Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't normally post these kind of posts, but I really have no idea on this game. On the plus side, it's pretty highly ranked, and geek buddies also seem to like it. But what I'm worried about is all the text on the cards (saw a few pictures). I don't generally like to do much reading while playing, or inflict that on others (namely wife & kids). I'm curious whether there are others out there who tend to not prefer a lot of reading in games, and what you think of CE. Also would appreciate if anyone would be willing to look at my ratings and see if this looks like a match. I'm not even sure what games to compare with, other than based on theme. I have nothing for or against sci-fi, but admittedly sci-fi games often seem to fall flat for me, e.g. TI3, Starcraft. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toomai Glittershine
Canada
flag msg tools
CE does involve a significant amount of reading. However, if you introduce elements gradually, then you will start to remember things that will no longer have to be read, and the simplest things need to be read less often.

For example, most of the green (simple) aliens are easy to understand, and therefore you won't be having to read their poweer texts that much.

As for cards, most of them become obvious enough once you've played a few times. The big wall-of-text culprits are the flares, but if you keep them out for a few games, you should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you'll run in to any problems with too much reading. Each player will usually run into only one to two Flares during the game and most are fairly straight forward.

With the powers, just have each player read their selected one out loud to all the players when you start the game and except for a check here or there, you won't need to read them again.

If you disliked TI3 and Starcraft, Cosmic Encounter is the antithesis of those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on some of your rankings I would say you definitely maybe would like CE. I consider Bang to be at about the same complexity and the need for 4 players to make it better. There is also kind of a social aspect to the game that I like.

Normal game play does not require a ton of reading. At first when you get your alien there is a bit of reading on the card to explain their unique ability. Along the bottom of most all the cards is a breakdown of a turn with the part that the card can be played in highlighted. This is hugely important and helpful.

As noted before, play without flares and the tech cards at first. That will keep things simpler until you know the flow.

CE is never the same game twice and it feels very chaotic at first. I've only managed a few plays and it always seems that one of the players appears way too strong- only to have his butt handed to him once the other players figure a way to beat him. The "destiny" deck which decides who you go after is great-it keeps people, like family members, from getting picked on and eliminated early.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heagerty
United States
Stephens City
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll like the game but you might wind up disliking your opponents.

After playing a few times tonight I realized this game has a little bit of Diplomacy in it.

The game is a lot of fun to play and is nowhere near as complicated as the other sci-fi games you mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlemute wrote:

If you disliked TI3 ... , Cosmic Encounter is the antithesis of those games.

Really? I've found Cosmic Encounter to be a great set up for TI3 and then from that even more complex multi-player CDG Wargames such as Here I Stand or even The Napoleonic Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.