Thumb up
1 Posts

Railways of Europe» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A Girlfriend's Perspective on: Rails of Europe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
flag msg tools
Because he is my very best friend :)
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
Rails of Europe is an expansion to the game Railways of the World. When I first started playing Railroad Tycoon, I was not overly impressed with it. After a little, it started to grow on me. So when my boyfriend bought Rails of Europe, I wasn't too eager to play this game, as I was to play any other game.

d10-2Railroad Baron cards
d10-3Railroad Operations cards

Recommended Players

Unlike Railroad Tycoon, Rails of Europe is a 3-5 player game.

Setup of the game is quite similar to the original, except instead of getting 1 baron card, you will draw 2 baron cards, and choose which baron you would like to be. At the end of the game, you will need to complete the goal.

How to Play

There are 3 phases to every turn, which is fairly similar to the original game.

1. Auction for first player
2. Player Actions
3. Income and Dividends

Their are new goals you are able to achieve. These are called Major Lines. The Major lines are routes that you are able to complete in order to gaid extra income. The routes are

Paris to Constantinople, Madrid to Milan, Rome to Berlin, Moscow to Vienna, and Marseillas to Amersterdam. Once they are completed by one player, no one else is able to gain income for completing this route.

The game is over when there are a number of empty cities on the board.

3 Players - 11 empty city markers
4 Players - 13 empty city markers
5 Players - 15 empty city markers

How to Win

The player with the most points at the end of the game wins.

The Good vs The Bad

Cities are closer together forcing more competition
Optional routes can be built to gain more points

Survey Says

I must say that I enjoy Rails of Europe alot more than Railroad Tycoon. While it is almost the same game, being clsoer to one anothers forces more competition with others, and you are rarely in your own little corner doing whatever you want. I have always found the major lines (optional routes) are a big hit too. Some of the income you are able to gain from contecting the routes is too good to pass up. Especially when good cubes work out for you. Near the end of the game, you are even finding yourself going to the out of the way routes, just to gain that little bit of extra income.

If you have enjoyed Railroad Tycoon in the past, Rails of Europe is a great addition to your games.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.