Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own AoS and now I plan to pick up Steam. I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to keep AoS, or if I should just trade it in?

It might be nice to have both methods of play available as well as the two game boards. Has anyone mixed them up at all? How does each game play on the other game's base map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should just give AoS to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not as good as owning Age of Steam and Planet Steam, but I guess it's ok...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that's a rather personal question that depends on a lot of factors including, but not limited to:

How large you want your collection to be.
How often you play or plan to play Steam and/or AoS.
How much you care about expansion maps.
What direction you want your collection to go (i.e. all the games you like or one good game of each type or something else.)
etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not trade age of steam for a second copy of steam.

It seems pretty pointless to me (as a gamer not a collector) to keep games that are so similar. Steam was published because age of steam is in legal dispute do wallace made a game that was refined so he could move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all of the expansion maps to AoS, so the concept of owning both isn't absurd to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I beleive the AoS maps work for steam. In fact they are listed as unofficial expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malachi wrote:

This is the question that helped me with my decision. Although I would like to play AOS or Steam alot it just doesn't happen with my game group at the momment. I already own Railroad Tycoon and AOS. For the momment I think I'll pass on Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
I beleive the AoS maps work for steam. In fact they are listed as unofficial expansions.

some (only a few in fact) of them work, or are listed as expansions. for the the rest there are either no known rules, or it is known they won't work. you can't play an aos expansion without extra rules specifically for steam, as you do not know how many cubes to seed each city with.

and as an answer to OP - if i had to trim my collection to 3 games, aos would certainly be there. but if I had to trim it to 30, there's a very good chance steam would be there as well. I do not plan on getting rid of either one anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:

Work with is =/= to "at their best" or "were designed with this system in mind." It's always optimal to play a map with the system it was actually designed for. This, incidentally, is exactly why I own a copy of Steam. I'm not crazy about the changes to the system that it includes, but I want to have a copy of it so I can play the Steam native expansions that are released down the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'd say that's a rather personal question that depends on a lot of factors including, but not limited to:

How large you want your collection to be.
How much you care about expansion maps.
What direction you want your collection to go (i.e. all the games you like or one good game of each type or something else.)
etc.

I'm relatively new to board games and pretty careful about building a concise diverse collection. I'm a bit obsessive compulsive and honestly, the Steam or Age of Steam question has been eating me up inside. After much debate, I bought AoS a few months ago because it seemed to have better 2-player options with the split-board variant and the included 2-player map. This is very important as I play games most often with just my girlfriend. I love it, but I'm intrigued by the changes in Steam. Normally the idea of having two games so similar would drive me crazy, but I think I'll be able to convince myself it is ok based on the idea of having the two unified in a thorough singular representation of the train category of games...or something like that. Crazy, I know.

Quote:
and as an answer to OP - if i had to trim my collection to 3 games, aos would certainly be there. but if I had to trim it to 30, there's a very good chance steam would be there as well. I do not plan on getting rid of either one anytime soon.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably worthwhile. They are different games. Age of Steam is a heavier and more punishing game. It's rewarding, but there is a lot of effort involved. From all reports, Steam is a bit lighter and more forgiving.

Railroad Tycoon is also lighter, and there is certainly room in a collection for AoS and Railroad Tycoon, so why not AoS and Steam?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
If you're planning on only playing Steam, then here's what the old AoS has that might be useful (the one with wooden pieces) -

- the AoS map itself should be playable as a Steam scenario. however, it doesn't fit perfectly within the Steam scenario overlay (it's a little too wide for that), and imho there's no reason to think it's a "must have" map for Steam. As with any AoS map, the map graphics and supply #'s don't quite match with Steam, but that's not a big deal.

- the supply cubes seem identical

- for those player-piece colors that overlap, they seem to be the same wood stock and color. (the green is the only one that's noticeably different to me ... the new one is a lighter/limer shade.)

So you could save/use it for extra pieces, but Steam seems to have plenty. If you do sell/trade it, be aware that the wooden AoS sets used to sell at a premium.

