Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, apologies if this is already completely standard knowledge, I couldn't find a definite reference to it, just a couple of 'probably' or 'maybe' threads. It was certainly news to me...

On the front cover of the Intrigue rulebook it says -

'Coming soon for fans of Dominion: Seaside is an expansion and can be played with either Intrigue or the basic game (or both)! You will get 26 new Kingdom cards, plus some additional components that work with the new option offered by Seaside. Seaside will not be a complete game and will not have the complete set of Treasure cards as the basic game and Intrigue do. Thus, you will need to have Intrigue of the basic game to play Seaside!'

So there you go - 26 Kingdom cards and other 'components' (any guesses?), but not the complete set of cards. Sounds good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Seaside definintely not a stand-alone game
Terrific!

Down the line RGG could also choose to publish just the "spare VP+Treasure package" to exchange the worn off cards which you would buy when you needed to, not be forced upon.

That said, I hope Seaside will not come *too* soon. I want to have some time to play the hell out of Intrigue first..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Seaside definintely not a stand-alone game
I believe the goal is to have Seaside ready for release at Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
I believe the goal is to have Seaside ready for release at Essen.

I believe that we do not need 3 sets of treasure/vp cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:
First off, apologies if this is already completely standard knowledge, I couldn't find a definite reference to it, just a couple of 'probably' or 'maybe' threads. It was certainly news to me...

'Coming soon for fans of Dominion: Seaside is an expansion and can be played with either Intrigue or the basic game (or both)! You will get 26 new Kingdom cards, plus some additional components that work with the new option offered by Seaside. Seaside will not be a complete game and will not have the complete set of Treasure cards as the basic game and Intrigue do. Thus, you will need to have Intrigue or the basic game to play Seaside!'

So there you go - 26 Kingdom cards and other 'components' (any guesses?), but not the complete set of cards. Sounds good to me.

That's a complete 180 from previous statements that inclusion of the coins/VP cards in every set was the intention and did not change production costs in a significant manner.

What's next - Dominion 'Treasure Packs' with just the basic Coin/VP/Curse cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Sagel
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
26 new Kingdom cards... this might end up being a very big game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:
26 Kingdom cards and other 'components' (any guesses?),
Not a specific guess, but I'll bet that the Curses would be considered a component.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Uhtoff wrote:
26 Kingdom cards and other 'components' (any guesses?),
Not a specific guess, but I'll bet that the Curses would be considered a component.

Jim

I'm going out on a limb here and guess that it's not cards they are referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I hope I'm wrong, I'm guessing some form of tokens or markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

I'm going out on a limb here and guess that it's not cards they are referring to.

You changed your avatar Dave! Didn't realize that was you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Colburn
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing we might see the infamous Confusion card.

As for the rest, I'm guessing that locusshifter is correct: we're going to see something like tokens or the mechanics of the game are going to be in some way complicated. The obvious theme for the variation (given the name) is ships. What do ships do? Is there a trade aspect? Are ships tokens that sit in front of you and are worth points? Do cards interact with the number of ships you have? OK, I think my speculation has reached critical mass, so I'll shut up now. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Uhtoff wrote:

'Coming soon for fans of Dominion: Seaside is an expansion and can be played with either Intrigue or the basic game (or both)! You will get 26 new Kingdom cards, plus some additional components that work with the new option offered by Seaside. Seaside will not be a complete game and will not have the complete set of Treasure cards as the basic game and Intrigue do. Thus, you will need to have Intrigue or the basic game to play Seaside!'

That's a complete 180 from previous statements that inclusion of the coins/VP cards in every set was the intention and did not change production costs in a significant manner.

What's next - Dominion 'Treasure Packs' with just the basic Coin/VP/Curse cards?

I disagree. I remember reading previously that the intention was to release Intrigue as a full game so that together with Dominion, you could play 2-8 players. In order to do that, you need another set of coins/victory cards. Once that was done, all future expansions would be just expansions and would NOT include any extra victory/coins cards b/c we have all we need with the first two releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
January: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/374608 - indication that all expansionsn will be complete games.

Starting around February, they started dropping hints that Seaside and beyond might be shipped without the 7 'base' cards.

We're both right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Quote:
some additional components that work with the new option offered by Seaside.

The. New. Option.

Huh?

Here is what it means, IMO. With some cards in Seaside, they are going to have something like "Gain a boat" (not saying it's GOING to be a boat, but it likely will be, seeing it's Seaside) or boats available for purchase. Then boats will enable you to do extra stuff.

Maybe...

A NEW MECHANIC ENTIRELY!!!

Like, say, a battle involved when you bring Seaside to the table. Seaside may make a new condition for victory, or perhaps a way to plunder your opponents when they have no boats remaining, or something else...

but this is definitely exciting. Count me in for Seaside!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it indeed is a new mechanic involving battles and ships, how are we ever going to deal with a Moat being able to stop an attack ship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it's the "roll and move" mechanic I already mentioned in my review..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.