Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
I mostly play with my girlfriend and a group of friends who definitely aren't hardcore gamers but enjoy a bit of strategy and deviousness.
Our hands down favourite game is War on Terror, with the Deathtrap Dungeon cardgame a close runner-up but Heroquest, Buccaneer and even Cluedo are good for a laugh too.

We tried Descent and it was a disaster, as we've a slightly different group every time and every game we play needs to be learnable inside 20 minutes.

Heroscape sounds fun though. Is it playable out of the box with the Master Set? Any other recommendations you guys can make?

[edited for spelling]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
If the players are good with the theme, and with the kill-the-enemy goals, it will almost certainly be a hit with casual gamers. And the Master Set is definitely playable and replayable from the box; there is plenty of variety in scenarios and mixes of units.

Ignore the 'basic' game, which is pretty much targeted for small children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    Mike's on it -- straight to advanced rules.

Heroscape is not merely a good game for non-gamers, but it lowers blood pressure and eases the pain of arthritis. In many ways Heroscape is both a boardgame and a medicine, and should not be missed. If you're getting the introductory price for Valkyrie (usually around $20US -- don't know what the price looks like in Ireland) you're getting one heck of a deal.

As DOAM games go, Heroscape is just a great purchase.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Kill-the-Enemy is fine with us so long as there's opportunity for playing around with it - testing people's allegiances, playing different strategies, etc.

We tried Descent, but on top of being overly complicated it seemed pretty relentlessly hack & slash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Nies
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's definitely opportunity for alliances, back-stabbing and so on. It's only limited by your imagination. Depending on how 'heavy' you want to go with rules, each miniature or unit has a card with it's statistics. On one side is a very basic set of stats used in the 'basic' game and on the other side are stats for the 'advanced' game. We use advanced but I can certainly see the basic side being used to those new to miniature-based gaming/combat or for young kids. It's how my son started!

-InnsmouthMedic

p.s. Molloy is my Irish ancestors' family name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
I think it would probably do ok, given the right "non-gamers". I think HS really comes into its own when you add in drafting or army building as part of the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely yes. Easy to learn (skip the basic game), and a load of fun to play. Definately start with the origional Rise of the Valkyrie master set. A lot of variety and replay value, much more than Swarm of the Marro. If you are casual gamers but decide you want more variety I would suggest adding the Swarm of the Marro master set and/or any of the terrain sets and large figure expansions. Stay away from the commons if you value your pocket book though.

Give it a try and have some fun. Definately worth the investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunc wrote:
Kill-the-Enemy is fine with us so long as there's opportunity for playing around with it - testing people's allegiances, playing different strategies, etc.

This game is as much kit as game. If you want an all-against-all game, you could let people have a set number of points and run a king-of-the-hill type scenario. Or you may have a set of players play against one other (a GM or designated player) to obtain an item, take an objective, or reach a goal: but only one player can win.

The pieces are organized by factions and teams and each have unique abilities. You can organize them pretty much how you like, keeping in mind that certain figures and teams have synergies if paired together.

Based on the games that have been a hit with your guests, a shot at Heroscape should go over well, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Thanks guys.
I'll see if I can track down a copy and let you know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 14
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Duncan

Heroscape is indeed a great game which you will enjoy. With a little effort you can enjoy any sort of senario you like within the game. Of course, if you like it you will probably want more so beware.

I checked and you can get copies of the ROTV Masterset in Toymaster Clearwater(Finglas) for 20 euro - ph. 01 8643910 which is good value for a game in Ireland. If you don't like it you can always donate it to a good cause (me).

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Toymaster in Jervis Street had it for the same price, I'm going to drop into town over the weekend and have a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 14
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ring them first. I checked Mary St and they had none but could get it sent in from Finglas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dixon
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently bought in, and convinced my non-gamer girly-girl wife to play the first scenario of the basic game.

It went down to the wire, and she just managed to win.

She really enjoyed it, and wants to play again.

If you are at all interested in a miniatures game, I would easily recommend Heroscape as a great way to start out.

Making your own terrain map is enjoyable, the minis look great, and you can have a lot of fun choosing army lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Nogser wrote:
Hi Ring them first. I checked Mary St and they had none but could get it sent in from Finglas.

Good to know, thanks mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The people who show up for my weekly game night are of the "casual gamer" variety. Heroscape is a favourite of these guys, and at least 5 of them have bought the game for themselves.
Beware of expansion fever!!!
Once you have played a few games, you´ll probably want more...

Click HERE for a complete list of HS expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
The people who show up for my weekly game night are of the "casual gamer" variety. Heroscape is a favourite of these guys, and at least 5 of them have bought the game for themselves.

You're so evil! Or, is it Utgar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
jtspecial wrote:

This is what I'm worried about - I've not really got any interest in different character or class types, more in game mechanics - I'd much sooner spend time playing the game than picking an army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunc wrote:
jtspecial wrote:

This is what I'm worried about - I've not really got any interest in different character or class types, more in game mechanics - I'd much sooner spend time playing the game than picking an army.

Fair enough. Buy two Rise of the Valkyrie Master sets when they are available at $20 a piece from an online retailer. You can definately play with just one set, but two gives you much terrain, and you and your opponent can both pick the figures you want because you have two figs of every one. Never buy anything else Heroscape. You will be having a blast from now until pigs fly.

Do no get tempted to buy one Rise of the Valkyrie and one Swarm of the Marro set. While SOTM is a great set for someone who wants to get deeper into HeroScape, someone like you will get more variety from two ROTV sets.

Final tips: play scenarios! They are loads of fun, and the game keeps being new and refreshing! On the official site there is a great battle field that uses two ROTV sets to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.