I just saw your followup post. I played AoS 2-player on expansion maps and the main board, and now Steam 2-player (on half the US board). I'll play Steam rules from now on, I really like the improvements and they help a lot for 2player - Steam is highly recommended, imho. (The base action-tile rules and the easier goods supply really help with 2players.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keeping my copy of AoS, although I don't know how often I'll play it. I never played my copy of Funkenslag after buying Power Grid, nor Jenseits von Theben after buying Thebes, but you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Steam/AoS question is the same as the AoS/RRT question. The games are different enough that both could see regular play.

Keep both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
I'm keeping my copy of AoS, although I don't know how often I'll play it. I never played my copy of Funkenslag after buying Power Grid, nor Jenseits von Theben after buying Thebes, but you never know.

steam has much more of in-your-face-vicious-fighting for each and every cube on the board. aos has that, but only in some maps in quite the same extent; you can easily change the game's focus with a different expansion.

the steam production system being what it is I expect the hardcore fight for cubes will be a focus of every game, whatever expansion you choose. this is not a problem for me, but my wife has already (after 3 steam plays) started making sure we'll be getting back to aos from time to time when she's not quite up to so direct a fight. so I am quite confident both will see play at my place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bazik123 wrote:

the steam production system being what it is I expect the hardcore fight for cubes will be a focus of every game, whatever expansion you choose. this is not a problem for me, but my wife has already (after 3 steam plays) started making sure we'll be getting back to aos from time to time when she's not quite up to so direct a fight. so I am quite confident both will see play at my place.

Interesting. That comment as much as any is a point for why I probably will get Steam at some point, even with just last week buying Age of Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the AoS map itself should be playable as a Steam scenario. however, it doesn't fit perfectly within the Steam scenario overlay (it's a little too wide for that), and imho there's no reason to think it's a "must have" map for Steam. As with any AoS map, the map graphics and supply #'s don't quite match with Steam, but that's not a big deal.

I think there's a play aid in the files section that fixes this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bazik123 wrote:

I am also not quite sold on the change of focus from track placement. Steam allows you to simply build where you want and get the cubes later. Age of Steam requires you to build to specific cities in order to maintain a supply of goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xxeyes wrote:

I'm relatively new to board games and pretty careful about building a concise diverse collection. I'm a bit obsessive compulsive and honestly, the Steam or Age of Steam question has been eating me up inside. After much debate, I bought AoS a few months ago because it seemed to have better 2-player options with the split-board variant and the included 2-player map. This is very important as I play games most often with just my girlfriend. I love it, but I'm intrigued by the changes in Steam. Normally the idea of having two games so similar would drive me crazy, but I think I'll be able to convince myself it is ok based on the idea of having the two unified in a thorough singular representation of the train category of games...or something like that. Crazy, I know.

If what I'm hearing from people who have Steam now and have tried it with 2 players - it seems to work, especially using the Basic game's tile mechanic in lieu of the auction.

In my situation I was never happy with the 2-player maps available - they didn't seem representative enough of the game to bother teaching to my opponent. But with Steam I think there's a quality 2-player game right there without any need for variant rules.

Also, playing AoS with my current game group is not going to happen very often. The graphics turns off one player, and another player just doesn't seem that into it, but likes Railroad Tycoon. So I'm hoping the added prettyness of Steam brings those two back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
craniac wrote:
Quote:
the AoS map itself [..] doesn't fit within the Steam scenario overlay

I think there's a play aid in the files section that fixes this.

Oh!

That's great for using AoS boards for Steam - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own RRT, AOS and Steam a bunch of maps.

Generally when I buy a game I eventually trade it off, keeping only the best games. I would never get rid of any of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
Why not trade age of steam for a second copy of steam.

Trying hard to detect the sarcasm here. Is there a reason why one would want to own two copies of Steam. aside from having two copies to play at separate locations?

I'd be happy to own both...if I already owned AoS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up my copy of Steam today. It looks great, I'll try it out tonight. I've decided to keep AoS, at least for now. Thanks for all the input, I might have traded it in and regretted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.