Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little skeptical about the making a decktet given how few people have reviewed its games and because I don't recognize any of the games playable by it.

Are there any famous games that can be played with the Decktet? How many Decktets do I need to play games with four players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
I'm a little skeptical about the making a decktet given how few people have reviewed its games and because I don't recognize any of the games playable by it.

Are there any famous games that can be played with the Decktet? How many Decktets do I need to play games with four players?

All the games are "new" games, created just for the Decktet. That's why you don't recognize them.

The Decktet is a new "system", a new deck. So, no, there are no "famous" games for the Dectet, though there are some good games for it.

All you need is one decktet - unless you want more for your friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
In short, yes it is. It is an attractive deck and I hope PD can get someone to produce them professionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the games playable with a Decktet better than the ones playable with a regular deck of cards? I just don't understand the multiple suit system when there are actually fewer cards per deck. I thought it would be a six suit deck, but it appears to be just 4 suits of 10 with different combinations of two suits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Are the games playable with a Decktet better than the ones playable with a regular deck of cards? I just don't understand the multiple suit system when there are actually fewer cards per deck. I thought it would be a six suit deck, but it appears to be just 4 suits of 10 with different combinations of two suits.

It's basically a "universal" card deck - meaning you can use it to play many different games. Instead of buying a card game that you can use to play 1 game with, get the decktet to play many games with.

Personally, I am just finishing my decktet, and haven't played any games with it yet, so I can't speak for the quality of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used ArtsCow to make a Decktet deck. I find their cards to be a little thin so I sleeved it in Dragon Shield transparent sleeves. I like the quality of the result and the card art as well.

I've only played one game with the deck so far, Adaman, which is a solitaire game. I've actually played it a lot since it takes only a few minutes and I can play it while waiting for a game to start on BSW or while watching TV, etc. I quite like it.

I've been meaning to teach one of my sons to play Emu Ranchers, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

There are six suits on the cards and they're numbered 1 (Ace) to 10 (Crown) in the base set. There are six aces and six crowns (one for each suit) and three each of the numbers 2 through 9. The cards numbered 2 through 9 each have a pair of suits on them.

There are additional cards called pawns that each have three suits on them. I had them printed with my set but I haven't tried any games that use them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:
In short, yes it is. It is an attractive deck and I hope PD can get someone to produce them professionally.

I would buy a couple of decks if he did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are few reviews because the games are pretty recent. Do check out the Decktet wiki too as some people have posted comments on the game pages there ( http://decktet.wikidot.com/ )

There are no "famous" games for the system but some have adapted existing games to the decktet. For example, Frogger was inspired by Cartagena and I think plays quite well. I also adapted the concept from Waving Hands (is that game famous enough? ) into Dueling Runes

You should read the rules and see what you might enjoy for yourself, but I enjoyed Magnate, Jacynth and Quincunx a lot.

There's a list of games ordered by category on the wiki too: http://decktet.wikidot.com/games-listed-by-category
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the games are any better or worse than standard card games but they are a break from the norm. Some of the features of the decktet do give you new mechanics not possible with the standard deck.

Anything game that makes use of the dual suits is obviously going to be new.

Some games even take advantage of the card art. The art delightful as well.

The decktet is a relatively small print job and worth the time

You might even find yourself drawn to use these great cards in a game of your own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems at least one game: Bharg Deluxe, requires two decks. If printing from Artscow, could I leave out the pawns in the second deck or are there games that require the six additional cards twice?

This would allow me to print up two full double decks with three artscow decks.

36+ 42 + 36 +42 = 156 which is less than 162.

Edit: After doing a search in the rules PDF, Bharg deluxe is the only game that uses a double decktet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks to everybody else for saying most of what I would have said.

ralpher wrote:
It seems at least one game: Bharg Deluxe, requires two decks. If printing from Artscow, could I leave out the pawns in the second deck or are there games that require the six additional cards twice?

Bharg Deluxe is a complicated game - perhaps needlessly complicated. As a quick rummy game for the Decktet, I prefer ordinary single-deck Bharg. If you do play Bharg Deluxe, though, you can play with in as few or as many of the extended deck cards as you like; if your second deck had no Pawns, you could play with just four.

Most games just use the basic deck. So your proposal of printing two extended decks and two basic decks together would be more economical, but only provided you were already printing several Decktets. As you calculated, you'd need to get four decks before you realize a savings - and by that point it might make sense to mix the Decktet cards with cards from another game that you'd like to get from Artscow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed up a copy from artscow, the results are good, though at least one card is marked by the printing process. It's one of the nicest looking artscow decks I've seen.

I find the design of the deck mathematically and artistically pleasing (especially the use of colors matching the suit), but wonder about the decision to put two suits on most cards, when a sixty card deck of six suits would appear to play many more games.

I'd like to try a Decktet game that actually uses the pictures on the cards as part of the theme of the game. Are there any?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in my opinion, a regular 6 suits deck is nothing special and many regular decks with more or less suits have been around for a long time, but the fact that a card belongs to more than one suit is AFAIK something unique to the Decktet. Also, it is one of the main factors that make the games different than games for decks where cards only have one suit.

About games that use the piectures, there was talk about a story telling game using them, but I'm not sure if it was completed... the solo game Adaman ( http://decktet.wikidot.com/game:adaman ) distinguishes between regular cards and cards with characters in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jorge hit all of the high points.

There are lots of decks that have some number of cards in some number of distinct suits - and most of the games that use them can be played with an ordinary deck of cards. For example, Lost Cities has a beautiful deck of 13 cards in each of 5 suits. Emu Ranchers, a Decktet game inspired by Lost Cities, is different not because of the sixth suit but because of the cross-suited cards.

Adaman (link to the Decktet wiki) is a game that makes use of the difference between personality cards and the rest of the deck, but it doesn't do anything with the interpretive meaning of different personalities.

Epic is a story-telling game that Jens Alfke was developing. As far as I know, there still isn't a complete set of rules for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a fortunetelling ruleset based on the Decktet. Given that the art is Tarot inspired, I'm surprised it still hasn't been done. It'll bea good way to show the Decktet off to people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mean a set of game rules, Epic is the closest there is. If you mean guidelines for interpreting the cards, there's a page on using the cards for fortune telling at the Decktet website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Decktet phenomenally enjoyable and fun. The games aren't too familiar, which is a PLUS in my opinion! I've printed several and given them away to interested folks and people I've taught the game to. Like any game, you've got to help spread the word! I've always found people very receptive to new games, especially ones that are easy to learn and have fun garphics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shane maness
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Go here: http://www.taebl.com

start a blank game.

load this file:

http://taebl.com/forum/posts/downloadAttach/7.page

Voila! You can try out a decktet deck to see if you want to buy or make one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.