Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. My Morning Jacket - Dear My Morning Jacket. Why are you so boring? Why do you keep popping up on shuffle? Why do I even still have you on my iPod? In the past, I've deleted stuff only to get into it later and have to rebuy. I don't think that's going to happen with My Morning Jacket, and yet, I can't bring myself to do remove them.

2. Comics.com - The only newspaper comic I keep up with is Pearls Before Swine, possibly the greatest strip since the Year the Comics Died*. Occasionally, the RSS feed I use to read it fails and I'm forced to check it on the comics.com website--possibly the worst website that has no excuse to suck. It's a gigantic javascript nightmare with one goal in mind: to prevent you from ever viewing anything you want to read. I've never even bothered to read some strips--I'll just wait for the next treasury due out sometime in the next 2-3 years.

*1995 saw the retirement of 3 great strips: The Far Side (Jan. 1), Outland (March 25), Calvin & Hobbes (December 31).

3. Bruno - This is a pre-emptive strike. Remember when Borat came out and people couldn't stop saying "very nice!"? Or when Austin Powers came out and people couldn't stop saying "yeah, baby!"? Or when South Park came out and people couldn't stop aping Cartman's "son of a bitch"? Or when Beavis and Butthead came out and people couldn't stop laughing or saying "fire" like the titular characters? (Huh-huh huh-huh... he said "tit".) It's going to happen with this upcoming Bruno movie, I just know it.

4. The Words I Can Never Spell Correctly the First Time Through - I struggled with "separate" and "ridiculous" for the longest time by spelling them "seperate" and "rediculous". I'm over that now. Recently, "cancelled" took over. I can never remember if it's one L or 2. Neither look right to me.

5. Volume Disparity - Songs these days are recorded at much higher volumes. There's really no purpose to this. The end result is any songs from the 60s and 70s on my iPod are much quieter than more modern ones, thus leading me to increase the volume to hear them only to have my eardrums blown out by the loud oughties tune that plays next.

6. I Do Not Want Your Toolbar - Anytime Java, AIM, or pretty much any program wants to update, they always insist I also install their toolbar in my browser. I like a clean interface, so no thanks. My parents bite everytime however. There's only about a 300x200 swatch of web page visable on their screen at any given time--the rest is swamped with all of these toolbars.

7. The - I recently downloaded a Starlight Mints album. On their other albums, they're listed as "The Starlight Mints". iTunes makes no difference between the entries with "the" in front, so all of their albums are in the correct alphabetical order regardless if it's by "The Starlight Mints" or "Starlight Mints". My iPod, strangely, freaks the hell out and will have one Starlight Mints entry in the Artists lists, and two entries for "The Starlight Mints".

8. Gimmicks for the Sake of Gimmicry - I'm currently playing the first DS Castlevania. It was a launch title for the system, so naturally they have all sorts of pointless stylus-based gimmicks that serve no purpose other than to say "this sytem uses a stylus, neat!" No. Not neat.

9. Athletes With Their Own Logos - Tiger Woods has his own little TW logo. Roger Federer has his own RF logo. They are no longer athletes. They're simply brands. I saw a guy on an elevator wearing a Tiger Woods logo hat and wanted to punch him. This stems from my Rules for Music T-Shirts. Simply put, it's okay to wear a T-Shirt of a band. Wearing a T-shirt of an individual artist is stupid.

10. Baby Pressure - You would think it's the parents who would instill all of the baby pressure on eggie and I. Or perhaps the in-laws. Nope, it would seem the biggest offenders are the In-laws-in-law, that is to say, my sister-in-law's in-laws.

Maybe I should back up here.

My in-laws live in Queens and the in-laws-in-law are out in Long Island. So that my sister-in-law and her husband makes it easy for everyone, they just invite both families to any family oriented holiday (Mother's/Father's Day, Thanksgiving, etc) festivities. This means we see the in-laws-in-law a lot.

Every freakin' time, the mother-in-law-in-law can only talk about how soon I can knock up eggie. From the passive-aggressive: "you don't get anything for Father's Day because you're no a Father... maybe next year" to the right-in-our-face "your nephew needs a playmate", it doesn't end.

I don't do well with encouragement. My mother once encouraged me to take my piano lessons to the next level. Instead, I quit. So yeah, Mrs. Mother-In-Law-In-Law, if you want to prevent us from breeding, please continue cheering us on. Or, in the words of eggie, "stay away from my womb!"

11. The Completely Obsolete "Stop" Button On a Browser Window - From Doubleclick to Facebook, pages now load so many third-party apps that all pressing Stop will do is fire up the next one on the queue.

