Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Horn
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the game designer, Kevin McPartland, checks in on this every now and then, and this is primarily asked of him.

I just bought the game and trying to get friends to play, but there are many rules questions already, and I don't have time to check every post on BGG to see if others have the same questions. I also know there is an official errata of the Designer's Notes. Any chance of GMT putting together an official Errata/FAQ of the rules?

Thanks for any info on this you might have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT has living rules on their website for the game.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-43-conquest-of-paradise.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Horn
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Living Rules, last published in April 2008, are identical to the original 2007 rules included in the game, with the exception that they are printed in color, whereas the original rules were printed in B&W.

No help there, and more than a year behind the FAQ curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roderick Plain
Costa Rica
Rohrmoser
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No, they aren't identical. There are some tiny changes on page 5, 6 and 9, that are noted by a vertical line drawn to the left of the affected paragraphs.

I don't know about any other issues that should be fixed. At least not from here or ConsimWorld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Horn
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are absolutely right on two counts. The changes are tiny, and they are marked with vertical lines. I don't know how I missed that. Thanks for your observations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, yes I do check in from time to time

What Roderick said about the Living Rules- there's only a few outright corrections, and they are marked with a line in the margin.

I have been rather remiss about the FAQ. Sonja compiled a very nice FAQ, and posted it with a link off of the CoP page here at BGG; it's right here:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcnxr79f_11hh8zdxtp

I would have done things a bit differently, mainly editing out a few of the more obvious questions, and maybe organizing it differently. But this is a very good FAQ, and I'd call it nearly official.

The most popular FAQ topic involves when you can flip your pieces face down or face up. The short answer is that you can only flip your Canoes (Transport and War), Colonies, and Warriors during the Movement section of your Movement & Combat Step. That's it. But some tricky points include the rules about revealing pieces involved in Battle, and the fact that you can Build pieces either face-up, or face-down.

The other common sticking point that folks seem to have is that you can reveal your face-down discovered Island Group Tiles at any time, and you can reveal your face-down Arts & Culture Cards at any time. And any time means any time! You can even reveal Cards in the middle of Battle, after the die is rolled but before the effect is executed. (To avoid any card-play conflicts, a Pa Card will always take precedence over any other card, even if it's revealed after another card that might effect the Battle die roll; this almost never comes up, and it's the only card-play conflict that's possible.)

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Edit: Mike, don't worry about asking questions that have already been asked; it's no trouble to answer again. I would never consider going through all the old posts, and even Sonja's FAQ is rather long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Horn
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin,

Many Thanks for your personal response. Some designers never bother to see what the community thinks of their product and take no time to answer questions. You obviously care about your creation if you are still checking in two years after. Kudos to GMT as well, who do a better job than almost all others in offering Living Rules, updates and FAQ.

Enjoying the game so far, questions and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Some designers never bother to see what the community thinks of their product...

I don't understand this attitude at all! My main reason for pursuing the publication of the game was to share it with others- hoping they'd enjoy it as much as I do. And my greatest reward has been hearing tales of those who have enjoyed the game- coming from so many places around the world!

So, thank you much for the kind words.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.