Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play Factory Fun with two new players as a quick light new game. The rules explanation was pleasantly quick and they both seemed enthusiastic. I could have only hoped that this early success was matched by my final score.

The game only runs for ten rounds so I'll fill in some highlights. Grey, despite being a new player and gratefully taking suggestions for more efficient placement very quickly got her cluster of 4 initial machines in place and connected with almost no pipeline.

Black (sigh) had managed to pick up several pieces with final product output and was forced to try to arrange them so that some inputs could be chained to other helpful stuff. Only two supply reservoirs were in use, though, and he already had a bonus one.

White in the midgame had been forced to discard one machine for money and had drawn a series of low-valued tiles. Midgame, he was about 8 behind Black and Grey, but had managed to leave some piping connectors around his machines so other things could be plumbed in.

By the midway mark, Black had only a single internal supply bonus on a 2 input, while Grey and White were taking off with 6 and 5 respectively, and was only 5 or 6 ahead based on building bonuses. Clearly something was going badly wrong!

In the end game, Grey was forced to discard and pay for one picked up machine, discarded one for free and bemoaned the choice of starting in a corner. With some cunning extra pipes and a bonus supply reservoir she got 8 machines onto the board with 9 inputs correctly supplier.

White struggled with some final machine placements but managed to rearranged the machines on the top-right of his board to bring his correctly supplied total up to 9 as well. He lost mostly due to the extra cost of poorly chosen pipes he had to tear up later.

Black was trailing miserably by this point. He was forced to embark on grand and complex board-crossing blue pipes merely to get a paltry 2 extra supply bonus.
Almost ahead in money before the final bonus calculation, his 6 internally supplied bonus wasn't nearly enough to get him over the line, but it wasn't soembarrassing a loss. Was it?

Final boards and scores:

Black (teaching): 47

White: (new) 52

Grey: (new, but clearly a secret logistician) 68

This is a great game, this embarrassing loss just reminds me that I should organise to play it more often.

Final thoughts:

* Black final product producing machines are poison! Avoid them at almost any cost unless they consume lots of a single colour you produce. Picking them up early is probably a really bad idea.
* Don't forget to use your output reservoirs freely to avoid wasting real money on piping you'll only throw away
* Everything depends on matching up your machines. Try to supply output colours to a single part of the board!
* No matter how many times you play this game, the amount of pain and suffering caused by the innocuous central pillar will amaze you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The end-product machines can be a life saver. The provide a relatively large cash infusion with very little space requirement. Also, since you cannot create a machine "loop", it is most efficient to have at least one end-product. Otherwise, you have output just going into an output reservoir, which is highly undesirable. Ideally, you will end the game with zero output reservoirs on the board.

Also, your final board has an invalid connection. You are not permitted to have multiple pipes merging into one end-product or output reservoir. In the middle, you have 3 machines pumping end-product into a single reservoir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the Cwali page for the game, merging things of the same colour into output reservoirs is fine. I had misremembered this too broadly and let someone merge final products as well.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.