Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Does anyone know what this game is based on or where I can find a copy of the original?

It mentions an old Chinese game in the rule book but I can't find reference to it anywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathtrap_Dungeon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathtrap_Dungeon_(video_game)

I don't know exactly what you are asking, but it is a license of the latter link above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
I'm aware of that but I'm specifically interested in the origins of the card game. I've owned it for nearly ten years and it's so popular in our house that my Mum's entire extended family, with no exceptions, plays it together every Christmas. Games can get a bit unwieldy with the number of players, we sometimes play in pairs.

I've gotten extra copies off ebay as my original set is so wrecked, but I'd love to know more about the card game itself - if I could get original sets, etc. It says the game is based on a game called 'Zheng Shang Yu' but I can't find any reference to this anywhere. I need it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Ha!

On the very day I post about it I finally track it down.
I found reference to The Great Dalmati, which lead me to Zheng Shangyou, it's just spelt differently in the rulebook.
It's a bit disappointing though, as it's just a game for a standard 52 card deck.

I'll post a full review and optimised rules later today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Honeyfield
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read the blurb on the BGG page for the game and it sounds just like the game we used to play at Uni - we called it 'Scumbag' tho which we played with a normal 52 card deck.

So rather than having hero/wimp etc we just called them master(i think) and Scumbag ...and we played it with tiered seating.

Master had the best arm achair and Scumbag had no seat at all and had to stand, squat, whatever. As a further punishment the Scumbag was 'slave' to the master and had to fetch beers, chips etc. If there were enough players then we had a deputy master & asshole which only handed 1 card each way rather than 2.

Fun game, but I can't remember all the rules exactly. I think i've also heard it called Asshole (rather than scumbag)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Honeyfield
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found this link

http://www.pagat.com/climbing/asshole.html

and yes it is the same as that chinese game - all the variations and different names are included.

I forgot how much fun this game is

Am interested to hear if (and how) Deathtrap Dungeon is different at all to President/arsehole/scumbag.

How many cards in a deathtrap deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
88 by my count.

I'm working on a review and instructions on how to build your own deck, give me an hour or so.

Dunc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Raos
Croatia
flag msg tools
It's basically The Great Dalmuti with a fantasy theme. Well worth buying a GD deck or create your own!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.