BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Not Your Average Geek? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ran across the following description of a typical BGG user (it's from this Geeklist). In what ways do you differ from the norm described? And how do the differences affect your gaming preferences or your experiences in BGG and in your gaming hobby?

Quote:
cerulean wrote:
The median modal BGG user is a 35 year old heterosexual American male, height 5'-9" (178cm), dark brown hair and blue eyes. He is a native English speaker with a familiarity of French, Spanish, or German. His Meyers-Briggs profile is INT?, and he is righthanded. He has a bachelor's degree, works in IT/computers, and makes about $40,000 a year. He has one sibling, is married, and has/expects one or two children. He is a secular person with liberal political inclinations. He owns a house and one car, which he uses to travel to work. He owns 40 games and has rated 50. He plays games on Saturdays at home with 3 or 4 other people. He doesn't have a color preference, but tends to pick blue or green.

Me, I'm much older than the guy described above (54). I suppose that has the biggest effect on my gaming. I have fond memories of some older games, and I don't have the energy or desire to keep up with the latest fads. I've also lost the patience I once had for very long or complicated games, so a game has to be pretty short and sweet if I'm to like it nowadays.

My Myers-Briggs type is INFP, and I think that has a significant effect too. Most gamers are NTs, apparently--a more logic-oriented kind of person than I am. NTs enjoy strategic planning, which obviously plays a big role in many board games. NFs like me are apt to be conflict avoidant and go more by impressions, whims, or emotions than logic. I find I'm drawn more to a game's theme or "aura" than anything else. And it's a little slow and difficult for me to become good at a game. Planning feels like work to me, and conflict feels like a nasty fight. So, I can enjoy what's sometimes derided as "multiplayer solitaire," and I can't stand games like Diplomacy.

I work as an editor at a nonprofit company and make less than the average salary named above. But I don't think that affects my gaming (except that I can't buy all the games I'd like to).

No children--which I guess gives me more time for gaming.

I'm a spiritual person and a libertarian, so I differ from the typical Geek both religiously and politically. No problem as long as we steer clear of those touchy subjects, I guess.

I play games most every day, but almost never with 3 or 4 people. Usually it's just me, playing a solitaire game or a single-player computer game. Once in a while, I talk my wife into playing. At the moment, I happen to be playing a PBEM wargame with someone.

In other respects, I guess I am typical.

How 'bout you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
cerulean wrote:
The median modal BGG user is a 35 year old heterosexual American male, height 5'-9" (178cm), dark brown hair and blue eyes. He is a native English speaker with a familiarity of French, Spanish, or German. His Meyers-Briggs profile is INT?, and he is righthanded. He has a bachelor's degree, works in IT/computers, and makes about $40,000 a year. He has one sibling, is married, and has/expects one or two children. He is a secular person with liberal political inclinations. He owns a house and one car, which he uses to travel to work. He owns 40 games and has rated 50. He plays games on Saturdays at home with 3 or 4 other people. He doesn't have a color preference, but tends to pick blue or green.

I am a little older, taller, make more money, am single (but with SO), will never have kids, work at home, own and rated many more games, and will play games every day (although it usually works out to 2-3, not because of me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maia McGrath
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am female. I love high-confrontation war-game style and longer, more complex euros if we can squeeze one in for a weeknight. I am a travel agent and have virtually no computer knowledge aside from email and internet. My husband and I play games on average 5 days a week, most of those with multiple games played. Obviously have no children based on the above statement (not by choice). I am pretty close to agnostic and have a conservative libertarian political affiliation. We own over 100 games purchased in less than a year and prefer to buy games over most other expenditures so see that number growing. I always want to be purple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Quote:
cerulean wrote:

Let's see I am older, 55. I am not an American male, though I have lived in the USA. I am taller 6' 2". Brown hair (with a fair bit of grey) and Brown eyes. I am a native English speaker, but I don't know any other languages . I don't know what Meyers-Briggs is. I am right handed. I don't have a degree but I do work in IT. I make about double the salary quoted. I had one sibling (my sister died). I am married and I have two children. I am probably more Conservertive than Liberal. I own a house and a car, though as I live in London I go to work by train. (Roads are really busy and there is a congestion charge for driving into London during the week.) I have over 200 games and I have rated them all. I mostly play games during the week at London on Board, though we also meet first Sunday of every month, so Saturday is the day I am least likely to play games. I usually choose Red or Purple (If available)

I match on a few things, but I would say overall I am NOT an average geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 2 years younger (not that it makes so much of a difference), quite shorter (10cm less), and Hispanic. Also, I live in Colombia.

