Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the course of 6 months in 2000, I lost 70 pounds eating nothing but turkey sandwiches and pasta, all without exercising. It was a fun time--my parents thought I was bulemic (when I found this out, I would mess with their heads by running to the bathroom immediately after meals) and one friend asked if I had AIDS.

I bottomed (topped?) out at 178, then tended to hover around 185.

Then eggie and I got together. The trouble with dating-eventually-marrying a fellow adventurous gormandizer is you tend to gourmandize a lot more than usual. Also I developed a years-long hobby of ice cream creation. Soon enough, I tipped the scales at 200 pounds, the first time crossing that threshold in six or seven years.

I worked myself back down to 190 in time for the wedding, but it only took a few months of post-wedded bliss for that weight to balloon to 215.

We have two swimsuit-related vacations coming up in the next eight months: the Jersey shore late August, then the much publicized trip to Hawaii in February.

Last week, I weighed in at 210.2 lbs NMW*. My goal is to be at 200 (195 if I'm feeling ambitious) in time for the shore and 190 (183 ambition weight) for Hawaii.

I have a few strategies at my disposal:

1. Cut down on sugars confectionary and fermented. These will be saved for special occasions only such as birthdays, barbeques, and game meetups. In regards to beer, I'll eschew my beloved IPAs (~200 calories per 12 ounces) in favor of Guinness (125 calories per 12 ounces) whenever possible. "Lite" beer is not an option unless it's free.

2. Exercise 3-4 times a week as opposed to my usual 2-3 times a week. (I know, exercise isn't a major factor in weight loss, 40 minutes on a stationary bike only burns around 400 calories for me, but the boost in metabolism should be nice.)

3. Cut down on thirds. eggie will like this--when we first married, she lamented that I never left any leftovers for her to bring to lunch.

4. Weigh-ins every Tuesday morning. Weigh yourself at different times of the day--you'll see fluctuations of up to 2 pounds. Weigh yourself everyday and the results will be so small it'll be discouraging.

I've already shed 1.4 pounds in the first week which is ahead of both my regular and reach goals, but with a meetup, a company happy hour, and two meals with Eat-Till-You-Pop in-laws in the coming week, I can't rest on my laurels.

*Naked Morning Weight. How's that for a mental image People-Who've-Met-Me-In-Person?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my weight loss tip:

Avoid empty carbohydrates. If it has sugar of any form or enriched white flour, leave it on the shelf.

Also limit the amount of starchy veggies like potatoes and corn (2-3 times a week). They don't have a lot of nutritional value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Trim the jew-fro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

Trim the jew-fro.

He only wants to drop to about 190.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
My tips include:

1) Switching to diet sodas if you're a card-carrying soda-holic like myself.

2) Switch from white to wheat - bread, rice, pasta. That really helps if you eat a lot of pasta, and with pasta you can't tell the difference (sadly I can tell the difference in bread and rice).

3) Switch to fat-free stuff where you can - FF sour cream isn't bad. FF Half-and-Half in coffee isn't bad. FF Cheese and milk suck, make the call for yourself on those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captkayoss wrote:

3) Switch to fat-free stuff where you can - FF sour cream isn't bad. FF Half-and-Half in coffee isn't bad. FF Cheese and milk suck, make the call for yourself on those.

Be VERY careful with fat free stuff. A lot of times the fat is replaced with sugar. And lots of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Oh to get back to 200...lol. I've started to try to walk for 30 minutes of our lunch hour everyday. Now that I'm done teaching for the summer I can actually walk in to work, which also takes 30 mins, in addition. Now if I could get the whole eating thing down..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captkayoss wrote:
My tips include:

I've gone diet for a long time. Like Brooks in Shawshank, I'm institutionalized--regular sodas are too sweet for me now.

Quote:
2) Switch from white to wheat - bread, rice, pasta. That really helps if you eat a lot of pasta, and with pasta you can't tell the difference (sadly I can tell the difference in bread and rice).

I find whole wheat things to be tastier than white. I also prefer brown rice over white, so I'm covered there. (Then again, white bread may as well never had existed in my childhood. We were strictly a whole wheat or rye family.)

Quote:

FF greek yogurt is a better alternative to sour cream, though you may need to add a dash of salt if you want it on a potato. I grew up on skim milk so it doesn't bother me, but I notice I feel a lot fuller when I put whole milk on my cereal than skim. I think the reduced cravings are worth the extra 50 calories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

Trim the jew-fro.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
captkayoss wrote:
My tips include:

I've gone diet for a long time. Like Brooks in Shawshank, I'm institutionalized--regular sodas are too sweet for me now.

I'm SOOO with you there. When I accidentally hit "Coke" instead of "Diet Coke" on a vending machine, I have to give it away. It's not even a matter of calories - it's just waaaaay too sweet for me now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weighing every day is not a problem if you draw a chart and keep an eye on the average. It doesn't help to lose weight, but even when weighing once a week there might be high fluctuations. So, one week you seem to have gained weight, because last week you ate less and this week just before the weighing day more. But in fact you could have lost weight, which you will see if you get rid of what you are carrying around in your stomach and bowels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:

Trim the jew-fro.

Damn! You beat me to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Down to 206.6, 2.2 lbs less than last week. I should probably slow it down a little for the next week.

2 things I've learned:

1. Even better than Guinness is red wine. A 4oz glass is about 100 calories (though some places pour 6oz, but still, that's only 150).

2. Lychees are an awesome snack. They're only 6 calories apiece and peeling them is an activity unto itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Down to 206.6, 2.2 lbs less than last week. I should probably slow it down a little for the next week.

2 things I've learned:

1. Even better than Guinness is red wine. A 4oz glass is about 100 calories (though some places pour 6oz, but still, that's only 150).

2. Lychees are an awesome snack. They're only 6 calories apiece and peeling them is an activity unto itself.

You peel them? I stick it in the side of ny mouth and and crack the skin with my teeth, snap the skin off with my fingres (which pops the fruit into my mouth), eat the flesh, and finally spit out the seed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
...crack the skin with my teeth, snap the skin off with my fingres ... eat the flesh, and finally spit ...

I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.