Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people on BGG probably grew up gaming. As such, we all have fleeting memories of board games past that don't quite add up to a coherent whole.

Just this morning, as I was thinking over this very idea, I remembered a game my mom bought me as a present when I was around 12 years old. From what I remembered, it was a trivia based game set in space that came out between 1985 and 1990. So that's what I entered into the advanced search. And lo and behold! the gaps in my memory were suddenly filled as I.Q. 2000 appeared in the search results.

There are even pictures of the board which I thought was SO AWESOME!! when I first opened the box. At the time it was quite possibly gnarly, even tubular.

I have very fond memories of playing I.Q. 2000 with my parents and siblings. The game had a big effect on me. In fact, I now work for NASA.

No. That's not true. I made that part up. If only...

But the memories are real. The memories are the reason I still enjoy the hobby.

For your enjoyment (thanks for the memories Fecktor and all others who added pics for I.Q. 2000):

So, what games have you found "at long last" through the BGG games database?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, I remember IQ 2000, it was a nice game.

Once, when I was a kid (let's say 9 years old), a rumor started going around school that some fool on the nearby street was throwing away tons of toys! Obviously, when my best friend and I got out of the school, the faster kids already vultured the wonderful garbage.

But some kid had dumped plastic parts around and it was a real joy to pick them up. Broken action figures, unidentifiable vehicles, strange plastic pieces and even an enigmatic contraption:

I need to mention that my friend and I had overflowing, Big Fish-level imaginations, and we came up with about a thousand ideas about what it was from and where it came from. It was obviously a toy, probably from a boardgame, but apart from that, we had no clue.

Let's just say that the games we came up with in our minds for this gizmo seemed a lot more interesting and entertaining than the real deal, because a few years later, an aunt gave me a bunch of old boardgames, and The Inventors was included. I could not believe my eyes when I opened the box and saw the bizarre gadget of my youth.

Then I played the game and was disappointed. shake

Edit: Oh wait, this does not have a lot to do with BGG, does it? Oh well. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's disappointing when our memories don't hold up under scrutiny. It's probably a good thing that I'll most likely never play I.Q. 2000 again.

I've also seen that contraption from The Inventors somewhere. Maybe in a nightmare.

But that's a perfectly legitimate post. The main idea was memories of games past, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I.Q. 2000 is one that I discovered again on here. The game is packed up in a box in my closet, which I haven't touched since moving in 1991.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very early memory of my mom playing Casper the Friendly Ghost Game with us.

I had long forgotten it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Can't say I've played that one. Do you remember if the game itself was any good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Russell
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/32390Park and Shop

This is what I remember very fondly from my youth (a long time ago). I liked the "strategy" part of it, planning out a route and maximizing efficiency at 7 or 8 years old.

lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leverage is an abstract game I received as a gift as a kid in the 1980s. It's been in a box in my closet ever since I moved in 1991, but I'm wanting to dig it out and play it. As an adult, I think I'd appreciate and enjoy it even more than I did as a kid!

It plays a bit like Chinese checkers, but the object of the game is to move your pawns to your opponent's side of the board to make his side heavier than yours. The loser is the first one to have to remove all of their grey "ballast" pawns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Park and Shop looks absolutely wretched, but so indicative of the times. The Great Depression's over, we're in the post-war boom, time to get people to spend, spend, spend! And we've never stopped. It actually makes me wonder if there have been studies done on board games through the ages and how they reflect or attempt, in their little way, to shape society. Very interesting.

I think I played Leverage as a kid. That was back when Milton Bradley would just throw anything in a box, stamp it with their logo, and call it a board game. Not to say it wasn't any good, but I'm reminded of that Dan Akroyd SNL skit where he's selling a bag of nails as a toy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was Magic Realm. I loaned it to a classmate 20+ years ago and never got it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Mine was Magic Realm. I loaned it to a classmate 20+ years ago and never got it back.

Let's form up a BGG posse, find the guy, and get it back for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want in on that posse!

Regulators, mount up!
(Young Guns not Warren G.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have fond memories of Hawaiian Punch!

I most vividly remember the disappointment I regularly felt after I’d delivered yet another glancing blow to my sibling’s clay playing piece. After yelling "So, how would you like a Hawaiian punch??" and putting all of my strength into the SMASH it simply was not possible to aim accurately enough to actually successfully crush that little clay figure.

In my minds eye I was going to leave behind nothing but a little clay pancake but it always ended up being a clay man with a missing arm or just a squished toe. That didn’t stop me from trying though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never knew this existed. Are there other games based on beverage franchises? Kool-Aid, Gatorade? Other than monopoly variants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
Never knew this existed. Are there other games based on beverage franchises? Kool-Aid, Gatorade? Other than monopoly variants?

That's the only one I know of though I'm sure searching for some random beverage names will turn up more.

Looks like in Hawaiian Punch the man I remember was actually the smashing tool and the target was actually a clay pineapple that's quite a bit smaller than I recalled. That makes me feel a little better about the missed smashes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when I read your initial post I was wondering how you could miss hitting something with your own hand.

Then I read the game description. You have every right to feel very good about yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This game, from age 6, had the BEST PLASTIC CHICKEN:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I have to admit, I've never played any game with a plastic chicken. So I'll just assume your judgment is sound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.