12. I'm Not Sales - The other day a prospective client called me. There's no reason why they should. Those calls should be for the sales team. In fact, my number is nowhere on a public directory. I barely speak on the phone with my regular band of clients--it's all email. How do they keep finding me like this?

13. "Right?" - I was at a business convention yesterday. During one hour-long presentation, the woman giving the speech ended every sentence with "right?". As in "These are the numbers, right? And this bar indicates return of investment, right?". Well, she didn't end every sentence with "right"... just to mix things up, she would use "you know?" instead.

14. Beeping Neighbor - Our downstairs neighbor uses some contraption that makes a faint beeping noise for hours on end. We can hear it as soon as we get home and it continues on through the night. Sometimes, just turning the fan on is good enough to drown the sound out, but the other night, the beeping became replaced with a rythmic thumping noise (minds out of the gutter, all of you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

14. Beeping Neighbor - Our downstairs neighbor uses some contraption that makes a faint beeping noise for hours on end. We can hear it as soon as we get home and it continues on through the night. Sometimes, just turning the fan on is good enough to drown the sound out, but the other night, the beeping became replaced with a rythmic thumping noise (minds out of the gutter, all of you).

That was my deaf grandfather. The beeping noise was the low-battery alarm for his pacemaker, and the rhythmic thumping was his attempt at getting someone's attention after the battery died. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

4. The Words I Can Never Spell Correctly the First Time Through - I struggled with "separate" and "ridiculous" for the longest time by spelling them "seperate" and "rediculous". I'm over that now. Recently, "cancelled" took over. I can never remember if it's one L or 2. Neither look right to me.

British English: Cancelled.
American English: Canceled.

erak wrote:

10. Baby Pressure - You would think it's the parents who would instill all of the baby pressure on eggie and I. Or perhaps the in-laws. Nope, it would seem the biggest offenders are the In-laws-in-law, that is to say, my sister-in-law's in-laws.

My in-laws live in Queens and the in-laws-in-law are out in Long Island. So that my sister-in-law and her husband makes it easy for everyone, they just invite both families to any family oriented holiday (Mother's/Father's Day, Thanksgiving, etc) festivities. This means we see the in-laws-in-law a lot.

Every freakin' time, the mother-in-law-in-law can only talk about how soon I can knock up eggie. From the passive-aggressive: "you don't get anything for Father's Day because you're no a Father... maybe next year" to the right-in-our-face "your nephew needs a playmate", it doesn't end.

I don't do well with encouragement. My mother once encouraged me to take my piano lessons to the next level. Instead, I quit. So yeah, Mrs. Mother-In-Law-In-Law, if you want to prevent us from breeding, please continue cheering us on. Or, in the words of eggie, "stay away from my womb!"

Reminds me of a comment I once made to a friend:

"If, at weddings, your aunt keeps asking you when it's your turn, next time you're at a funeral, ask her the same question."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Longer is not necessarily better this week........sorry!

erak wrote:
Don't sweat it, both are correct/acceptable.

erak wrote:
6. I Do Not Want Your Toolbar - Anytime Java, AIM, or pretty much any program wants to update, they always insist I also install their toolbar in my browser. I like a clean interface, so no thanks. My parents bite everytime however. There's only about a 300x200 swatch of web page visable on their screen at any given time--the rest is swamped with all of these toolbars.
+1

erak wrote:

It never stops: when you're single it's: "Do you have/when are you going to have a gf/bf?" WHen you get a gf/bf it becomes: "When are you going to get married?" When you're married: "When are you going to have a baby?" After 1st baby: "When are you going to have a 2nd baby? You don't want them to be an only child!" I feel for you and I've been there. I got married past 25 and only have 1 child. So, I have received ALL the abuse!!! The only thing I will say to Eggie is that if you are considering having children to do so while you are still young, healthy, and energetic.

erak wrote:
13. "Right?" - I was at a business convention yesterday. During one hour-long presentation, the woman giving the speech ended every sentence with "right?". As in "These are the numbers, right? And this bar indicates return of investment, right?". Well, she didn't end every sentence with "right"... just to mix things up, she would use "you know?" instead.
This is one of my pet peeves, and about presentations in general. More and more people have zero--or worse--atrocious public speaking skills/abilities. Many ramble and do not clearly define/highlight the point(s) they are trying to make. It is amazing. Most of these people would not get a passing grade for a undergraduate oral report/presentation!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
I had a high school geography teacher (who doubled as football coach) that did the exact same thing, only it was "OK" and "aiight?" As in, "So you had the Babylonians over here... OK? And these other people over here... OK? And these other guys over here who came and attacked all of them... aiight?"

