Napoleon in Europe» Forums » Variants

Subject: Suggested tweak to PAPs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff h.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
For a 2 - 4 player game, the diplomatic system in this game doesn't really work for us. Political actions aimed at neutral majors are too costly, so very often, all those pieces on the board just sit there.

But, I'm not sure about the Charge the Guns alternate rules system. I'd prefer a minor tweaking to the rules versus a wholesale reboot.

Here's a possible modification to the PAP, at least as far as their distribution and the Diplomatic Ratings between nations.

1) PAPs aren't purchased directly. Instead, each country accrues 1 PAP per turn, with France starting with 2, as listed in most scenarios. Players can bank or spend their PAPs each month as they please. They can also invest Production Points in increasing their PAP allowance, with the cost doubling with each PAP. So, getting a 2nd PAPs/month = 20, 3 PAPs = 40, etc. Another possibility: you get 1 PAP/month for each major country under your control.

PAPs are also distributed normally as listed in the rules for military actions.

2) After each attempt swaying a Neutral Major country, the Dip Rating increases by 1. So, you're slowly wearing them down to a 'Yes'. I'm not sure how you'd track this ... maybe with spare dice turned to reflect the current DR next to a control marker, or maybe just scratch paper. So, yes, your odds of a positive result are initially very low, but with repeated attempts, your efforts will likely bear fruit ... eventually.

I just think the original rules are way too stingy with the PAPs, and it's difficult to get neutral majors doing anything. I think these variants can address these problems without introducing a lot of complexity.

Now to tackle the victory conditions. I'm tempted to simply say rank the players on their improved PP rating vs where they started in a scenario, but that doesn't really work for the poor Ottomans. Maybe if their territories are valued at '2' for determining victory only ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any experience with 2-5 player games, as we have been six players for all our campaigns. We had to come up with house rules to nerf otherwise rampant beat-the-Turks-while-you-can attacks. In other words it was far to attractive to go to war with the Turks for land grab.

Is this not an issue in games with fewer than six players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff h.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I haven't actually played NiE very much, and I've never played with more than 3 people. But, I can see exactly what you're saying, and it exposes a potential problem with the rule alternative I posted: if PAPs are more available, players will likely attempt annexation more often.

My guess is what you're seeing is a bigger problem with 5+ players and not so much with 2 or 3. If there's only a few players, then you're probably more focused on activating neutral majors into allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.