Originally at my blog.
I'd been returning again and again to the BGG page for Red November, because I like seeing big games in small boxes. But being unemployed, there's probably better things to be saving my money for than spending it on games that I'm too much of a loner to actually get people to play. Heck, I haven't even tried asking my flatmates - but it doesn't help much that they talk amongst themselves in their own language, which I don't understand.
But I caved and bought Red November today, and after "pimping" out the box with a foamcore insert (went waaaaaaaaaay out of my way to get supplies for *that*) and printing off some reference sheets from BGG, I stumbled upon the photo of the painted gnomes on Bruno Faidutti's website, and I wondered why I didn't think of painting them.
I haven't significantly flexed my miniatures painting muscles since middle school - ever since by doing so it brought about the end of my pursuit of what led me to painting miniatures in the first place. But now I was inspired.
The red and orange gnomes were bent over on their stands, so first I got a cup of boiling water from the kettle and dropped the gnomes in, and then transferred them to a cup of cold water with chopsticks after 10 seconds. This straightened the minis out like a charm. I put all of the gnomes through this for good measure.
When I went out to my balcony to prime the minis, I noted that the upstairs neighbours were causing quite a bit of a racket by (presumably) having a party. After all, it's Juhannus (Midsummer) tomorrow and that's an excuse for everybody to get sloshed for the entire weekend and accidentally fall out of canoes into lakes, but I'm not in Finland so clearly it's just because it's Friday.
Primed figures with bases painted. I didn't want to spend too much time with the spray paint - I've had, um, the landlord get suspicious before.
Regardless of the reason for the racket upstairs - which I cannot hear from my own room - my flatmates were out, so I worked at the kitchen table because there's better light there. It was actually quite nice to work there, not only because it's noticeably warmer and stuffier in my room for some reason, but also because it was just me, my all-purpose/usual playlist mix, my paint, and my minis. It was nice to be able to focus on a single task; I'm normally far too distracted to get anything done efficiently (including writing this post).
I quit my job a few weeks ago because it was seriously aggravating my carpal tunnel syndrome (I fear to the point of no return), and my hands were cramping up from painting, but I don't even notice the cramping because my mind is on the painting. I like that state of mind. It used to be easier for me to get into than it is now.
I dug out my $10 set of paints from Wal-Mart and my box of brushes - I used a 1 for the base, and a 3/0 and 10/0 for the details. My 3/0 was pretty curled (hey, these were cheap and they're old), so it actually did details better than the 10/0 this time.
The sculpt appears to show the gnomes wearing mismatched shoes, so there.
It was my first time painting figures assembly-line style, and I worked from the bottom-most layer up, from the bottom of the figure up. I took the minis off the egg carton to paint on, and stuck them back on after, trying to do the minis in the same order for each step, so that the previous bit had time to dry.
I didn't like that the painted gnomes on Faidutti's page had the coats in the player colour; I felt like it was a bit too much, so I did all of the coats in white and did the lapel in colour, with a little sailor stripe. The grey gnome is painted white because I don't have a light grey paint.
I used a brown instead of a black wash, which makes them look a little dirty and beat up. If I had craft (or special miniatures) metallic paint, I would have drybrushed the metallic highlights, but I only have the little Testors tubs for the metallics and they're too... runny, I guess. It's a whole different kind of paint, despite it still being acrylic.
It's 2AM and I'm finished painting, 5 hours after I started. The party upstairs is wrapping up. I think the gnomes turned out fine, though I was getting pretty tired and the drybrushing (and everything after that) is pretty sloppy. Not that I'd ever quite figured out how to do that properly, anyway.
Insert based on jlamb's insert
- Last edited Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:08 pm (Total Number of Edits: 3)
- Posted Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:24 pm