A friend and I would sometimes keep tally of how many times he said OK and alright during the class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
erak wrote:
7. The - I recently downloaded a Starlight Mints album. On their other albums, they're listed as "The Starlight Mints". iTunes makes no difference between the entries with "the" in front, so all of their albums are in the correct alphabetical order regardless if it's by "The Starlight Mints" or "Starlight Mints". My iPod, strangely, freaks the hell out and will have one Starlight Mints entry in the Artists lists, and two entries for "The Starlight Mints".

Lucky you. For some reason, my iPod can't figure out what to do with "The Black Crowes," so it just decided not to index it at all. In order to listen to The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, I have to find it by album (under "The," of course, which drives my librarian mind crazy).

Quote:
11. The Completely Obsolete "Stop" Button On a Browser Window - From Doubleclick to Facebook, pages now load so many third-party apps that all pressing Stop will do is fire up the next one on the queue.

There have actually been times that I've wanted to stop a page from loading in IE, only to be stymied by the TOTAL LACK OF A STOP BUTTON. Who the hell programs something like that? I don't know the F-button to press to stop it, and I'm afraid to just go across the row, lest I do something to the browser to make it stop working all together.

Quote:

I once attended a library convention, and the woman who was hosting the whole thing (three days' worth, mind you), said "Um" so many times that I decided to start keeping track of how many (this was actually a step up from the level of boring that the rest of the convention was). I lost track -- no kidding -- at about 1000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
What? Now remarks from eggie yet? Thats the whole reason I clicked on this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
my iPod can't figure out what to do with "The Black Crowes," so it just decided not to index it at all.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
molnar wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
my iPod can't figure out what to do with "The Black Crowes," so it just decided not to index it at all.

thumbsup

You haven't listened to The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, I take it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
1. My Morning Jacket - Dear My Morning Jacket. Why are you so boring? Why do you keep popping up on shuffle? Why do I even still have you on my iPod? In the past, I've deleted stuff only to get into it later and have to rebuy. I don't think that's going to happen with My Morning Jacket, and yet, I can't bring myself to do remove them.

This is odd, as the song that comes up on shuffle more than any of the other ~1000 songs on my iPod is "Fake plastic Trees"...but I love it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
I do the same thing. I finally just added them to auto-correct in Word.
erak wrote:
5. Volume Disparity - Songs these days are recorded at much higher volumes. There's really no purpose to this. The end result is any songs from the 60s and 70s on my iPod are much quieter than more modern ones, thus leading me to increase the volume to hear them only to have my eardrums blown out by the loud oughties tune that plays next.
I HATE this. I hate that I need a 3rd part utility to equalize the volume of my music to keep my from destroying my hearing.
erak wrote:
Yahoo, MSN and Google toolbars can all rot. I hate those things and how they 'improve' your browsing experience. If you want to bundle them, fine, just make it an option to add not remove them from the install!!!
erak wrote:

8. Gimmicks for the Sake of Gimmicry - I'm currently playing the first DS Castlevania. It was a launch title for the system, so naturally they have all sorts of pointless stylus-based gimmicks that serve no purpose other than to say "this sytem uses a stylus, neat!" No. Not neat.
The first-gen Wii games were like this too, tons of pointless Wii-mote waggling 'Oooh lookit the motion control' nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
erak wrote:
I had a high school geography teacher (who doubled as football coach) that did the exact same thing, only it was "OK" and "aiight?" As in, "So you had the Babylonians over here... OK? And these other people over here... OK? And these other guys over here who came and attacked all of them... aiight?"

A friend and I would sometimes keep tally of how many times he said OK and alright during the class.

Had a math professor in college who said "mmkay" like Mr. Mackey in South Park. I once counted how many times he said it in a single 75-minute class. 253. That's roughly 2.11 times a minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
10. Baby Pressure From the passive-aggressive: "you don't get anything for Father's Day because you're no a Father... maybe next year" to the right-in-our-face "your nephew needs a playmate", it doesn't end.

I would tell them, "Go ahead and ask eggie, "Who's your daddy?" Then, give me my damn present."

I think that would pretty much end this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
3. Bruno - This is a pre-emptive strike. Remember when Borat came out and people couldn't stop saying "very nice!"? Or when Austin Powers came out and people couldn't stop saying "yeah, baby!"? Or when South Park came out and people couldn't stop aping Cartman's "son of a bitch"? Or when Beavis and Butthead came out and people couldn't stop laughing or saying "fire" like the titular characters? (Huh-huh huh-huh... he said "tit".) It's going to happen with this upcoming Bruno movie, I just know it.

