1 Posts

Gemblo» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Fast and Furious with 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Crispin
United States
flag msg tools
I am attempting to work through a list of around 20-30 games this summer that are both quick, at less than 45 minutes, and excel with 3 players. I am going to put together a geek-list with the results at the end. First I am playing a learning game with the participants if they are not familiar with it and then a series of three games that I am timing and recording session information and opinions of the players to see if the game meets the criteria successfully.

Gemblo is an old favorite with my family but we have not had it out in a little while, just due to being busy playing new games.

The participants included me and my two eleven year old daughters.

Session 1:

Daughter one was busy trying to ditch the hardest to place large pieces and failed to watch the board carefully. She was boxed in around the mid-game and resigned while I am her sister finished the match.

Time - 25 minutes

D1: N/A
D2: 10 points (2 3 point blocks and 1 4 point block)
ME: 9 points (1 4 point and 1 5 point block)

Session 2:

In the second game nothing came together for me and daughter two. Neither of us was blocked but it just seemed like every space was wrong. Daughter one carried it away with ease.

Time - 27 minutes

D1: 8
D2: 19
ME: 16

Session 3:

The third game was fairly close up until the end. Daughter two was stuck with a couple of 5 point blocks and I was able to place several small point blocks at the end to get down to a single 4 point block, while daughter one was stuck with a 2 and 3 point block.

Time - 28 minutes

D1: 5
D2: 14
ME: 4

This is still a popular game with us, which I prefer to Blokus. I should put this back in the rotation. If you do not enjoy spatial abstracts, this and Blokus can feel painful but everyone in my family except for my wife really enjoy this.

I think this works very well with three players. It is at least as good as with four players and may be better if you like the slightly reduced chaos with fewer players.

This plays to a very consistent time because you are playing a fixed number of pieces. It is easily achievable in 30 minutes as long as no one does an excessive amount of looking for a position on their turn.

Setup is quick and cleanup is only slightly more time consuming while you pick up the gems.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.