Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Chunky Fighters» Forums » General

Subject: Buy dice or make the paper ones. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I love the idea of this game. What are people's thoughts on construction? Have you made the paper ones? How'd they come out and roll? What's the best dice to use if I go the purchase dice route. (Give links please!)

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the characters from 3/4" wood blocks I got from www.craftsetc.com, and I made all the hit dice from paper because I didn't have any d8s I wanted to cover. I think they both work well.

I really like the look and feel of wood block dice (it's what I use for almost all of my homemade dice), but I know some people think the squared corners make them not roll as well. I think it just comes down to personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sq498 wrote:
I made the characters from 3/4" wood blocks...

I'd love to see how your set came out. Would you mind posting a couple of photos?

thoia wrote:
What are people's thoughts on construction?

The first set I made I printed the tiny labels out and put them on 16mm dice (including the d8). You can see the photos for yourself. I like them and they roll very well since they're made from real dice. But it was more expensive overall. If you can find a bunch of d6's for cheap, it really isn't an issue.

I just finished making the character dice using 1-inch labels on wooden blocks and they look fantastic! I'll post images soon. The detail in the drawings really shows a lot better than the little dice. I chose to make just the characters on the 1-inch wooden blocks and keep the combat dice on real dice, since they get rolled a lot more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to post some pics this weekend.

If I were to make them again, I'd do them slightly differently. First of all, I printed them off slightly bigger than necessary because I use a 3/4" punch to make the squares that fit on the blocks. Since the graphics really fill up the squares, though, even a small amount that gets cut off makes a difference.

Second, I used generic, store-brand sticker paper but forgot to adjust the color levels before printing. The generic sticker paper tends to wash out the colors a bit, so next time, I'd either use my Avery label paper or adjust the colors first.

I don't know if I'll resticker my current blocks, but I'll make the changes when I construct the expansion characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Chilton
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered some 19mm blank D6 (99p for 10 - the game for £2 + labels). Was going to go for 25mm (1") but I like the completely cover idea - especially as the graphics seem very Mighty Muggs style
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, depending on how crafty you are on a computer, you could get the large 1" labels and resize them to whatever size dice you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.