Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I would never start a thread like this.

However, I need to know if am I just missing something when it comes to modding?

What does a catalogue or an advertisement have to do with a game and why should it be in a gallery?

What I'm talking about are these:

Why? Why would anyone want to see an advertisement from a catalogue for these games? Is that not why we encourage people who have played the game to write session reports?

What am I missing here? Am I being too jaded and harsh when it comes to GeekModding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also don't know. So I guess I'm with you.

However, if you think it's irrelevant decline it on that reason. One geek, one vote...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game ads. I also like watching old tv commercials. And I love looking at magazine ads for computers from the 80s and 90s. I enjoy seeing how products were marketed in the past and I find it awesome that we are preserving some of these ads for future generations. But that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
joshp wrote:
I like the game ads. I also like watching old tv commercials. And I love looking at magazine ads for computers from the 80s and 90s. I enjoy seeing how products were marketed in the past and I find it awesome that we are preserving some of these ads for future generations. But that's just me.

I sorta agree. But these weren't old. And the image in question was one of a series I had the misfortune to mod. The submitter put in EVERY PAGE of the catalogue, so one for this game, one for that game, etc. I voted against them all but to no avail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
The submitter put in EVERY PAGE of the catalogue, so one for this game, one for that game, etc. I voted against them all but to no avail.

yuk

It would be nice if we could have a red 'X' button for images, like we have for forum threads and posts. At least, users could do something about this modding accidents even after they happened. By now, the only solution seems to form a 'League of Extraordinary Modders' and constantly patrol the BGG alleys. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's even stranger is a few of them will be rejected and a few accepted, even when they were submitted at roughly the same time, so one would assume were being modded by the same "geeks." This also happened with a couple of Wasbi photos of the recipes. Although there were already pictures of the recipes in the gallery, I approved them since I thought they were better and easier to read. 2/3 pics were approved and 1 rejected, so now there is not a full set, which just seems odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, the eternal discussion on image modding.

As long as Aldie doesn't set up a set of more specific rules for modding it's up to the community. I, for one, declined all the catalogue images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a few of the them and rejected them all. Not because of the fact they were catalogue pages but because they were all entered under the "creative" category. What's creative about these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind Reality wrote:
I saw a few of the them and rejected them all. Not because of the fact they were catalogue pages but because they were all entered under the "creative" category. What's creative about these?

It's the correct gallery.
"Game" = what comes in the box
"People" = game with peoples, focus on peoples
"creative" = anything else (artsy images, online implementations, modified components, ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
"creative" = anything else (artsy images, online implementations, modified components, ...)

I thought the correct gallery was "irrelevant".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:

It would be nice if we could have a red 'X' button for images, like we have for forum threads and posts. At least, users could do something about this modding accidents even after they happened.

That is an EXCELLENT suggestion. You should put up a separate post with that as the subject line to get it some attention. Then at the least if you go thru some gallery clogged with photos of every card and cute children with game pieces up their nose and cats in boxes, you can block those images and have a cleaner view next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rutten
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
the spunk plus the bomb plus the pump plus the torture instrument times frankie equalling the bang is an exclusive piece of ZTT exploitation
badge
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision. (mj)
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Blind Reality wrote:

Well actually "creative" is described as:

Geekmod wiki page wrote:
Creative - Images of the game that contain creative elements such as modified components or fun situations.

Doesn't sound like anything else to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do a google image search for a movie, the first thing that's going to come up is a poster... just a big advertisement for the movie. In the absence of a particular rule to the contrary, why shouldn't these images be allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Paolo Robino wrote:

It would be nice if we could have a red 'X' button for images, like we have for forum threads and posts. At least, users could do something about this modding accidents even after they happened.

That is an EXCELLENT suggestion. You should put up a separate post with that as the subject line to get it some attention. Then at the least if you go thru some gallery clogged with photos of every card and cute children with game pieces up their nose and cats in boxes, you can block those images and have a cleaner view next time.

Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb

I think that there should be a minimum time/post level that needs to be reached before allowing a person to mod. Like 100 posts and a year on the Geek or something. That way the modder has a more clear understanding of what is and is not worthy of approval. I know I have modded a couple of pics that I now would not. Some because at the time I thought that is the type of content the Geeks at large were after and we were merely critiquing photo quality. I may have approved the very photo of from the OP. blush Don't hate me as I was uneducated at the time. My education continues. This would not stop all unworthy photos but should slow down the GG mining. Some people are just trying to approve ANYTHING that will possible grant GG so they can score an avatar. It should be noted that my statement about "earning" the right to Mod would put me on the outside of the Mod camp waiting to achieve Mod status.

P.S. I am willing to accept GG donations for an Avatar to keep me from Modding. LOL

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a separate section for documents that come from a game publishers. For example, if it's another pamphlet for all of Fantasy Flight's Games great games, then that should go under the publisher entry of that same name rather than under the Battlestar Galactica game entry or Ingenius game entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.