1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Are You Calling My Babby a Dolt? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geeky McGeekface
United States
flag msg tools
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
So I just went to check on my Yahoo user groups and the banner ad at the top shows a head shot of a rather surprised looking baby, with the text reading " Hear what whooping cough sounds like". Okay, so no doubt part of a program to get babies vaccinated (which I approve of), by letting you listen to actual cases of whooping cough. But I couldn't figure out the name of the web site. Dolt for your baby? Are they saying the babies are stupid? Is it some sort of dig at the parents who are so careless about their kid's health? If they're trying to get folks to pay attention to their children's health problems, why are they insulting them or their babies? It made absolutely no sense.

It honestly took me a good 60 seconds of pondering this before I realized that it wasn't an "l" in the word, it was a capital "I" and the font used made it look identical to an "l". Do It For Your! Now I understand!

Okay, so I'm the dolt. But really, isn't this the sort of thing someone on the ad campaign should be just a bit sensitive to? No point in accidently insulting your potential clients, due to a misreading of the ad. Then again, maybe they like the fact that people looking at the banner (which are usually ignored) found something to catch their eye and spent time figuring it out. So maybe it's an effective ad after all, but I wonder.

So I guess we now know how babbies are formed. It has something to do with dolts. (Or maybe it just takes two Ad-dolts!)
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.