Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: todo [+] [View All]
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Formula D looks great from Scott's video review. It would seem to be the default racing game.

I was just curious as to what other Geeks may recommend...

Daytona 500 looks great as well. The only reviewer compared it to a risk-taking/gambling game. He mentioned its play similar to Manila, and I love that game.

Please reply
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've had some mediocre to downright lousy experiences with racing games in the past, but tried out Snow Tails this week, and am really enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both (haven't played Formula D, but own Formula De).

Daytona 500 is out of print. However, Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix and Top Raceare both in print, and are the same type of system.

But FD is a better race game, but I enjoy the others also, but the auction makes them a different experience.

However, I wouldn't compare them to Manila. Which is another game I enjoy, but has quite a bit more luck and randomness than any of the 3 games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Play is similar to Manila, hmm? I've played both and don't see the comparison. Check out RoboRally and Um Reifenbreite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should look at Bolide. It's very realistic and quite a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
fun and fast = Formula D

realistic and challenging plus fun = Bolide

I prefer Bolide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Winner's Circle, Daytona 500 and Snow Tails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Kameoka
United States
San Gabriel
California
flag msg tools
mb
Call me old school but I would say Speed Circuit

Normandy wrote:
Formula D looks great from Scott's video review. It would seem to be the default racing game.

I was just curious as to what other Geeks may recommend...

Daytona 500 looks great as well. The only reviewer compared it to a risk-taking/gambling game. He mentioned its play similar to Manila, and I love that game.

Please reply
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Daytona 500 is really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolide is everything you loved about plane geometry. (I like geometry a lot more than Bolide).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are all way off. What you want is Monza.

Best racing game ever. Lots of strategy. Great components. Good re-playability. My gaming group could play it all night if they didn't have to be in bed by 19:30
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Powerboats. It's kind of like Formula D.
Also on the simpler side Ave Caesar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Hard to get but well worth it:
Das Motorsportspiel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Adkins
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings Norman,

Race games have a few flavors to choose from and it greatly depends upon what you are looking for as to what the recommendation should be.

Looking for a race theme with the main focus on wagering and risk managment? Try Winner's Circle or Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix.

Winner's Circle is all about betting on horses and using a die roll to help manage the risk you take with your betting tokens. Three races, most money wins.

Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix is bidding your cash against other players for a specific car, if that car claims a prize for placement you get said prize money. Hand management of your cards will help you improve your chances of a bigger payday. Three races, most money wins.

Looking for something on the lighter end? Try Formula D or Snow Tails.

Formula D is F1 racing through risk management and tactical use of limited resources. Some advanced planning is rewarded and very approachable to newbies. Has some issues with run away leader and lucky dice rolls. As you said already, the default race game.

Snow Tails is dogsled racing via hand management. Clever mechanics make use of players needing to do math, simple single numeral addition and subtraction. Far more satisfying than Formula D in terms of control but can be frustrating for the same reason. Fun and pretty fast once people get the "formula", 60 minutes or less. Small catch up mechanic helps run away leader issue.

Looking for the middle of the road in terms of ease of play and tactical play? Try TurfMaster or Breaking Away.

TurfMaster is a horse racing game that uses a masterful blend of luck and tactics. Both dice and hand management of cards are used in both short term and long term planning. Very expensive game, very much worth it. Offers more control to the player but not too much. Not exactly a simulation and not a "luck fest". Very cool catch up mechanic that keeps the race tight and rewards the player that can position himself well. Slightly longer game as 3 races are run with placement points awarded each race. Highest total wins.

Breaking Away is a lower quality (component wise) self published title that is extremely tactical and has no luck. Just player decision and math. Could be way too dry as it leans more towards simulation like play. My bet is that unless you know that you like either cycling or race games in general it may not hit the mark.

Looking for a more intensive simulation of racing? Try Bolide or Race the Wind.

Bolide is once again F1 racing. No luck involved, a simple yet brain burning mechanic that simulates the momentum of your car. Takes a lap or two to wrap your head around it but it sure is cool. Rule set is really bad due to translation issues but much help can be found here on BGG. Suffers from run away leader issues as it is a simulation.

Race the Wind is sailboat racing. Could be very boring for someone that is not into either sailing or racing in general. Once again the rules are a mess on this one, same company as Bolide. Familiarity with sailing terms is very useful in learning this game. Simulation heavy and pretty unforgiving. Rules are not overly complex, just poorly translated. Much help can be found here on BGG.

Hope some of this helped.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend you take a look at the following games:

RoboRally: medium level, emphasis on interaction and chaos
PitchCar: light dexterity game
Formula D: light to medium risk management
Mississippi Queen: light to medium racegame with lots of interaction
Circus Maximus: medium to high level brutal racing game
Bolide: medium level, emphasis on simulation
Powerboats: light to medium risk management
Techno Witches: light, spatial insight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like bycicle... Leader 1 or its spin off Giro d'Italia (the version for the 100 anniversary of Italian tour)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Vejrum
United Kingdom
Richmond
Surrey
flag msg tools
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
badge
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D was the default racing game, but I have found the new Powerboats game to be much more fun. It is light and quick but with enough tactics and calculated risk-taking for eveybody, both gamers and non-gamers, to love it.

