United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this limited access to BGG is absolutely killing me, but I still wanted to make time for a poll, so here we go...

If you want updates on when new polls are posted, or want to look at the results of prior polls, I have set up a subscription thread here = http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/328439

Poll: The 49th TGIF Poll
How often do you purchase boardgames from stores or websites that don't specialize in games?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Always
0.0% 0
Frequently
3.4% 8
Occasionally
27.7% 65
Rarely
57.0% 134
Never
11.9% 28
Voters 235
If you had to guess, what percent of your game collection was not aquired from an online or brick-and-mortar game store?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
0%
2.5% 6
1% - 10%
43.2% 102
11% - 20%
19.9% 47
21% - 30%
11.4% 27
31% - 40%
7.2% 17
41% - 50%
2.5% 6
51% - 60%
1.7% 4
61% - 70%
5.1% 12
71% - 80%
4.7% 11
81% - 90%
1.7% 4
91% - 100%
2.1% 5
Voters 236
This poll is now closed.   237 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:00 am

Question #3 - If you have one, what is the best game you have purchased from a website or store that doesn't specialize in games?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, I didn't mean to allow multiple answers on that second question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best game purchased from a store that doesn't specialize in games would have to be Wits & Wagers or Snorta!. I got them both at Target. They are both party games which I don't mind playing (which is saying something).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple at Walmart. Some at Target. A few via Amazon.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Sorry Sliders from Meijer when they had their $10 special. I think I went to 5 different Meijers to find 4 copies to give away as gifts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found an educational card game called Krill at a science stuff shop in Canada. No a game store, they sell microscopes, rock samples, t-shirts, bugs in resin, and the like. A while back I got rid of it; I thought I'd played it out. A friend then asked for it to play again. So, I went online and finally found a copy of it at some science shop in Arizona.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oasis from Amazon may be the only game I haven't ordered from a "conventional" source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anytime I don't want to spend enough to get free shipping, I always look at Amazon, because I have the Amazon Prime. Sometimes I can find a good deal there. Best find: I bought Goa for $35 from Amazon when it was OOP (this was last January).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought a couple from Amazon, Target, Tuesday Morning and WalMart and I've picked up a fair number from Barnes and Noble during their clearances. The best game I've picked up like this? I would have to go with Liar's Dice (Perudo).

Edit: I hadn't thought about thrift stores and Half-Price Books. I have gotten some there, but I am not sure that this changes my best game.

Edit (again!): I also forgot about buying games when I was younger. In the 1970s, I was able to get all manner of games at the Base Exchange, Avalon Hill games at Toys 'R' Us, Avalon Hill and SPI games at the local drug store and 3M games in department stores like the Denver and May D&F. Considering these additional sources, I would have to say that the best game I have from a non-game store is Acquire, which was bought at either the BX or a department store (its been close to forty years - forgive my memory being fuzzy!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillars of the Earth from Barnes & Noble, Le Havre from Amazon, or a bunch of my thrifted games that we have been having fun with (Sequence, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Blott wrote:
Question #3 - If you have one, what is the best game you have purchased from a website or store that doesn't specialize in games?

My copy of Sjoelen was mostly purchased at Home Depot... my Dad & I built it.

If that doesn't count... Mahjong from Value Village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you counting thrift stores? Because I owe almost half my collection to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy a number of games every year from German Amazon. They are quick, have a lot of things in stock, and low shipping fees. My wife studies german and orders student material from them at least thrice a year, and I usually add a game or two each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Like Håkan, I use amazon.de regularly. They have a wide range of mainstream euros, and fixed €6 shipping to the UK. I've bought one or two games from amazom.co.uk, but their range is much, much, smaller.

I bought Funkenschlag: EnBW direct from a German electricity company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Bananagrams from a science-flavored toy store in Mendocino (kind of like a Discovery Channel store, but independently owned). They did have a handful of games, but it was mostly dedicated to do-it-yourself building and science kits.

I got Upwords from a thrift shop in Mammoth Lakes, CA, but I haven't played it (though I think I will like it when and if I ever get around to it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my copy of Puerto Rico from a German shopping mall called Karstadt - they carry all sorts of items, most of them clothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 14
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Cathedral in a camping shop in New Zealand and lugged it all the way home to Ireland. It is the lovely wooden version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry! Sliders from Target... a few from amazon.de (before the pound took a dive against the euro!) Oh and Catan from a bookstore one Christmas... that started the whole thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth came from Forbidden Planet. They are a speciality store but games are not that speciality, although they do have a small selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
The Pillars of the Earth came from Forbidden Planet. They are a speciality store but games are not that speciality, although they do have a small selection.
Likewise I think my brother got Railways of the World for me from Forbidden Planet... and a few games have come from Travelling Man too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cristofani
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan, from eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
All of the Haba games I've bought have come from either Amazon (.de) or a b&m toy shop near where I work.

It used to be quite common for video game shops to also sell boardgames and RPGs. I bought a bunch of 3W games from one of them at 75% off when they got out of the market (like they all did eventually).

I bought two copies of a counter based wargame I had no real intention of playing for £1 each at a department store in Newry. They had clearly decided this game wasn't going to move along side all the copies of Trivial Pursuit and Hungry Hungry Hippoes. Incidentally I also bought 4 packs of Alpha MtG cards at that place.

I got a used copy of Battletech (with extras in the box) at a half price book store in Seattle.

I've bought multiple games secondhand from individuals and new from the publisher but I didn't really include them as either game or non-game sources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best game I got from a not-game-specific website?

War of the Ring. Got it new for $20 on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Louis XIV off of Ebay - I don't remember the price!

RattleSnake at my local Barnes & Noble for $7.00 (50% off) after Christmas last year.

The Powerpuff Girls: Saving the World Before Bedtime - Thrift Store.

Freight Train and many others at Amazon.

I've also acquired some via BGG trades and/or charity auctions.

I only recently started purchasing from online stores and have once visited a brick & mortar store (where I made some purchases)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfarers of Catan and Bananagrams from Barnes & Noble. The first one I got just because I had a gift certificate and I saw it was in their online store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.