Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the intro scenario with our gaming group last week and the consensus was that the game felt like too much of a grind.

What changes can we make to the game so that:

- There are fewer creature spawns
- The end bosses aren't so much of a joke

We have the RTL expansion... will this help? Will any of the other expansions help?

Off the top of my head, I could imagine doubling or tripling the hit points of all creatures in the final room of a dungeon. In addition, allowing far fewer spawn cards to be played.

Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, the intro scenario seems to have been designed with the mindset that the OL is a veteran player, and the heroes have never seen a game with dice before.

As the OL is busy trying to master all the cards and abilities and probably has an initially steeper learning curve than the heroes, this results in a cakewalk for the heroes that takes much too long.

You might want to consider another play, of a different scenario, before adding houserules. You might consider downloading a shorter scenario from the FFG Quests web site.

But creatures are, as written, going to drop very fast, and there will be a constant supply of them coming in.

Sorry, I've played with various houserules, but not really aimed at the exact changes you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the FFG Quests website these days?
I've lost it since they updated all their forums . . .

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first two scenarios are cakewalks for the heroes. Jump up to #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FFG quests are in their support tab of Descent webpage.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

You have to be signed in under a user name for them to become available I believe.

OP, please do not think about changing anything until you get to the later quests. The first quest is a very introductive quest for everyone. The Overlord does in fact have a steep learning curve, so if you go and start houseruling, you will soon realize that the houserules are only going to confuse the REAL rules when you get to later quests and want to revert back to the as written rules.

Remember, you are only allowed to play one spawn card a turn as the overlord.

Do what you please with the Road to Legend expansion, however in my head I will play as many quests as I can of early expansions so we all know and understand the many facets of this game. Once you start adding in ALL the rules of ALL expansions you will not only be messing up JitD rules, but also RtL rules. That is only my opinion though. Plus, in my head, the quests look really fun and should be enjoyed before you break out the new expansions.

TLDR; Do not houserule or think the game broken until you finish the first 4-5 quests. This is a great game in my eyes and the first quest had me thinking the same as you. IF you are introducing a new group to the game by all means houserule the shit out of that first quest to make it a fun introductive quest, after that, loose all the houserules and revert back to normal for the following quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
O, and...

The only houserule that has carried over for me in later quests.

2 heroes = OL draws one card per turn.

3 heroes = OL draws two cards per turn (normal ruling).

4 heroes = OL draws three cards per turn.

I believe I got this from the one and only MrSkeletor himself.

one more thing, when I DID houserule the first quest, I made the final boss have a fear of 3 or 4, makes it a bit more fun. Fear makes the heroes spend their first 3 or 4 surges on the 'fear' effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeyMike79 wrote:
We played the intro scenario with our gaming group last week and the consensus was that the game felt like too much of a grind.

What changes can we make to the game so that:

- There are fewer creature spawns

We have the RTL expansion... will this help? Will any of the other expansions help?

Off the top of my head, I could imagine doubling or tripling the hit points of all creatures in the final room of a dungeon. In addition, allowing far fewer spawn cards to be played.

Any other ideas?

How many heroes did you play with?
Did you follow the spawning rules? (once per turn, only when heroes can't see the spawn point (monsters don't block LOS), must be revealed area, etc)

I would also suggest that heroes shouldn't be lingering around. In the first dungeon there are very few places where the heroes should be for more than one turn.

When I play overlord, my bread and butter is traps. I spend very little on spawning, it's more a delay mechanism for me than anything else. That's why I love kobolds and trapmaster. Cheap, cheap traps with added damage devil

So, considering you can only spawn once per turn, and the most creatures that can come in with a single spawn card is 3, I'm not sure how spawning can become a problem unless the heroes are all bunched up and completely restricting their LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Use the spawn counter from return to ledgend.

AGREED! This will definitely help.

For our group, Road to Legend wore this game out. We played regularly and finished our first campaign...or did IT finish US?!? After all those weeks of play, I sold off my Descent stuff and never cared to play again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OnlyHuman wrote:

We tried this out last night, and it was a bit much. Not only was the OL burning through the deck incredibly fast, he was getting tons of threat as well. Once he got the evil genius, it was pretty much game over.

Not to our tastes, but I how this could've worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeyMike79 wrote:

My issue with Descent is that it seems as though the point of many of the quests is for the OL to prevent the Heroes from progressing. If the Heroes get to the Boss, it's usually over. The OL needs to stop them from getting to the final room. It's not a game structure that I like (one player's job is to make the game go slower and take longer).

RTL will exacerbate the game. If you like it and enjoy the game as it is, it will probably make it even more fun. If you have some misgivings about the game, it will enhance those as well. The other expansions are pretty good and add a lot, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:
OnlyHuman wrote:

We tried this out last night, and it was a bit much. Not only was the OL burning through the deck incredibly fast, he was getting tons of threat as well. Once he got the evil genius, it was pretty much game over.

Not to our tastes, but I how this could've worked.

I guess. I dunno, my heroes are good and there would be no way to defeat them without the extra threat. I still have only gone through the deck once in any quest, so I still do not see that as a problem.

Play what works for your group :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.