Ger Lam
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,
the reason i am asking this, here, is because last night, rumor 3, prince of thieves, came up.
Knowing i would need threat to keep him alive, i played evil genius and the "hurry" treachery card(the one where you discard 2 cards for threat at beginning of every turn) as my might cards...additionally, i was the sorcerer king for another bonus threat/round. I had also saved up some threat from before.

Now, with 5 cards per round to discard and 5 threat gained naturally, my average "income" was more than 15 threat per round. So i could spawn the leader, attack, and inmediately remove him again.
Now, the heroes tried using guard orders, but unless all 4 are proficient with ranged weapons and have one available, there's always safe spots to spawn and disappear. eventually, they gave up on it since i could have cycled my deck twice for conquest and ejecting them(and occasionally had enough to pay a card extra(crushing block came to mind)...

so with some preparation, it was basically impossible for them to do this rumor.

A little while ago, we had Rumor 1: The Twins, where i saved up a "lights out"-card allowing spawning beyond 5 fields, a dead legion card(but really, substitute anything fast or with range...razorwings if beasts are upgraded etc...), 2 double-movement cards, 2 aim-cards and a "double move, double attack"-treachery-card. I claim that with a "allow spawning beyond 5 fields", a spawn card, and the 2 movement cards, it should be impossible for most groups to prevent one of the boys being killed before they get out...and the master sorcerers can be used incredibly offensive here, since the heroes CAN'T kill them before they are ready(everything else killed and in position to prevent spawning....which also includes being on opposite areas on the map dealing damage to each other when moving).
I really can't see the heroes win that one if the OL prepares even in the slightest...(or has INCREDIBLY bad luck with the dice)...

I don't remember if Rumor 8: A mothers Lament requires the cub to exit through the portal, if so, i could imagine it to have similar problems...

on the other hand, i was UNDERwhelmed by "The Dark Shard"...easy to blast the starting area loadout, a trapped leader, and possible to basically shut down or severely limit spawning...

what is your experience with rumors? which one's are worth pursuing?
That is, to the Overlords the reverse Question: What's your strategy for the Rumors, if you have one?

Most of my partys decide that if they go through a whole dungeon(after blitzing early) they want to get a reward for that, and do rumors...of course, that allows the OL to prepare for that final level...so how do you do that? Any other "unbeatable" strategies(for both Overlord and Hero side)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Long
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
By the "hurry" treachery card, are you in fact referring to Urgency? If so, I believe Urgency does not in fact give you Threat for discarding the cards - it simply burns through the deck much, much faster and lets you cycle more often (and get more CT for doing so). If you were playing that it gives you threat for the cards, that would explain why you found the rumor to be unbeatable. Without misinterpreting that card in that manner, it's impossible to get up to 15 Threat per turn as income.

Also, if the Heroes have Wind Pact (and it's my belief that they should), it gets really hard to save up a 'perfect' hand of cards for a particular situation. That should save the Heroes from some of these 'unbeatable' situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Immortal wrote:
By the "hurry" treachery card, are you in fact referring to Urgency? If so, I believe Urgency does not in fact give you Threat for discarding the cards - it simply burns through the deck much, much faster and lets you cycle more often (and get more CT for doing so). If you were playing that it gives you threat for the cards, that would explain why you found the rumor to be unbeatable. Without misinterpreting that card in that manner, it's impossible to get up to 15 Threat per turn as income.

Also, if the Heroes have Wind Pact (and it's my belief that they should), it gets really hard to save up a 'perfect' hand of cards for a particular situation. That should save the Heroes from some of these 'unbeatable' situations.

+1 to both points.

I got smashed by the heroes doing the Twins rumour. Partly because it is during Gold level, but also because during the entire rumour level I did not get a single spawn spot (well, not quite true, I played an ice trap to slow them down at the start, and in the last turn was able to spawn monsters at the starting area behind the ice). The Areas are so small that there is little available room for spawns with fast moving heroes, and worse, the get to frequently Wind Pact out anything useful. Diamond Razorwings anyone? Gone. Ambush? Gone. Dark Charm (my best bet for killing a twin apart from the Razorwings)? Gone.
Suck.

However in bronze and silver we basically have found Rumours a pointless waste of time. You just can't afford to go all the way through dungeons against a competent OL. Not if you want to do Legendary dungeons, have some time and opportunity to get some decent treasures (ie, more weeks rather than less), and have time to do secret master trainings (let alone other training!). Inevitably you get 1 or 2 really nasty levels come up, the OL gets out Evil Genius on level one, or something similar. The problem with rumours is that you have to commit to them.

One full 4-level dungeon and 1 full 3-level dungeon will usually end up being something like 100-120 CT combined, possibly more with a rumour. It is just too high a proportion of the available level time, especially when you add in 30-50 CT in early bronze of blitzing and keeping the OL below 25CT.

By late silver or gold though, the heroes can generally go fast enough that rumours are pretty easy. However by then, you are looking at how many gold items you could get access to by slowing the campaign down, rather than speeding it up, so it is still not an easy decision to go for rumours.

Note: my perceptions may be coloured by an approximately 33% strike rate with getting treasures from chests and a more than double the odds strike rate of getting market shortages, combined with a more than triple the odds of getting a 'bad' treasure instead of a 'good' treasure (eg Eyes of Thara compared to a Armour, or fancy dagger compared to 2H weapon).
Consequently just getting 'access' to more treasure draws (be they market or dungeon) is a significant portion of my planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Massey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another data point on Rumor 8: A Mother's Lament.

This is the one where the heroes have to save the griffon cub by having it exit through the portal. We played this rumor in our last session and they never had a chance. I simply kept a dark brotherhood spawn card back with a charge card and waited for them to release the cub. As soon as they did, I sent a diamond-level master dark priest around the corner and killed it in one shot. 8 wounds and 4 armor are not enough to survive at gold level. Perhaps during copper, they would have had a chance.

My heroes aren't usually very careful about covering lines of sight, so it certainly would have helped if they had shut down my ability to spawn before releasing the cub. Also, they could have formed a wall to protect the cub, but they all just ran for it, assuming I wouldn't be able to do anything in the two turns it would take them to get the cub out. I wouldn't say it was impossible for them to win, but they really didn't have much of a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.