ICH DON'T ZINK ZO!

And...this should have been a geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I once attended a library convention, and the woman who was hosting the whole thing (three days' worth, mind you), said "Um" so many times that I decided to start keeping track of how many (this was actually a step up from the level of boring that the rest of the convention was). I lost track -- no kidding -- at about 1000.

We had a professor in 3rd year discrete math who would end almost every statement with "'kay?"

He broke 200 during one hour long lecture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

You should know that launch titles are full of this stuff. Not stellar graphics that later games may have, more refined controls and what not. I give slack to these games because they are the first games to explore the capabilities of the console/handheld. Hell, everyone knew that when the Wii came out, the first games would not be the greatest as they were still trying to adjust to motion sensoring. Red Steel was such a control problem! I was also so disappointed in Mario Party 8 for the Wii. I thought it would have explored the posibilites with the wii mote. Nope. Just have the same controls as before, except some parts were dumbed down. Shame on you Mario Party 8 for not pushing boundries and actually using the Wii! you should have been on the GameCube instead! At least Wario Ware was pushing boundries AND was a good game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Dear My Morning Jacket. Why are you so boring? Why do you keep popping up on shuffle? Why do I even still have you on my iPod?

Hee hee hee hee hee.
Dear Erik, We are legion. Love, MMJ.

erak wrote:

erak wrote:

TOTALLY.

erak wrote:

I HATE how itunes puts files into 80 different folders. I don't send you mp3s that often anymore because I have to go into the Music folder, then the itunes folder, then artist, then album, and THEN I can find the stupid file. Stupid naming conventions and its stupid inefficient inefficiency.

erak wrote:

9. Athletes With Their Own Logos - Tiger Woods has his own little TW logo. Roger Federer has his own RF logo. They are no longer athletes. They're simply brands. I saw a guy on an elevator wearing a Tiger Woods logo hat and wanted to punch him. This stems from my Rules for Music T-Shirts. Simply put, it's okay to wear a T-Shirt of a band. Wearing a T-shirt of an individual artist is stupid.

I disagree. Merchandising is a big part of making money. Yes, this is redundant/stupid for people already making millions of dollars, but for people who are not so lucky, merchandise is how they can make a living.

erak wrote:

No comment.

erak wrote:

I KNOW. I'm SORRY.

erak wrote:

12. I'm Not Sales - The other day a prospective client called me. There's no reason why they should. Those calls should be for the sales team. In fact, my number is nowhere on a public directory. I barely speak on the phone with my regular band of clients--it's all email. How do they keep finding me like this?

Someone from Vonage keeps calling me at work, insisting that I had called them to set up a contract. He practically yelled at me, insisting I had called them when I know for a fact that I have never even crank called them. Not even a little.

erak wrote:

Yeah, no.

erak wrote:

14. Beeping Neighbor - Our downstairs neighbor uses some contraption that makes a faint beeping noise for hours on end. We can hear it as soon as we get home and it continues on through the night. Sometimes, just turning the fan on is good enough to drown the sound out, but the other night, the beeping became replaced with a rhythmic thumping noise (minds out of the gutter, all of you).

The beeping followed me to work. Someone held a fire door open to do some repair work so there was beeping ALL morning. Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
What? Now remarks from eggie yet? Thats the whole reason I clicked on this thread.

Aw, thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
2. Comics.com - The only newspaper comic I keep up with is Pearls Before Swine, possibly the greatest strip since the Year the Comics Died*.

Far Side and C&H (and Bloom County before them) were indeed incredible, but I still thoroughly enjoy Dilbert. That's the only comic I read these days, though.

Quote:
3. Bruno - It's going to happen with this upcoming Bruno movie, I just know it.

What is this Bruno of which you speak? I'd like to know so I have a clue about the source of the thing that will no doubt annoy me.

Quote:
6. I Do Not Want Your Toolbar - Anytime Java, AIM, or pretty much any program wants to update, they always insist I also install their toolbar in my browser. I like a clean interface, so no thanks.

Absolutely. I feel just as strongly about toolbars in my other applications. I just shake my head when I see co-workers with a MS Office application with four or five rows of toolbars (which, of course, they never use). Give me screen real estate and plenty of it.

Quote:
9. Athletes With Their Own Logos - Tiger Woods has his own little TW logo. Roger Federer has his own RF logo. They are no longer athletes. They're simply brands.

