Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I know you've had the road roughed up for repaving for what seems like almost a month, and I know you're almost finished with the building on one side of the street, and I know you're trying to be nice to those gitwizards who drive 5 mph because they're trying to hold their coffee, send a Crackberry message, eat a bowl of cereal and talk on the cell phone at the same time, but you just started digging to build the massive building complex across the street that's not even projected to be completed until late 2012, so why the heck are you repaving the road? Oh, that's right, the city of San Antonio is paying you to do it, and they know nothing of road maintenance.

You think Pennsylvania's roads are bad, just come to San Antonio, where they don't understand the concept of filling pot holes, fixing roads that have given way, or painting lines. Lines? On roads? Who needs those? What's going to happen in the above situation is the brand new road will soon get trashed and broken by heavy construction equipment, and they'll not repair it for 20 years. Then they'll have two, awesome new research buildings, housing medical doctors pulling in fortunes, with access from a road that might as well be dirt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am no stranger to bad roads. A family of ducks where living in the "crater" in the side of my street. There are ruts and pot holes in the highways. There are far to many roads and streets that aren't paved. Don't worry though. The people voted against a 2 cent gas tax increase.

I'll be returning to central Wisconsin where road maintenance must be high on the list of city expenses since everything is fixed and improved constantly, and that's on top of plowing and salting. Who would of thought I would miss road maintenance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Construction Guys?

Diane will appear (with photos) in 3..2..1..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to hear about bad roads until you've been to Michigan where we happily destroy our roads with snow plow blades each and every year. I have a pothole in front of my house that by daughter could hide in. They had a section of road block off that had sunk into a crater that would swallow a compact car whole.

Bad roads. Pffft!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
I don't want to hear about bad roads until you've been to Michigan where we happily destroy our roads with snow plow blades each and every year. I have a pothole in front of my house that by daughter could hide in. They had a section of road block off that had sunk into a crater that would swallow a compact car whole.

Bad roads. Pffft!!

See, that's the thing -- they have probably two snow plows here that they use probably once every five years. And four years ago, they had to use them. And they made more potholes than I've ever seen snow plows make. Why? Because the drivers don't know what they're doing with them. So you'd think they'd fix some of the bad ones, at least, since they only have to fix them every five years.

The problem here is that term limits are two years for the city council, and apparently any road work project (including fixing potholes and painting lines) can't be done within two years. So they don't fix anything. For decades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, since I never saw snow, let me ask, how exactly do a snow plow destroy the road? Doesn't it only move the snow to sidewalk, hovering just above the asphalt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
Ok, since I never saw snow, let me ask, how exactly do a snow plow destroy the road? Doesn't it only move the snow to sidewalk, hovering just above the asphalt?
No, more like it drags across the asphalt making sparks and digging into every little crack and ripping and grinding on the roads until it destroys them. As for moving it to the sidewalk, it more accurately creates a thick, dense wall of ice that must be chiseled through to clear.

I hate snow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last pothole I hit had a family of four living in it.

As I drive along the major highway here, there is one section that gives me fits.

110 km/h zone, and there are massive potholes in it. I've already bent a rim on one of them. Shortly after I called to complain, a bump sign went up. I got a new rim out of them because I had photos of the crators on my phone showing they were there for 3 weeks before anything was done about them.

So the patching crews are out. It appears they are contractors. Two different ones patching about 3km of road each. So now you go along pothole central, and 3km of it is patched, and then another 3km is patched but there is a gap of about 1/4 km in BETWEEN where the WORST ones were. shake So after a Government truck is dispatched where they put a bunch of coalpatch in the holes to cover them up. shake That stuff lasts for about a day. This is the most travelled highway in New Brunswick and you allow THAT to happen?!?!

When contacted, apparently the patching crews are so busy they won't be able to go back and finish what they missed for a month. shake My question was "Why not have government trucks go back with ashpalt and patch it themselves?" The person on the other line said they don't use ashpalt.

So I guess that wasn't a government truck putting ashphalt on my road the other day I saw. I guess some contractor out there has the exact same logo's and goes by the name of "Government of New Brunswick".

Then they hung up on me.

Gotta love dealing with governement agencies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
yohanleafheart wrote:
No, more like it drags across the asphalt making sparks and digging into every little crack and ripping and grinding on the roads until it destroys them. As for moving it to the sidewalk, it more accurately creates a thick, dense wall of ice that must be chiseled through to clear.

I hate snow.

And the lasers, don't forget the lasers. We aren't really sure WTF they do... besides scare the hell out of people.

No, not a photochop or a joke.

We just about died coming back from a gaming event. The roads where awful and we were in an older car that didn't have very good tires on a two lane road when a snow plow with a frickin laser beam attached to it's head came at us. pew! pew! pew! Lucky for us, my ultra calm demeanor and shouts of "Holy sh*^ what the f%*# is that??" helped keep John Weldy calm behind the wheel.