I have one more sibling (2 sisters), and already have one cute baby son. Don't know if I want any more, though.

I make less money (not very good salaries in Colombia... although life is a lot cheaper than in the USA), and have less games (not because I don't want to get them, but because getting them here is very expensive).

On the other hand, I've rated (and commented) thrice as much games as the average. I don't own them, but thanks to some great game sites, I've played a lot of them! cool

EDIT: Oh, I'm an ESTJ... quite contrary to the average personality type, I guess. The only thing that most geeks share on these traits, though, is obviouslt the "T"! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...blue eyes...

Really? That's odd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll wrote:
The modal BGG user is a 35 year old heterosexual American male, height 5'-9" (178cm), dark brown hair and blue eyes. He is a native English speaker with a familiarity of French, Spanish, or German. His Meyers-Briggs profile is INT?, and he is righthanded. He has a bachelor's degree, works in IT/computers, and makes about $40,000 a year. He has one sibling, is married, and has/expects one or two children. He is a secular person with liberal political inclinations. He owns a house and one car, which he uses to travel to work. He owns 40 games and has rated 50. He plays games on Saturdays at home with 3 or 4 other people. He doesn't have a color preference, but tends to pick blue or green.

Crossed out the wrong bits cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, I'll bite:

Quote:

The median modal BGG user is a 35 year old heterosexual American male, height 5'-9" (178cm), dark brown hair and blue eyes. He is a native English speaker with a familiarity of French, Spanish, or German. His Meyers-Briggs profile is INT?, and he is righthanded. He has a bachelor's degree,

Wow, this is eerily 100% correct. Now we begin to differ:

Quote:

works in IT/computers, and makes about $40,000 a year.

Work in engineering and make more than that salary.

Quote:

He has one sibling, is married, and has/expects one or two children.

One sibling, engaged, and expecting 2-3 kids.

Quote:

He is a secular person with liberal political inclinations.

I'm secular however am a moderate to slight right-of-center politics.

Quote:

He owns a house and one car, which he uses to travel to work.

Good, we're back to 100% correct statements.

Quote:

He owns 40 games and has rated 50. He plays games on Saturdays at home with 3 or 4 other people. He doesn't have a color preference, but tends to pick blue or green.

I own 163 games, however I counted expansions and games which can be played by a standard deck of cards. Almost coincidentally, I've rated 164 games. I usually play during the week since I spend the weekends with my fiance. My color preference is red since it stands out the most and the main color of my college.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A decade younger; half a foot taller; dirty blond with hazel eyes; I only speak english (but I just got Rosetta Stone); I think Meyers-Briggs is almost useless (but I would be INT?); I'm ambidextrous (but wright right handed); college drop-out; game designer; and I qualify for "in poverty" this last year.

I do have one sibling and am married, and we might have some kids. I am an atheist liberal too. I own 1 car...

... but I work at home (and I use my bike for anything within 5 miles). If you ignore expansions I only own 5 games, and I've rated 326 (that's because I'm lazy and haven't gotten around to rating everything I've played). I play almost every day. The number of people I play with is varies a lot. I like picking the most innocuous color like natural wood, gray, white, or yellow; or I pick the loudest most violent color like red or black (depending on what message I want to send).

Not all that close to the mold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three-ish pieces of data accurate, maybe four...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets see:

Younger, taller (slightly), significantly higher income, lawyer, not IT guy, no kids, brown eyes, other than that pretty accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I am better, stronger, and faster. I am the Six Million Dollar Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Degree: Ph.D.
Income: >> $40K
Kids: 2
Cars: 2
House: Owned
Games: > 250
Height: 5'5"
Hair: Brown fringe on bald top
Eyes: Blue
Religion: Pastafarian
Politics: Almost none, to liberal
Work: Patent Agent (working on computer all day)
Languages: English very small smatterings of Spanish and Japanese
Game Playing: Saturdays and Sundays with kids
Color Preference: Red, Orange, or othe fire colors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the one that threw off the curve

Quote:
cerulean wrote:

Younger, shorter, bisexual woman with brown eyes, who used to make almost 40K, but now makes less. I don't work in IT. Not married, no kids, don't want any. We rent, and I don't own a car, though now the household has one, as LordDillon came with one. I ride the bus to work, and used to bus or walk to my old job. I own over 100 games, rated most of them (the ones I've played - some are thrifted to trade). I play any day of the week with LordDillon, and will pick purple if it's available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm older, taller, have different eyes, ENTJ (strong E, middling strong NT, weak J), no degree, >>> income, divorced, secular is inaccurate but correcting is a long discussion, somewhere right of Attila the Hun and Left of Mother Thersa, ~200 games, most rated, play on Monday and Tuesday and some Wednesdays and some Thursdays and some Saturdays, green>white>yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I crossed out the wrong bits for me!!

