Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I approach my 1000th thumb...I started to look at where they came from. Result: Users who submit Files get no respect... They are the "Rodney Dangerfield's" of BGG. How can you have 700+ downloads and 5 thumbs? Makes me wonder: What is the largest number of downloads coupled with the least number of thumbs? (i.e. Who is "The" Rodney Dangerfield of BGG? and shouldn't we give him/her a prize?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
LimboLance wrote:
How can you have 700+ downloads and 5 thumbs?

If you title a file "BEST Power Grid board variant EVAR" tons of people will download it.

If it is unplayable and a scan of pencil on looseleaf paper, you will not get many thumbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
1) The amount of downloads does not equal the amount of satisfied downloaders. An individual may download something and realize that it wasn't worth the download.

2) Shouldn't the amount of downloads be appreciation enough? I would feel good if what I made was downloaded and used by so many fellow BGGers

3) Thumbs are useless! I'm always stunned by people complaining that they don't get enough of them. I don't do shit for this community and I have 1500 thumbs and I haven't even been here long. You want thumbs? Do what that guy with the cartoon monkey avatar does, post useless fucking videos in random forum topics. He seems to generate a lot of thumbs. Perhaps you could talk to him and ask to borrow some, provided you have some thumb collateral

4) Yes, you are right though, up-loaders are not as appreciated as random forum posters or useless you tube video posters. It would be nice if people who downloaded at least posted saying why the upload is useful. But you can't force people to do that.

In conclusion . . . I'll thumb you from now on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually thinking that this might be because the download occurs after the opportunity to thumb. So that if you download - you have to go back and thumb the work. Maybe if there were a easier way to Thumb after the download?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
1) The amount of downloads does not equal the amount of satisfied downloaders. An individual may download something and realize that it wasn't worth the download.

2) Shouldn't the amount of downloads be appreciation enough? I would feel good if what I made was downloaded and used by so many fellow BGGers

3) Thumbs are useless! I'm always stunned by people complaining that they don't get enough of them. I don't do shit for this community and I have 1500 thumbs and I haven't even been here long. You want thumbs? Do what that guy with the cartoon monkey avatar does, post useless fucking videos in random forum topics. He seems to generate a lot of thumbs. Perhaps you could talk to him and ask to borrow some, provided you have some thumb collateral

4) Yes, you are right though, up-loaders are not as appreciated as random forum posters or useless you tube video posters. It would be nice if people who downloaded at least posted saying why the upload is useful. But you can't force people to do that.

In conclusion . . . I'll thumb you from now on?

I was actually looking at the work of others. Files and similar postings just don't get enough credit - unless someone goes out of their way to mention it to them or post a thread. There are a great many talented people (and I most certainly do not count myself amongst them) who go above and beyond the call (graphics, variants, programs, artwork, ADMINS, designers and so on) who work for nothing (and usually get it). Thumbing is a simple, direct way to say "Thank You". I didn't ask for thumbs for myself - just using an example without trying to draw another into the fray. In brief - I am saying: If you download anything from BGG that you like - post a Thumb - you are saying "Thank You".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
1) You want thumbs? Do what that guy with the cartoon monkey avatar does, post useless fucking videos in random forum topics. He seems to generate a lot of thumbs.

thumbsup for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.