I just saw that Ty Lawson, point guard for UNC's championship basketball team, now has his own logo. This, for a man who has yet to be drafted and who presumably hasn't earned a penny playing his sport.

But really, this is nothing new. In the 60s and 70s, Jack Nicklaus made millions from his Golden Bear trademark and I can only imagine how much Pele garnered from his endorsements. If Babe Ruth had been born 80 years later, we'd be inundated with Sultan of Swat brands everywhere. Although most of them would probably be for cheap booze and cigars.

Quote:
13. "Right?" - I was at a business convention yesterday. During one hour-long presentation, the woman giving the speech ended every sentence with "right?".

What is it with sports announcers ending their sentences with questions all of a sudden? On MNF, Tony Kornheiser ended well over half of his statements with "right, Jaws?" (referring to co-color commentator Ron Jaworski). It's like they've been told to interrelate in the booth and that's the only way they can figure out how to do it. I don't know what the reason is, but it's incredibly annoying. Ron Darling, who does color for the Mets games on SNY, has the same habit (although not as bad as Kornheiser). I forgive him for it because in all other ways, he's brilliant, but I'd still like for him to limit it as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

2. Comics.com - The only newspaper comic I keep up with is Pearls Before Swine, possibly the greatest strip since the Year the Comics Died*. Occasionally, the RSS feed I use to read it fails and I'm forced to check it on the comics.com website--possibly the worst website that has no excuse to suck. It's a gigantic javascript nightmare with one goal in mind: to prevent you from ever viewing anything you want to read. I've never even bothered to read some strips--I'll just wait for the next treasury due out sometime in the next 2-3 years.

*1995 saw the retirement of 3 great strips: The Far Side (Jan. 1), Outland (March 25), Calvin & Hobbes (December 31).

Pearls Before Swine is good, but in my opinion, the best comic strip currently is 9 Chickweed Lane by Brooke McEldowney -- also available from Comics.com. It's a serial (each strip continues the story from the previous day), and you'd have to go back several months to follow the story arc, but it is well worth reading. I susbscribe to their daily e-mail feature, and it's the first thing I look at when I get to work each day.

Although the strip has been running for at least eight years, the artist has not authorized any collection of the main strip. The only thing currently available is a collection of the "Hallmarks of Felinity" strips which he uses as filler between story arcs. I'd much rather have the main story in book form. Since McEldowney won't do it, I have to save each day's strip myself.

(He also draws Pibgorn, which I've been following for 2-3 years now and still haven't completely figured out. It's occasionally a bit "racy" for Comics.com, so you have to subscribe from MyComicsPage.com (or is it DailyInk.com?).)

Quote:

A possible way to shut them down is, whenever they start in on this, ask them "Why do you think our reproductive plans are any concern of yours?" Every time they make a statement, just keep repeating this -- or variations -- until they realize that you are always going to give the same reply, a hopefully they will stop asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
About stop buttons and toolbars: I use the customizable toolbar addon for firefox and it is a godsend. I have 2 quicklink bookmark folders ("daily read" [which every day I right click and "open all in tabs"] and "resources" for things I want quick access to) my url bar and my "read it later" tool on one command bar line. The menu bar is hidden (press alt to reveal it) but all it has are my forward/back button (generally just use my mouse for that, but that won't work for PDFs) and the refresh button. If I want to access my menu bar I just right click in any blank spot, except I set it to only give me "tools" since everything else is redundant.

I 100% recommend this addon, it is just the bees knees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Quote:

What is this Bruno of which you speak? I'd like to know so I have a clue about the source of the thing that will no doubt annoy me.

The short answer: It's a movie coming out called Bruno.

The longer but still pretty short answer: Bruno is Sasha Baron Cohen's follow-up to Borat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
Quote:

The short answer: It's a movie coming out called Bruno.

The longer but still pretty short answer: Bruno is Sasha Baron Cohen's follow-up to Borat.

Thank you. I was able to avoid Borat, I'm sure I'll be able to avoid Bruno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:

A possible way to shut them down is, whenever they start in on this, ask them "Why do you think our reproductive plans are any concern of yours?" Every time they make a statement, just keep repeating this -- or variations -- until they realize that you are always going to give the same reply, a hopefully they will stop asking.

You clearly don't understand Asian people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

Why not just have them emailed to you? I have my Pearls Before Swine emailed to me every morning, the day the new comic comes out . Comics.com has a sign up and then you can select the comics you want emailed, then you just read the email and the strip is right there, no dealing with the website etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.