Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
With material assistance from Dan Verssen (game designer) and hosting by the Toronto Area Boardgaming Society, I'm going to be running a DiF:AH tournament at TABSCon XIX on Saturday, June 27th, run by the Toronto Area Boardgaming Society.

TABSCon XIX will be held at the Trinity Presbyterian Church - York Mills which is located at 2737 Bayview Ave, just south of Highway 401. This event will be held in west hall at the street level at the north end of the church.

Admission to TABSCon is $5, but there is no fee for entering the tournament itself

A brief rules introduction will be given at 10 AM, with play commencing at 10:30 AM.

Tournament Organization

The tournament will be Swiss style, with the number of rounds depending on number of participants. With 4 or less participants, the number of rounds will be two. With 5-8 participants, there will be three rounds.

A single point is awarded for a win (you shoot down the opponent), a half-point for a draw (neither aircraft is shot down) and zero points for a loss (your aircraft is shot down).

In rounds following the first, players with the same score are ranked according to rating. Then the top half is paired with the bottom half. For instance, if there are eight players in a score group, number 1 is paired with number 5, number 2 is paired with number 6 and so on.

For the first round, players will be ranked randomly. If there are an odd number of players, the player left over receives a bye, meaning the player does not play that particular round but receives a point. The player is reintroduced in the next round and will not receive another bye.

I will either participate in the tournament or not participate as necessary in order to prevent an odd number from occurring. If I am participating and manage to place in the top two by the final round, I will forfeit my ranking to allow the next ranked player to participate.

After the conclusion of the final round, there will a single championship match between the two top ranked players, with the winner taking first prize, and the loser second prize. The third ranked player will receive third prize.

Aircraft Selection

Players select their aircraft secretly and reveal them simultaneously to their opponent at the beginning of each round.

In the first round, only aircraft from 1937-1941 will be permitted, up to a maximum of X VP, with the value of X to be finalized.

In the second round aircraft from 1942-43 will be permitted, up to a maximum of Y VP, with the value of Y to be finalized.

If a third round is required, aircraft from 1944-45, with the exception of the Me262 will be permitted, with a maximum of Z VP, with the value of Z to be finalized.

In the championship round, any aircraft from any period (with the exception of the Me262) up to a maximum of XX VP, with the value of XX to be finalized.

In all rounds, players may select pilots with special abilities worth VPs to add to the base value of their aircraft, so long as the combined total of their aircraft and the pilot does not exceed the round limit.

Time limit

Each round will be timed to last no longer than thirty minutes. Any dogfight unresolved at the conclusion of thirty minutes of play will be assessed as a draw.

A five minute break will be permitted between each round.

Prizes

Prizes are still being worked out at this time. As mentioned above, at minimum they will include:

20% discount coupon to purchases from DVG
10% discount coupon to purchases from DVG
Signed, uncut card sheet for DiF:AH

I am considering adding various Second World War military aviation-related prizes.

Logistics

At the moment I have two complete sets of cards which is enough to have matches between four players on the go. Depending on sign-up numbers, it would be good to get at least two more complete decks of action cards.

In a pinch, I can split both action decks in two, which would allow four games and eight players.

Other Notes

I'd love to have input from other players or organizers who may have run or participated in a DiF tournament before. I have not, as I haven't attended a convention outside of Toronto, and I've not seen a DiF tournament hosted here.

If you have suggestions regarding format or rules, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
The tournament was run to moderate success this past Saturday, with six participants including me.

In the first round, only aircraft from 1937-1941 were be permitted, up to a maximum of 12 VP.

In the second round aircraft from 1942-43 were permitted, up to a maximum of 15 VP.

In the third round aircraft from 1944-45 were permitted, (with the exception of the Me262) to a maximum of 18 VP.

In the championship round, any aircraft from any period (with the exception of the Me262) were permitted up to a maximum of 21 VP.

In all rounds, players had the option to select pilots with special abilities worth VPs to add to the base value of their aircraft, so long as the combined total of their aircraft and the pilot does not exceed the round limit.

Thanks to all the participants!

Final standings:

First Place: VonCougar - 3 points + championship win

Second Place: Clint - 3 points + championship runner-up

Third Place: Peet - 2 Points

Fourth Place: Locarno - 1 Point

Fifth Place: Stan - 0 Points

Sixth Place: Kozure - 0 Points

I fear my poor showing belies my great enthusiasm for the game system. I blame... uh... dusty gunsights.

The championship match saw VonCougar's P-38L demolish Clint's Spitfire XIV for the win.

VonCougar has claimed as his prize a coupon for 20% off online purchases from Dan Verssen Games.

Clint wanted the uncut and signed card sheets.

Peet will receive the 10% off online purchases from Dan Verssen Games coupon.

All prizes were graciously donated by Dan Verssen Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.