Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the picture on the box looks really nice and thematic, yet the tiles seem to be dull and lifeless green and blue hexagons. Would have been nice to have seen the tiles looking more artistic like the box cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi James.
Have you played the game, or have you only seen the game on BGG?

The tiles are actually quite bright and striking when you see them in real life. You may disagree, and that's fine. I don't expect everyone to like it. Linwood is a family adventure game...not a Euro game, so I wasn't trying to make it look like Catan or Agricola.
Thanks for you comments!

Shem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
In person, I think the tiles look just fine. Games from smaller publishers are going to be more budgeted. Anyways, I think a lot of games are somewhat garrish and overdone in the look department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Rindel wrote:
So the picture on the box looks really nice and thematic, yet the tiles seem to be dull and lifeless green and blue hexagons.

They may not be thematic, but I would hardly call them "dull and lifeless." The colors are vivid and the graphic design is attractive.

Quote:
Would have been nice to have seen the tiles looking more artistic like the box cover.

Nice art is always good, but with the game mechanisms as they are, thematic artwork would have just detracted from the game, I think. The primary colored hexagons work just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Just my 2¢ (and we know what that's worth in today's economy)...

I've never played, nor even seen this game, thought I did look it over on BGG a few weeks ago...

While I do think the tiles look rather "spare", I think this is probably a good thing... often it seems that game designers (or publishers) get a little over-zealous making wildly "pretty" tiles and boards, but they are often distracting, and they make me wonder how much they paid some so-called artist, as opposed to concentrating on game design and play testing.

Take for instance the German version of Catan vs the Mayfair version: the German art is very clean whereas the "artsy" Mayfair design actually detracts from the pleasure of playing (I always play with the German version when it's available).

Along the same lines Roads & Boats has very "plain" components, but is a great game in terms of design and playability.

So ultimately I think I'd like the "spare" design of the Linwood tiles, and I'd sure like to give it a go some day. My gut reaction just from looking at the pictures is that it's probably a pretty cool game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Have you played the game, or have you only seen the game on BGG?

I didn't mean to upset anyone and cause a fuss.

I've only seen the game on BGG and I saw the box art first. I suppose I just expected the tiles to look similar to it i.e the green forest/wood parts to have trees on them similar to the box art and the water to look more like a river or lake.

It seems like a few people like the art just the way it is and I don't think it will detract from how well the game plays or even be much of a factor in whether I decide to buy it or not. When it becomes available in the UK, If the gameplay and reviews are good I'll certainly think about buying it.

As you say if it is going to be a family game this will be a big factor on whether I buy it or not as we often play baord games as a family group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert cabrera
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Self publishing is tough, and for his first game, I think it looks great. And as someone trying to publish his first game, I know its not easy.

AOS does pretty well, and talk about some boring looking tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.