Popular Tags: [View All]
Swain Voorman
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just made the plunge with BattleLore and really enjoy the system. I've been catching up on the saga that is the transfer from DoW to FF and am fairly excited about what the future holds for the game (they wouldn't buy the rights for the game just to let it die a slow death). That being said, what would be worth my while concerning current expansions? I understand most of the current packs aren't up to people's expectations but what would be essential to have before the next (3?) round of material from FF? Should I have the Call to Arms and Epic sets? Ignore everything and wait and see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just play what you have and then decide what you wish you had more of:

Want more variability and control of scenarios and set-up- grab Call to Arms.
Want to have more players and/or bigger, more epic battles - grab Epic.
Want more individual figures (dwarves, goblins, humans), pick your pack!

In my gaming, I've found Call to Arms, Epic, and Scottish Wars to be my most used expansions, but it really depends on what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, the must-haves are Hundred Years War & Call to Arms. I also recommend EPIC & the Monster figues.

I would say play the game for a while before you dcecide whether or not to buy the Goblin and Dwarf expansions. In hindsight I wouldn't have, but I got them all as a package, and having painted them all I'm gonna keep them now.

Great game though. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got into the game about three months ago and had the same question. I ended up buying all of the expansions and creatures because I feared that FFG would not reprint all of the expansions that DOW created.

My first expansion purchase was Call to Arms. It is a must have because it allows you to create balanced custom scenarios, which for me is critical to the life of the game.

Next I would get 100 Years War and Scottish Wars. Both of these expansions introduce new units that are unique and very fun to play. The scenarios that come with them are well done too.

Next I would try and get the Hill Giant off of Ebay (can find it for about $10-$13) and the Troll Expansion. These two creatures are my favorites and have wreaked a lot of havoc in our battles. The problem with the Earth Elemental is it costs lore to move around the board so it usually does not get picked for battles.

The Epic Expansion is nice to have for multi player games but not critical.

There are some nice units in the dwarven and goblin expansions but I would wait on those unless you have the money. So that is the order I would do it in.

Of course, it looks like the new Heroes Expansion will be a must have as it introduces a whole new concept to the game. I know I will be pre-ordering it right away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swain Voorman
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insights! Now that Heroes is seemingly on the horizon, does anyone know if there has been any talk of reprinting the previous expansions? Just not sure if I should scoop them up before they go out of print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't panic buy the goblins and dwarves. They are almost certain to be kept in print because of the high user base and the ongoing saleability of the base game.

Also there will always be a a good secondary market through BGG and Ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also there will always be a a good secondary market through BGG and Ebay.

Not for everything it seems. No one,anywhere is selling the Hundred Years War expansion, or at least the two individuals who are selling won't ship to the US. cry

My hubby and I are in the same boat as the original poster, just got into the game, just got caught up on the news of the whole transfer deal, now we have been trying to buy some of the expansions.

Oh well, I guess it's less figures to worry about painting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stonebraker

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking for the last couple of months, and Hundred Years War, Goblin Marauders, and Dwarven Battallion all seem to be unobtainable. At least they are listed on FFG web site, so they should be back in print some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Hundred Years War, Goblin Skirmishers/Marauders, and Dwarven Battalion at boardgames.ca (although at least one of those was listed as 2 left or so). Shipping was a bit high, though for those plus the Troll expansion it wasn't too bad.

EDIT: This was mid-June 2009.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call to Arms was the Tanga special yesteday, hope you picked up on that cos it was featured on their BGG ad.

I think all the expansions are still available in the UK if you can bear the shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
I would get Call to Arms first as well, it allows you to create quick balanced scenarios if you just want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.