Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Imperial rule... Imperial oppression... there is no light at the end of this long, dark tunnel, so we'll make our own through the flaming candles of burning buildings. Yet be cautious - Imperial Spies have crept into our ranks. We must weed them out, enact our plans, and let the Empire feel the burning fist of the Resistance."

Welcome to The Resistance forum game. This is the first BGG session. It should be a great game, and also a learning process. To discuss rules, implementation, etc., check the discussion link on the game page. Here are the rules, liberally borrowed from Rishi.

General

If you disagree with something the mod has done, or have a question about the game, feel free to PM (private message) me. Do not discuss this game outside this thread. Period. Discussion is always open in thread. Don't take the game personally, and don't flame other players. The anchor time for this game will be UTC+9 (see references). All three timed phases will officially begin and end at this time everyday. We will not play on weekends.

Los Angeles 7:00 PM
Washington D.C. 10:00 PM
London 3:00 AM
Berlin 4:00 AM
Seoul 11:00 AM

Game and Phase Rules

Players are either Resistance Operatives, unaware of each other’s alliances, or Imperial Spies, the informed minority. Each team’s goal is to destroy the other side’s bases before their own are eliminated. The game is played in phases in which players assign plans, vote on the allocation, and the entrusted few support either the Resistance or the Empire. Once all the bases of either group are destroyed, the other team has won.

Assign: Each day, the current leader (the choice is random on the first day and then passes to the next player on the list each subsequent day) has to assign plans. The number of plans to be distributed equals 2 or 3, depending on the number of players, plus an additional set of plans for each destroyed Imperial base.

The leader will make a proposal in thread. You may select yourself to receive a set of plans. Once a proposal is made, it cannot be retracted. The Leader has 24 hours to propose an assignment. After assignment is made, Vote phase begins at anchor time. If no assignment is made in 24 hours, the Leader Card passes to next player and phase will re-begin at anchor time. (if most players request a longer assign phase, this may be modified). Please format proposals in bold, as follows:

Proposal: John, Tim, and Sarah receive plans.

Vote: although players are free to announce their vote or intended vote publicly, each player sends me their vote within 24 hours of anchor time. When sending me your vote please keep it standardized for ease of use, including name, game name and vote number. For example, when voting YES on the second vote of day one (if the first didn’t pass), format the subject line as follows:

Resistance BGG Game 1: Vote 1.2: Snaak: YES

If a majority of players accept the proposal, it is accepted and plans are distributed. If a proposal is declined, the day will continue and leadership will pass to the next player. At anchor time I’ll announce the results, how each player voted, whether we repeat the phase or go to the next, and who the new leader is. Voting is required.

Decide: the players entrusted with plans will geekmail me their decision, to play a Resistance or Empire Plan card, formatted as below. Deciders have 24 hours from anchor time beginning. Please format as follows:

Resistance BGG Game 1: Decide 3: Snaak: RESISTANCE (or EMPIRE)

If the plans are sent to a rebel, they must choose to support the Resistance. If sent to a spy, the spy has the option to support or sabotage the Resistance. If there are zero acts of sabotage, then an Imperial base will be destroyed. If there is at least one act of sabotage, then a Rebel base will be destroyed.

Reveal: having received all decisions, I'll post the results by forum at anchor time. Players will not know who performed the sabotage, but will know how many acts of sabotage occurred. Once three bases on a single side are destroyed, the game ends and the side with at least one base still intact is declared the winner. I'll indicate which team lost a base, if the game has ended, and who is the leader as we enter the next phase, one explosion closer to the end.

So those are the rules. Sounds like a lot, but it should play pretty smoothly. Players, please confirm and say hello on the thread. Once everyone’s here, the game will begin at nearest anchor time with the first 24 hours for introductions and beginning discussion. Let’s play!

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am reserving this space for news and updates on the game. The player roster and order of leadership for the game is below. There are 7 players - 4 Resistance Operatives and 3 Imperial Spies. Beginning Plans are 2.

snaak
greek2me
useabuser
jtakagi
davidenkinderen
raid1280
woodjh

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Re: Resistance BGG Game 1 (two seats open)
Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Use Abuser
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Confirming I'm here.

Hello, everyone.

Give me some plans!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Raid1280 wrote:
We can't trust David....he's a fraggle!

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't trust fraggles. I eat them for dinner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brethren of the resistance - I offer you my solidarity and my leadership. At this time of uncertainty, we will overcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone! I'm stoked to try this out. I've never played before, though, so advice is always welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Planning Day Begins

"Tonight we gather to discuss tactics for the dark days ahead. We shall assign no plans until tomorrow. Let us discuss our strategies and our enemies, wary of their presence among us..."

Assignments have been sent. 24 hours for discussion, no official proposals. Snaak will be the first leader starting on Day One, which begins at next anchor time. Let's play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Long have I lived in this wonderful land. Long have I yearned to see the day when the Empire would leave us in peace. I have toiled since my youth to rid our homeland of the filthy stench of the Empire. I pledge to use any plans I receive to achieve the freedom we deserve. Long live the Resistance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You see the distant flames
they bellow in the night
you fight in all our names
for what we know is right
but when you all get shot
and cannot carry on
though you die la resistance lives on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize that I am a newcomer to this cell, but I can promise you that I have toiled for long years to rid our fair land of the iron grip of the thrice-damned Empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Are we alone?

