Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francisco Gomez
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Las Palmas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, You can perfectly play Lost Cities with a french 52 card deck. The only difference is that you only can start four expeditions (clubs, spades, diamonds, hearts) instead of five. I think the game complexity doesn't loose very much by having only 4 expeditions instead of 5. In any case, if you can find ANY five suits deck in the market (as it was StarDeck) you can play a full Lost Cities game.

Setting the board would be simple: just put the four aces on the table, one side by side the other. That is your board

And the cards? Cards numbered 2 to 10 are the expedition cards. Jack, Queen and King are played like investment cards.

Simple. Spend an extra money in buying the original game, or play with your poker deck card (you get the rules in http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/186) is up to you. ,

Bye!

PD: On this way I must somehow agree with Branko (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/322911) in his opinion this game is a 'close cousin to traditional card games', a sort of solitaire game for two with a 'pasted-on' theme. But, in my case, I like the game. It's much more deep and strategical than its simplicity in rules and presentation makes you suppose at first glance. I highly recommend playing it. At least try the experience with your poker deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gomez
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Las Palmas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upss! I can see this is not an original idea.

I can see some people here have tried it before. Even have used a marked suit from another deck to play the 'fifth expedition'.

This hapens for not reading all the threads before posting mine. I ask for your indulgence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Although the theme is completely tacked on, this game loses most of its appeal as soon as you take away its pretty cards. I tried it with a standard deck of cards, and was terribly underwhelmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Loss of the fifth suit changes the game significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Rundkvist
Sweden
Saltsjöbaden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see three reasons that it may be better to play Lost Cities using two identical decks of standard playing cards, marking e.g. all hearts from one deck with a marker pen to make them the fifth colour.

1. You may find yourself in a place where there are card decks but no LC box.

2. The LC cards are unnecessarily large, and so not convenient for travel.

3. The LC cards are too large to be easily held by small kids, even though they grasp the game rules completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mb
mrund wrote:
I see three reasons that it may be better to play Lost Cities using two identical decks of standard playing cards, marking e.g. all hearts from one deck with a marker pen to make them the fifth colour.

This is not my original idea but someone here mentioned that Bicycle Jumbo Index cards have the same back as the regular playing cards.

http://www.bicyclecards.com/product-page-pages-30.php?pid=12

So, if you bought a deck of each, you could use the four suits from the regualar deck as well as one suit from the Jumbo Index to play Lost Cities. Would save you the trouble of marking up the fifth suit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
clearclaw wrote:
Loss of the fifth suit changes the game significantly.

It would be really nice if you could elaborate on exactly why that is so. i havent tried it yet with four suits although i am tempted to.

UPDATE: actually played it with four suits the other day with my daughter. I think we played with the run piles face down and only one discard pile that the other could draw if they wanted. I think we each made 3 run piles, it was still pretty neat game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a Tarot deck. They're very useful for doing this sort of thing.

I recommend the Trionfi decks on gamecrafter (either the blue-back deck or the red - I have both!)

You can use the numbered cards of no suit as the fifth expedition, with 10 to 13 as the handshakes, and jacks to kings as the handshakes for the other 4 expeditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.