Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up this game as I had already bought and played 'It's Alive' from Reiver Games and enjoyed it, so thought I would give this one a go.

Quick game overview for those who haven't played it yet. Sumeria is a game where you have to place pieces know as 'traders' to gain control of city state areas and thus collect the most influence counters to win the game.

I read the rules while my daughters popped out the pieces and set up the game, which they found easy to do. The pieces being made of sturdy card stood up well to the ministrations of little fingers and should whether much wear and tear I thought.

My daughters quickly learnt the rules and which places where the best to put their 'trader' pieces. Usually this was in a city-state that would make the one that daddy had the most 'trader' pieces in move to the right and thus lose power and the ability to gain influence counters.

The game flowed quickly with pieces being placed and moved without to much AP each turn. We often forgot to move the turn counter however and thus forgot which turn it was and how many turns we had already had. This led to some confusion at first but we finally worked out a simple plan to remember to do this.

It soon became apparent that it wasn't always a good idea to put all your traders in one city-state but space them out instead and thus give yourself more options when it came to your turn. If a player did hog a city state the other two usually played to bring it down in power so that it could not be used to claim influence counter.

The most interesting bit each turn was trying to figure out how to move your pieces to bring another players city-states power down but also increase a city states power where you had the most traders.

The game was good fun but the only problem we really found was that the player who had the fewest traders in the first ascendant city always went last. This caused some grief occasionally when it ended up being the same player over and over again. We may look at changing this rule slightly to see what effect it has the next time we play.

The first game took a little while but we then played another two in quick succession, although I still got ganged up on and only just managed to scrape a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya James,

Going last in a round is a slight advantage, hence giving it to the person who did least well that turn. Since it's almost impossible for the same city-state to be ascendant two rounds in a row the start player will usually change between rounds - though not always.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorin Octavian
Romania
flag msg tools
CaptainJax wrote:
Hiya James,

Going last in a round is a slight advantage, hence giving it to the person who did least well that turn. Since it's almost impossible for the same city-state to be ascendant two rounds in a row the start player will usually change between rounds - though not always.

Cheers,

Jack

Hi Jack,

and thank you for this cool game. I'm enjoying it a lot - great game!
Well, James is somehow true in what he said.
For example, in a 4-play session, it happened for me (player X) to be in exactly the same regions as another player from the table (player Y). Almost each time it happened for me (X) to gain control of the first area and that player (Y) to came in 2nd place. This resulted in another player (Z) to be the first at the beginning of the next round. At the end of the game this another player (Z) was the player that scored less points than everyone... I also think that the player that is the last on a turn is the most powerful, as he may decide the zones influence. But I think that a variant, in establishing this last player per round, may be reviewed...
Kind of "the player that gained lesser points from the last round will become the last player" in the following round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.