I am Michelle Dubois of ze Gaullist French Resistance from Nouvion. I was sent 'ere to 'elp you with your missions to overzrow ze Empire.

Bonne chance et attention aux espions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Good suggestion, oh great leader!

I would support a plan to go to Raid. But not if the other plan goes to Snaak.

(seriously, I never played this game before, are there any quick do's and don't's?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Listen very carefully, for I shall say this only once...

I fully get your reasoning, comrades Raid and Snaak, but doesn't this hold for all of us? If the plan fails with ANY 2 people, not just you 2, we know it's because there is a spy in there.

If the leader holds the plans to himself, the most we can gain is info on 2 people. If the leader hands out the plans to other people, we can gain info on 3 people: the 2 that ought to accept the plan, and the Leader who proposed those 2 people. The last is soft info, but at least something.

I see that how if everyone suggests one person they want to give the plans to gives us more info later in the game (a bit like analysing vote tallies in WW). Why not expand it and have everyone name someone they'd rather not get it as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Oh no, that was bad wording on my part. My Eengliesh steel needs some practeece.

Point is: you will propose a plan, and then people will vote YES/NO. Your question was intended to get as many YESses as possible by asking who we would propose. Spies are just as likely to propose a Resistance member as one of their own, because they know they have to hide. However, to avoid NO's, you should also ask who we would refuse to have a plan. Spies are more limited in these options: if they chose a fellow Spy, that leaves only one other possibility for a Spy to get a plan. Saying who you don't want a plan to go to is much more like WW voting, where fellow evils risk losing an evil if they vote each other.

So I will vote a YES on any proposal that has Raid. I will vote NO on any proposal that has Snaak. That's my info. This can be used later in the game if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Raid1280 wrote:
Sent here? From the empire? You filthy dog! I believe that there is no more truthfulness to your speech than that satan himself!

Look closely boys....shes a fraggle....

Damn the fraggle empire...

I was sent 'ere BECAUSE your cell was infiltrated by ze evil espions. You have failed too often in recent years, and the Resistance Leaders decided to call for ze outside 'elp. My Fraggle costume is no more than a cover: it threw of ze Germans, and it will throw off ze Empire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Like I said: I've realised that isn't enough info. I've expanded it since. I won't support ANY plan with Snaak in it.

So the original statement still holds, but the overall statement is stronger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Snaak, could you also answer your own question? The last ones to answer the questions are evil! They have time to figure out who to vote YES and NO for.

Gogogogogo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Snaak wrote:
davidenkinderen wrote:
Like I said: I've realised that isn't enough info. I've expanded it since. I won't support ANY plan with Snaak in it.

So the original statement still holds, but the overall statement is stronger.

See, I agree with the expanded statement. But I want to know your reasoning on the original statement BEFORE you realised that wasn't giving enough info.

It had the fun of pushing your buttons, since I KNEW you were planning on giving the plans to yourself. kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Snaak wrote:
davidenkinderen wrote:
Snaak, could you also answer your own question? The last ones to answer the questions are evil! They have time to figure out who to vote YES and NO for.

Gogogogogo!

I would currently support a plan for Raid. His strategy post made a lot of sense to me.

I do not support a plan for David, since you are trying to weasel your way out of answering my question.

This is subject to change of course.

Retaliatory vote on D1 meta? Wolf tell! Wolf tell!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Raid1280 wrote:
Now you're logic makes some sense, but then there is a hole. Why would you argue myself getting plans over anyone else? It seems you want an ally in me, or you're attempting to make me come off as a fraggle!

As a member of ze Resistance, I have no info. I was asked to pick someone, so I did. Had I picked someone else, then that person could have accused me of trying to ally with them. So I shouldn't have picked anyone?

Raid, if you are a true member of ze Resistance, be happy: I propose the plan to go to you (and not to myself like the Duck did).

Vote tally

YES

Raid (2) - David, Snaak

NO
Snaak (1) - David
David (1) - Snaak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Snaak wrote:
Where is the meta here? I have given a perfectly sensible reason for not wanting you to have a plan. You did not do so. You only said you didn't want raid to have a plan if I got a plan as well and you have not explained that.

Should we be doing this in this game as well? We've been over this same scenario in MANY WW games. They all had the same outcome. You ask me something, I explain, then you reply that my explanation is insufficient. I keep explaining, you keep refusing to accept. Depending on the meekness of the village you get me lynched or not. Each time I turn up Good.

For the last time:

1. I knew you would want to keep the plans for yourself (meta), so I added a little 'not if'.
2. I realised that the NO bit was actually more important than the YES bit, so I expanded it.

What's the big deal in you not getting the plans anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this first round, we really have no info whatsoever other than the posts in the thread.

At this point, I'll support any two with the plans. The votes and the results will give us much more information.

But since the question was posed, I'll wholeheartedly support giving Greek2Me a set of the plans. (Mainly because I called him a wolf yesterday with infallible logic...and he wasn't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Snaak wrote:
davidenkinderen wrote:
I propose the plan to go to you

Shall we leave the proposing to me, (dis)loyal subject?

You asked each member to propose another member, oh forgetful one. No wonder ze Resistance Leaders were not 'appy with the way things were going around this cell. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [33] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.