We arrived safe and sound. Albeit in need of a change of underwear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:

Actually it's not so much the plows but the ice that causes the roads to break up.

If you have a lot of rain in a winter, where the temp goes from warm enough to rain and then freeze right after, well water expands when frozen so it causes the roads to break up pretty bad.

And since you don't get snow down there, I hate you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
At least its only your car you are hitting the pothole with! Out here in Montana where we still ride horses to work, because automobiles haven't shown up here yet, if you hit a pot hole you could potentially break the horses leg and have to put it down right there with your six shooter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How bizarre....

They couldn't use sharks so they used ill-tempered snowplow drivers?

Thanks for the explanation cold_fuzion. But I still want me some snow. Last night was probably the coldest night we will have this year, 6°C. I need more cold than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:

Don't hate me, love me . Yeah the ice I figured it would break things up, just had to understand how the snowplow would help on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
How bizarre....

They couldn't use sharks so they used ill-tempered snowplow drivers?

Thanks for the explanation cold_fuzion. But I still want me some snow. Last night was probably the coldest night we will have this year, 6°C. I need more cold than that.

I still hate you.

That's shorts and shirtless weather here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:

*Sigh* I miss my snow. And especially my mountains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:
I still hate you.

Here it is wool, stockings and leather weather. Shirtless and shorts is when it is 25°C - 40°C. That's the only sad thing about winter, lack of cleavages. Although I prefer winter clothes, much more sexy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Driving to work early? Or just pent up frustrations at the construction sammich that impedes your drive to work.

Parking in the boonies has its merits.

I know, i know. I am a bad Toggy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
Driving to work early? Or just pent up frustrations at the construction sammich that impedes your drive to work.

Parking in the boonies has its merits.

I know, i know. I am a bad Toggy.

No, no. Leaving work yesterday to pick up Small. I use the other exit when I'm leave so I can get him -- it's shorter that way.

And you just wait until it rains! Ha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is this rain you speak of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
San Antonio's road construction is easily the worst of any place I have ever lived. Projects that would take months in other places take years here. That's not even considering the fact that projects aren't often started until the situation is dire.

I don't really mind the snowplow thing, since real snow happens roughly once a generation. Raleigh did snow/ice poorly, but they get it every 2-3 years, so its less excusable. Pittsburgh did snow very well, of course, but I doubt they handle killer bees without freaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
What is this rain you speak of?

It beats snow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Construction Guys?

Actually, I was going to suggest she take photos!

Yeah, photos or it isn't true!!

Hobbespm wrote:

Well obviously it's not shorts and shirtless weather down in San Antonio, else Amy would have a lot less to rant about! kiss laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Construction Guys?

Actually, I was going to suggest she take photos!

Yeah, photos or it isn't true!!

And here's another one:

pdclose wrote:
Hobbespm wrote:

Well obviously it's not shorts and shirtless weather down in San Antonio, else Amy would have a lot less to rant about! kiss laugh
[/q]
Yeah, it's only 87 F. And I'm stuck at my desk. Never mind that almost the whole building is one, large window. Hey -- I can see the crane from over the top of my cubical! Now if I actually did some work in the lab, that'd be a different story...

Edit for quote issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well... our roads are fine. Our snowplow drivers know how to use their plows. We get our potholes patched in a timely fashion. Construction crews are courteous and their project leaders understand the safety and noise issues so they bring almost every project in before deadline and under budget. We defeated any increase in fuel tax by simply demanding the governor allocate some of the general fund for road projects rather than spend it on steelhead fishing and moose hunts.

Oh yeah... and we pop over to Oregon to buy big ticket items so we won't have to pay sales tax.... their roads suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

I know you've had the road roughed up for repaving for what seems like almost a month, and I know you're almost finished with the building on one side of the street, and I know you're trying to be nice to those gitwizards who drive 5 mph because they're trying to hold their coffee, send a Crackberry message, eat a bowl of cereal and talk on the cell phone at the same time, but you just started digging to build the massive building complex across the street that's not even projected to be completed until late 2012, so why the heck are you repaving the road? Oh, that's right, the city of San Antonio is paying you to do it, and they know nothing of road maintenance.

You think Pennsylvania's roads are bad, just come to San Antonio, where they don't understand the concept of filling pot holes, fixing roads that have given way, or painting lines. Lines? On roads? Who needs those? What's going to happen in the above situation is the brand new road will soon get trashed and broken by heavy construction equipment, and they'll not repair it for 20 years. Then they'll have two, awesome new research buildings, housing medical doctors pulling in fortunes, with access from a road that might as well be dirt.

We don't have that problem in NYC. Instead, they spend 2-3 years rebuilding parks that didn't need rebuilding. (I'm looking at you Washing Square and Union Square!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.