Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're on day 3, and it looks like over 400 people have watched the first video of this month-long free course.

Today's topic is Analog Games (as compared to Digital games), which is quite appropriate for BGG. You can see today's video right here:

and if you want to keep up with the course, you can do so at

http://www.gamesinlibraries.org/course/

We'd love to have participation from gamers and folks from the industry on the discussion boards over at

http://connect.ala.org/forum/10310

(Gotta go make videos! One video a day? what was I thinking??)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim "git yer stinkin' themes offa my mechanic" Puccio
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In your cataloging of categories of games, it is unfortunate that you throroughly ignore abstracts, word games and Ameritrash. Yes, a few abstracts (and Scrabble) are mentioned in the intro and "bait" game sections, but you give the viewer (who, one assumes, is relatively unfamiliar with the spectrum of games) no indication of the number and variety of them that exist. This is sad, because abstracts and word games are especially amenable to being played in a library setting - they are "thinky," and thus quiet and non-disruptive to the other patrons.

Also, it is very misleading to imply that "designer" and "Euro" are somehow synonymous. There are loads of designer Ameritrash, abstracts, and word games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Abstractionist wrote:
In your cataloging of categories of games, it is unfortunate that you throroughly ignore abstracts, word games and Ameritrash.

I'll be coming back to more details on these games later in the class when I start to present examples of types of games. My goal with this one was to paint a very light broad stroke, and will return to fill in later once we have more context.

Word games, knowledge games, abstracts, games with narrative.. they are each coming in their own episodes. (this is only lecture #3 of 30, after all...)

That said, thank you for the feedback - it certainly helps me check my list of future episodes to make sure I'm hitting key things.

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.