SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a game page, there is Information (designer publisher, number of players and so on). Included here are three polls, one to find the best number of players, one for the suitable ages for players, and one for how important language is in the game.

I've been ploughing through my Wishlist and checking this last one each time. If a game has a lot of text, I have to obtain the UK/US edition instead of getting a copy from Germany (easier for me to obtain).

What I have noticed is that there are usually very few votes, often only one, which makes the result highly subjective. I'm having to check the photo gallery to see if there is in-game text, making the poll a wasted effort.

I think this low er inclusion er acceptance er what's the word, involvement in this feature is caused by the poll form being hidden by default. The user must selct Poll before getting the quiz box. I'm sure most new users have no idea this feature exists. Evidently, experienced users are not taking part, despite this being useful practical data.

Can we please have some improvement to the design of this feature to encourage a greater take-up?

For example, the poll could be made permanently unhidden. For the language poll, this would be obtrusive, but the age or player numbers could be handled in a small format and kept within the information section. The radio buttons could be strung out across the form.

Perhaps the polls need to be broken into a separate section, so that users who want them can choose the location on the page.

Perhaps the user can be given a broad hide/show tag somewhere on their account, so that hide keeps the polls hidden by default until selected, and the show makes them permanently open unless hidden on that game page.

Do you get GG for voting?

Anyway, my opinion is that the design of the feature is discouraging users and that improving the design would improve the quantity and hopefully quality of data.

Cheers,
jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has just occured to me that I don't vote on these polls myself. And yet, whenever I play a game for the first time, I Rate it and Comment on it. So if the polls where down in my user data, I would be more inclined to add the data.

The results could be shown on the Information section, but the voting could be on the user's section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.