Popular Tags: [View All]
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

When viewing lists of games sorted alphabetically (ie By Title), I've noticed that while a leading article of "The" is properly ignored, the article "An" is not. So a game such as An Evening With Bram Stoker's Dracula appears in the As instead of where one would expect it (in this examples, in the Es, not the As). As far as a leading article of "A", sometimes it's properly ignored, and sometimes it's not...

Of course filtering out A and AN might be kinda tricky for some of those foreign game titles... but it's (very minorly) annoying when games don't appear in the "proper" place in my "owned" list...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Users should specify this when entering game names. For existing names, I bet we could fix that in day if a submission system was in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You think we have an "An" problem, when what we really have is a "Die" problem.

Which is sort of existential in a way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why you think that A and AN *should* be ignored. At my old radio station, the policy was that "The" and *only* "The" would be tacked onto the end. Seemed to work pretty well.

And yes, that meant that "The The" was filed as "The, The".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I'm not sure why you think that A and AN *should* be ignored.

Er... just standard alphabetization rules from way back to forever (at least in English). A, An, and The are "articles" (A and An are "indefinite articles", The is a "definite article").

Standard practice is to ignore articles for alphabetization purposes. I think the reason they are to be ignored is that it's easy to remember something like "Enchanted Evening", but not so easy to remember if it's "An Enchanted Evening", "The Enchanted Evening", or just "Enchanted Evening" (yes, that really is a board-game). So if we ignore leading articles, it's easier to find a title...

But more importantly, it would good to pick a method, and do all titles the same way. It seems that various games that have a leading article are alphabetized in different ways here on BGG... aaaahhhh... bugs the heck out of us anal types! LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can submit a correction and mention that the name isn't sorting properly.

We are now using MARC codes to sort the names, so it's trivial to update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.