Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Napoleon's Triumph» Forums » General

Subject: I've been unlucky I think, and have gotten a bad batch of blocks :-( rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I continue I’d just like to say I’m not the pickiest when it comes to the quality of blocks, I’ve never had any problems in the past. I’ve bought block games before (Hammer of the Scots and Crusader Rex from Columbia Games) and have always been pleased. I know you’ve got to expect a couple of dodgy ones sometimes even a few more.

I’ve just received my copy of Napoleon’s Triumph this morning, and when I was counting out the blocks I noticed quite a few faults. I thought ok I’ve read on BGG you get more than enough spares to cover for faults. Problem was, one after the other they just looked terrible. Especially the red blocks, there seemed to be some sort of gold spray paint covering some? Others were covered in very noticeable dark black streaks. Also which I was too bothered about because it wouldn’t affect play - 90% of the 2 strength Infantry (I think it was infantry I could be mistaken) had the misplaced print I’ve just read in another thread.

The blue blocks weren’t quite as bad but the print on a lot of them was terrible. I got quite a few of the runt blocks as well. You know the one’s I’ve had them in the Columbia games before but only one or two, the blocks that look like they didn’t get fed as a child and have wasted away and died in the sun.

I wouldn’t have cared but the poor quality blocks are that numerous they’re not only on the bench they starting the game in actual play and I can spot certain pieces a mile off. I think I’ve just been unlucky enough to get a poor batch. There are just too many poor blocks to avoid using them.

I’ve added some photos of a couple but my camera phone isn’t good quality and taking close-ups with it just don’t do it justice. The light seems too bright and is covering actually how bad the dark streaks are. The gold spray paint is noticeable in the red blocks, there were many more not just them two.

Any advice on where to take my disappointment, the publisher or the internet site I bought them from?

Other than that though, the board was beautiful and the generals, stickers and other counters were in perfect condition.

I can’t wait to get stuck into the rules tonight I’m just a bit peeved at the shoddy blocks I’ve got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would send an email to Simmons Games about this. I don't think the distributor from whom you bought the game can do much about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Email pics of the defects to the designer and he'll most likely replace them. I had a batch of off center cut blocks and he replaced the whole bag. He's pretty finicky with respect to quality and would not want you to be dissatisfied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an email on this before I saw the thread. The bad blocks will, of course, be replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bowen wrote:
I got an email on this before I saw the thread. The bad blocks will, of course, be replaced.

Bowen, my copy of Guns of Gettysburg is defective. Need to coordinate with you to get a replacement...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:

This is top quality service thank you!

From all the way across the pond too!

I guess I’ll have to cut you yanks a little slack, I’m normally hating you lot for one reason or another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, all is well that ends well! The replacement blocks came a few days ago and they're spot on. I'm very grateful to Mr Simmons, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I've sent am email to support@simmongames.com because my copy of the game had many poorly printed and off centered blocks.

Regards,
Niyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Niyes wrote:
Hi.

I've sent am email to support@simmongames.com because my copy of the game had many poorly printed and off centered blocks.

Regards,
Niyes.

Email received and reply sent. Let me know if you didn't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could understand people posting here if they had tried and failed to get a response. But I don't see the point of posting minor customer service requests here prior to contacting the publisher.

Not just for Simmons Games, but for all publishers. Isn't it a bit silly for people to make their requests for replacement of defective or missing parts public business? It obviously takes extra time for the publisher.

Bowen already has to deal with this through email, and send a package out. The time saved if he weren't posting redundantly here might be spent on GoG development. Wouldn't that be better for all concerned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.