Primordial Soup» Forums » Rules

Subject: Last round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Primordial Soup four times now. In each game, the players could see the last round coming. This made them change their play: they no longer cared about eating unless starving would make an amoeba die, and generally blew their remaining biological points on genes except for two, which were kept to buy two extra amoebas. Exact placing of the extra amoebas was unimportant, the game would end before their feeding phase would start.

Actually, I hurt myself at one point by buying a seventh amoeba in the penultimate round. In the last round, I had 13 gene points which I could not spend. I would have done much better by skipping buying a seventh amoeba in the penultimate round, so I would have sufficient biological points for two extra genes in the last round, while still being able to get the seventh amoeba.

I do not like this turning out of the game. The goal of the game is to get a thriving colony of amoebas. But in the last round, you no longer care about genes or chances of survival. Basically, you can rip the basis from under your colony, it is only about maximising your point total.

This game is thematically strong, which is one of its selling points, but it drops its theme in the last few rounds in favor of munchkinning.

I would prefer it much if the last round was more like the rest of the game. I was wondering if others experience the same problem in the game, and if there are suggestions to resolve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like exactly what you are complaining about. Gives the game a good solid climax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly - if you could see your end coming tomorrow - would you care about a filled fridge or a little sunburn?

But to be serious, I understand your point.
Maybe you could try some easy end game rules (like deduct half points for each damage marker (1/3 for those who can take 3)and add half points for each "full meal" in the space of your amoeba (considering cards as well).

Otherwise you would need some kind of complex "future survivability rating".

I'm not sure though, if the game would gain from that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.