Quote:
cerulean wrote:

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
Older, shorter, female, an artist so therefore less money. Have more games & have rated most. Forgot to say I play orange if there or pink or red if not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
The median modal BGG user is a:

35 49 year old

heterosexual American male,

height 5'-9" 10"(181cm),

dark brown hair . (With more and more gray each year)

blue Green eyes.

He is a native English Canadian speaker (We don't use the "F" word)

with a familiarity of French, Spanish, or German.

His Meyers-Briggs profile is INTJ,

he is righthanded.

He has a bachelor's degree, Some college.

Works in IT/computers the Electronic Entertainment Industry.

Makes about $40,000 way too much considering how much time he spends on BGG during the work day.

He has one (Living) sibling,

Is married.

Has/expects one or two children grown child.

He is a secular person who is enamored with lofty ideas.

Of liberal political Lawful good alignment inclinations with neutral tendencies.

He owns a house high end computer that would have been worth the down payment on a small house years ago.

And one two cars, which he uses alternates to travel to work.

He owns 40 about 50 games and has rated about 50.

He plays games on Saturdays at home with 3 or 4 other people Whenever he can with anyone willing to play 'cause he's desperate and pathetic like.

He doesn't have a color preference, but tends to pick blue or green. Likes RED, but will settle for any color other than black.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Sexuality: indeterminate
Degree: B.A., M.A., pending Ph.D.
Meyers-Brigg: no idea
Handedness: right
Income: 10-15K
Kids: 0, none planned
Cars: 0, will never own
Walk (55 mins) or run (25 mins) to work
House: rented bachelor apartment
Games: 103
Rated: 159
Height: 1m73
Hair: Salt-and-pepper
Eyes: Blue
Religion: Animist/Atheist
Politics: Social Justice Lefty
Work: PhD student, educator
Languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Spanish, Korean
Game Playing: Weekdays at home with my wife, Saturdays at friend's house or game club in a shisha cafe
Color Preference: none, but I like to play the same colour all session so I don't get confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a decade younger,
live with my heterosexual partner,
no kids, perhaps in the distant future,
am a firm disbeliever in a conscious God (but not necessarily a God),
share a car in which my current surroundings forces me to drive frequently,
have a BS and some grad school,
am far left of the political spectrum (but use reason as opposed to reaction in my thoughts),
own 135 games including expansions, 100 without,
rated 270 w/expansions, 252 w/out.
I have blue eyes and brown hair,
am left-handed,
choose the color blue excessively (when I'm not, there often winds up being a problem when I do stuff to the blue player absent-mindedly),
speak English and a little German,
play mostly casual games on Tuesdays, Go on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and more difficult games on Thursdays and Fridays, and occasional Saturdays and Sundays, in addition to regular 1-1 gaming with my partner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I'm older - 44. Black hair, brown eyes. I don't recall my Meyers-Briggs. I'm sinister (for most things). I only have some college, and make more than average (when employed). I have four brothers, three of which also game. My wife and I each have our own cars, and I only sometimes drive to work (often I take the train).

I own perhaps six times the average number of games, but have rated perhaps less than three times the average. Alas, I'm often busy with other things on weekends, so my regular play days tend to be on week nights, but the amount of folks is mostly right. When I manage to make the local meet up, it's more.

I do prefer purple, if it's to be had. purpletraingrapecameld10-6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
What's wrong: I'm 19 and a uni student without a degree, career, or SO so that throws off half of it. I'm also taller and have brown eyes, two brothers, am deeply spiritual, and do not own and have not rated that many games. I also play games whenever and wherever I can get them, with whoever is available.

What's right: I speak near-fluent French (and halting Korean), am an INTJ, and own a car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats certainly closer than any horoscope I've ever red...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, they got the married bit right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.