Popular Tags: [View All]
Agustin Kapuno
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject: Medals and Decorations
I am still awaiting my copy of Space Alert from CoolStuffInc. cry While I am waiting I was wondering if medals and decorations could be introduced in this game. The ranks are based on a point system as players go through the missions. I am thinking more on exceptional actions done by a player during a mission that cannot be quantified by points based on a table. Here are my ideas.

1. Only the Captain can nominate another player and only one can be chosen per mission if any.
2. There must be a full consensus by the other players (except the nominee of course).
3. The act of heroism must be extraordinary in game terms. Awarding players who are just doing their normal job is not acceptable.

If other people can think of any more qualifying conditions, please add them. As for the decorations/medals, here are some that I thought of.

1. Medal of Valor - for performing an extraordinary feat that caused the saving of the lives of the rest of the crew and the ship.
2. Meritorious Conduct Under Fire - for performing above and beyond the call of duty under enemy fire.
3. Purple Heart - for being wounded by the enemy in the performance of his/her duties.
4. Campaign Badge - for completing a campaign without the loss of a ship.
5. Gunnery Badge (Tactical Only) - for destroying 3 enemy ships. Additional ships can be represented as oak leaves(6 ships) and clusters (9+ ships).
6. Close Combat Badge (Security Only) - for repelling on 3 occasions enemy boarders. Oaks leaves (6) and clusters (9+) can be added.

I think this will add more color to the game as players look back at their accomplishments. Maybe we can even put up a Board of Inquiry in BGG to do the decoration approval.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea. Play the game a few times and see how you can work it into the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chemist .
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's try not to turn everything into a video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agustin Kapuno
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDSUChemTA wrote:

You are always free not to use any user mods created here. I am requesting for creative suggestions not snide and useless comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
niels s
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDSUChemTA wrote:

I just love your negative approach. "don't do this, don't change that, don't whine about what you don't like, no you're wrong". You remind me of how important change is, and I hope you annoy enough people to make them realize that this is what they really want!

BTW I agree that whining is not good. But motivating a company to improve their next edition is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
niels s
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of medals, and would like to expand on that. I'm not sure how yet, but I have some suggestions to think about:

- These medals make it look like a war game. I think you will agree when you play this game that it is much more then that. I think it would be even better to let the medals reflect the possible actions in the game, like Supreme Robot Commander, or Flying Ace.

- Collecting medals should lead to something. I like the idea that not only successful missions but also successful actions can lead to a higher individual score. It motivates people to make the best use of their actions.

- I don't like the idea to collect points for medals. That only leads to extra administration. Either you get a medal or you don't, maybe some medals give you a better ranking then others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm all for anything in co-op games that gives you a better sense of individual ownership over your player. Biggest problem I have is that most co-op games feel like a collective effort to the point where you feel no relation to your player other than the fact that you are the one who actually moves him (unless he's far away on the board). It's an interesting quandary, and nearly every co-op game I've played has this problem (Pandemic in particular).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.