Popular Tags: [View All]
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am going to be moderating a 6 player game tomorrow night. None of us have played the game before. I have read the rule book through a couple of times and confident I know enough of the roles etc. and how to moderate.

One of the scenarios in the book is a 5 player setup, and I was thinking of adding one to this. I was thinking of the Lycan. As there is only one werewolf I thought this might protect the werewolf a bit from the seer. Also with the Lycan's -1 this puts the balance of the game at zero. Would this sway the game in favour of one team or the other considering none of us have played before?

Anyone got any suggestions for a good newbie 6 player setup?

Note: I didn't think Ted would appreciate me posting up the actual setup of the 5 player game. So I haven't posted the 5 player setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he wouldn't mine, but that's just a guess.

I'd start with a pure, simple game: 1 wolf, 5 villagers, 1st-turn Vigilante (Start with a daytime elimination, then whoever dies gets to point immediately at someone who is also eliminated).

I've played a ton of 'Wolf and simple games are still my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Millar
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaveMorgan wrote:
Also with the Lycan's -1 this puts the balance of the game at zero. Would this sway the game in favour of one team or the other considering none of us have played before?
I believe the rulebook mentions that the game tends to be easier for the werewolves in newbie games, relative to with more veterans, so I wouldn't worry about getting the game balance numberdown to 0. A friend recently asked me about setting up a 5 player game of newbies and I suggested vanilla vill/seer/wolf with 1 wolf, on the theory that the variant in Ultimate is too balanced, at least for the first couple games. It hasn't happened yet so I'm curious to hear how it plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 5-player games that we play on the BGG Werewolf forums, and the few 5-player games that were played at BGG.con, the general setup was:

1 villager
1 Seer
1 parity Hunter (wins for good if the final game state is Hunter+Wolf)
1 Sorcerer (searches for Seer)
1 Wolf

With players that know what they're doing, this can be deliciously evil and wracked with paranoia, although with inexperienced players I don't know.

This game will never last more than 2 days, since after Day/Night 1, you'll be down to 3 players, and then there'll be a lynch, and the game is over.

With 6, one could add a second villager, perhaps, and the game still wouldn't last more than 2 days, since after the Day 2 vote, you'd end up with a nightkill to reach parity. However, the risk that comes with having 6 in the game is that it's much easier for there to be ties in voting - the optimal Werewolf scenarios generally have odd numbers during the day, and even numbers at night. Should Day 2 end up with the Wolf/Sorcerer vs., say, Seer/Villager, and everyone pretty much has figured out who is who, then the votes may become hopelessly deadlocked at 2-2.

Solution - find a 7th
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
United States
Clay
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
davidme wrote:
I'd start with a pure, simple game: 1 wolf, 5 villagers, 1st-turn Vigilante (Start with a daytime elimination, then whoever dies gets to point immediately at someone who is also eliminated).

Would the extra kill from the 1st-turn vigilante shorten the game by one round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Uhlenkamp
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I recently played a lot of these variations with a group and they seemed to work really well. We also came up with an interesting one that everyone enjoyed quiet a bit.

Werewolf x1
Hunter x1
Mason x2
Cupid x1
Villager x1
Villager/Pacifist/Old Hag x1

They way we did it was so that cupid would be given the extra card after having picked the lovers.
It was interesting in the fact that right away one person could be trying to back up two people, without there being a Seer.
Its also fun because it came down to just the Werewolf and the Hunter so it was somewhat of a stalemate.
The Pacifist also made things really suck when it came down to 4 living players during the daytime because unless someone was willing to vote themselves dead, it'd have to come to no one getting lynched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl Ramrod wrote:
davidme wrote:

Would the extra kill from the 1st-turn vigilante shorten the game by one round?

Not at all. The game would still be two rounds:

Round 1 Day:

Lynch (5 players left)
Vigilante kill (4 players left)

Round 1 Night:

Night kill (3 players left)

Round 2:

Final lynch (2 left)

The Vigilante kill right off the bat is a great way to get even-numbered games away from the tie-vote scenario discussed earlier. I adopted it when I first encountered it at GenCon while playing with Dave (davidme), and I've used it ever since!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.