Felix Factory
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Railroad Tycoon, Steam or Age of Steam?

This is a question I suspect will be asked a lot in the following months, but I was wondering if fellow BGG'ers could make a recommendation fitting my particular gaming group.

These are the details:
- We are a group of between 4 to 8, usually 4 to 5 on any given night. A game that plays well at 6 is a bonus but not essential, as we often split into two games of 3.
- We meet midweek, so our game length limit is about 3 hours. We get Imperial out on rare occasions (it takes us 4hrs), and Shogun a little more commonly (3.5hrs), but most games are in the 2 to 3 hour range (Puerto Rico, Tigris & Euphrates, El Grande, Agricola, Taj Mahal).
- We rarely play the same game in successive weeks. We cycle through about 8 games, once a week. So only half a dozen or so plays a year. Games which require more commitment than this generally aren't appropriate, a game that burns out after 20 plays isn't necessarily a downside.
- With this in mind though, while we like deep, even complex games, we find that games with lots of small and easy to forget rules don't go down so well.
- Imperial is at the groups limit in terms of depth of gameplay, and Battlestar Galactica is at (perhaps beyond) its limit in terms of sheer detail of rules.
- We enjoy close games. Games which are unforgiving or have runaway leader issues don't go down so well.
- We are competitive and enjoy interaction, but also enjoy the more subtle interactions that are par for course in most Euros.
And finally...
- Our favourite economic games are Princes of Florence and Puerto Rico. Shogun is probably the most commonly requested game in general (despite its length!) Settlers and Yspahan get played occasionally but are generally considered too light by the group. Aquire (with 5/6 players) was greeted with ambivalence for being too chaotic - Castillo aside, we like to control our destinies...

I hope this isn't too much detail...

We're looking for another economic game and have an unsatisfactory lack of trains at the table. I suspect the three games listed above all offer an experience which is comparable, I'm hoping those who are experienced with them may be able to suggest something that fits this particular group.

Much appreciated, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the experience would be somewhat similar but not necessarily comparable. Age of Steam and Steam are very similar but Steam removes some of the more unforgiving and brain-burnery mechanics. You can play Age of Steam with a Steam game though from what I've read - so if you buy Steam you'd have a choice of which rulesset to use.

Railroad Tycoon I don't personally recommend, though many like it. IMNSHO it has both usability issues (a gigantic board that is hard to read without standing up) and mechanic issues (I find that which cards come out will dictate who wins to a large extent, based on people's starting position and proximity to the cards). Many people do really like it better than Age of Steam though so I'd suggest trying someone else's copy to see what your opinion is.

So, my advice would be to pick up a copy of Steam, try it with the new (friendlier) rules and if you find you want an even meatier experience, try the original Age of Steam rules. With 6 AoS will be about 2.5-3 hrs, it will be a bit shorter with fewer. If you like the Age of Steam rules there are a myriad of additional maps you can buy to get variable rules, variable ideal number of players etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Unless you found the rules somewhere, since they are not published on-line, you would not be able to play Age of Steam with the Steam components.

That being said, with your description except for the "We enjoy close games. Games which are unforgiving or have runaway leader issues don't go down so well." apply to Age of Steam and Steam equally. With that caveat, I would have to say Steam is probably a better choice for you than Age of Steam, as Age of Steam is a bit more unforgiving. If forced to pick betwee the two I would personally pick Age of Steam every time, but I have no problem with unforgiving games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
There are many other train games out there - if I may, here's a recent thread similar to the question you bring up...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/412370
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
Unless you found the rules somewhere, since they are not published on-line, you would not be able to play Age of Steam with the Steam components.

That being said, with your description except for the "We enjoy close games. Games which are unforgiving or have runaway leader issues don't go down so well." apply to Age of Steam and Steam equally. With that caveat, I would have to say Steam is probably a better choice for you than Age of Steam, as Age of Steam is a bit more unforgiving. If forced to pick betwee the two I would personally pick Age of Steam every time, but I have no problem with unforgiving games.

While Bohrer may have a copyright on the rules text, there is no legal issue with describing to someone how to play a game... and I'm sure the OP would find many people willing to describe the rule differences in their own words
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.