For a longer and more complex racing game with "brains" - lots of strategy, tactics and resource management, I can strongly recommend Leader 1 (and its new, slightly expanded Giro d'Italia variant). This really captures the feel of bicycle racing, but it is probably mostly a gamers' game.

Winner's Circle is also great, but it is really more a betting game than a racing game. Everybody seems to really like this.

RoboRally is also great and an all-time classic, but usually it turns out to be more fighting than racing, at least when I play it. Great fun, but some people do not get it at all and hate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Höllviken
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula De is basicly a roll-and-move game with chrome. Do not misunderstand me I like it a lot.
In our gamiming group we have discovered Leader 1 as a very good racing game (for bicyles). This game has a lot more decision-making and stategy then Formula De.

I like both games, but if forced to chose betwin them I would pick Leader 1

Leader 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for SNOW TAILS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the variety of answers, it's pretty safe to say that there's room in your question for some fine-tuning. Are you looking for a game that supports a lot of players? What is the maximum time you want it to take? Does it matter whether it's cars or not? Is your emphasis on realism, or ease of play? Nice components or solid design? Is setup strategy important to you? In-game tactics?

You left it open to a lot of possibilities - none of which completely suit all of the possible preferences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
You wanted the best, You got the best, The hottest band in the World..KISS!
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with a lot of the posts here. below are my choices for what its worth.

Motor Racing based:

Formula De/D streets ahead in my opinion

Das Motorsportspiele clever dice mechanism great if played at speed!!

Bolide played once very challenging

Pitch Car great fun little bit of skill and judgement required

Horse Racing based:

Turfmaster good fun

The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game ability to influence others

Cycle Racing:

7 Tag (day) Rennen clever slipstreaming mechanism I think leader 1 and Giro D`Italia are similar

Others:

Robo Rally excellently frustrating and fun

Mississippi Queen good fun easy to learn (not suer if its still in print)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um Reifenbreite

Best racing game I've played. Much better than Formula De.

Republished in 1991 and still avaiable for sale here on BGG.

Spiel des Jahres for 1992 for good reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Based on the variety of answers, it's pretty safe to say that there's room in your question for some fine-tuning. Are you looking for a game that supports a lot of players? What is the maximum time you want it to take? Does it matter whether it's cars or not? Is your emphasis on realism, or ease of play? Nice components or solid design? Is setup strategy important to you? In-game tactics?

You left it open to a lot of possibilities - none of which completely suit all of the possible preferences.

Sure thing.

I guess what I am looking for is a racing game to fill the genre. I want a well rounded game collection and thought this was needed.

Naturally, I am a sucker for cool bits and a nice gameboard. I am also into mechanics. I understand Das Motorsportspiel has an interesting idea where a timer is used for your turn, no take backs, no do-overs, or you crash. I dont know if that is a variant, I am just feeding from my gaming group who played it and mentioned it. I need to do more research on these games mentioned.

It just didnt seem as if racing games were that abundant. Even when you go into 'categories' here on the Geek, the list is not large for racing. I just wanted to hear what my fellow Geeks might come up with as far as selection and opinion.

I am leaning toward Formula D, but I just want to make sure that there isnt a hidden gem in the mix that would be more my playstyle. (not a big fan of dice and run away leader type games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BartowWing wrote:
Um Reifenbreite

Best racing game I've played. Much better than Formula De.

Republished in 1991 and still avaiable for sale here on BGG.

Spiel des Jahres for 1992 for good reason.

Is that german-only, or is there an english version of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Normandy wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Sure thing.

I guess what I am looking for is a racing game to fill the genre. I want a well rounded game collection and thought this was needed.

Naturally, I am a sucker for cool bits and a nice gameboard. I am also into mechanics. I understand Das Motorsportspiel has an interesting idea where a timer is used for your turn, no take backs, no do-overs, or you crash. I dont know if that is a variant, I am just feeding from my gaming group who played it and mentioned it. I need to do more research on these games mentioned.

It just didnt seem as if racing games were that abundant. Even when you go into 'categories' here on the Geek, the list is not large for racing. I just wanted to hear what my fellow Geeks might come up with as far as selection and opinion.

I am leaning toward Formula D, but I just want to make sure that there isnt a hidden gem in the mix that would be more my playstyle. (not a big fan of dice and run away leader type games.)

Basically that is correct. Your moves are timed, and you aren't supposed to take back, once you move into a space you are there. It is a great part of what makes it challenging, especially since you are only allowed to change lanes on a "diagonal die" i.e. 2,3 or 5. This one gets me all the time. Most infractions only cause a spinout, not a crash, but you still get a flag and three flags means you're out.

If played without a timer and allowed time to think, DMSS becomes a fairly mundane race game. Played under the clock, with your mates razzing you to make your move, it captures some of the speed and stress of racing. Lots of fun.

Since it is nearly impossible to get, after talking to one of the designers I ended up making my own tracks and bought a set of the Micromachines Indy cars to play with. I used the track sections designed by Eddie Bee in the Speed Circuit section here on BGG, and simply modified the corner sections to work with DMSS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.