new L4D, and introduce dedicated melee into the game?

Hmmm... annoy THIS 50% or THAT 50%... choices...

Personally? I'll probably play both. #1 when I want to blaze away, and #2 when I want to shoot AND have fun/bashing things with a fire axe.

------------------
So, in short, I'm interested in "theme" and everybody on the internet is interested in "value".

MrSkeletor wrote:
I meant unbalanced between the classes. The smoker is a prime example - he is supposed to be the guy who pulls characters to stop corner camping (which is half the game it seems) but he can't effectivly do it, unless they have fixed him since last time I played.
Sounds like are trying to fix the specials. The charger is designed to smash into a small cluster of melee campers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Sharp
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Since we are on a boardgame site, what is the best Zombie boardgame that represents L4D and why? Should someone like Fantasy Flight buy the rights and create one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blake7 wrote:
Since we are on a boardgame site, what is the best Zombie boardgame that represents L4D and why? Should someone like Fantasy Flight buy the rights and create one?
Well, I'm still waiting for "Gears of War" to come out from them.

All Things Zombie: The Boardgame is actually on pre-order for me. It's is going to be HEAVY into guns, and battling other survivors.

Zombies!!!, I have... but I have SERIOUSLY lost interest in it. Lots of violence, core game is cute but the cardplay is primitive compared to...

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game GREAT game. (And my wife likes it too.) But it is not like L4D. Zombies are TOUGH, and guns are a rare treat.

To be honest, I have a soft spot for this one Dawn of the Dead I kinda regret selling it... but there IS a print and play version. LOTS of shooting; Clearing out a mall is tough work.

Lastly... I wrote these, but the graphic work is by someone else.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/357817

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.