Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Okay, I know there are threads about buying sleeves, but none of them really give me a good feel for whether or not it is worth it. I have held off on buying sleeves for Dominion because I realize the cards won't fit in the insert the same. I think that I will use one of the storage solutions posted so far because I want to put intrigue in the same box. So I thought maybe I really should sleeve my cards, because they are starting to show some wear.

Last night I was at my FLGS for game night and some of us wanted to play Dominion. The copy we played with had the cards sleeved. They were euro sized, so I'm guessing they were the mayday original sleeves. It was an absolutely horrible experience. It took me longer to get the game setup, because I didn't have the insert to show me where the cards were. The cards are harder to shuffle, especially when you get a decent sized deck so you can start doing a normal shuffle with bridge.

For those of you who sleeve, what sleeves are you using and can you actually handle the cards and shuffle them easily. I want to protect my cards since I do get a lot of play out of this, but if it means not being able to shuffle it isn't worth it in my opinion. I didn't really want to spend the money on the premium sleeves, but if they are thick enough to actually be able to handle the cards better maybe I will. I really wish I could try them before buying though, because I'd hate to spend all that money to sleeve 1000 cards just to find out I hate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a previous MTG player, my group and I are used to the 'overhand' shuffle required when using sleeved cards. So it was a no-brainer for me to sleeve my copy.

It's true, performing this 'overhand' shuffle takes some getting used to. Only you can decide if it's worth your while.

I do NOT believe the premium sleeves are so much thicker that they allow a standard shuffle with a bridge. You'll still need to learn the 'overhand' shuffle.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jjacjackson wrote:
As a previous MTG player, my group and I are used to the 'overhand' shuffle required when using sleeved cards. So it was a no-brainer for me to sleeve my copy.

It's true, performing this 'overhand' shuffle takes some getting used to. Only you can decide if it's worth your while.

I do NOT believe the premium sleeves are so much thicker that they allow a standard shuffle with a bridge. You'll still need to learn the 'overhand' shuffle.

Good luck!

Thanks, I know how to do an overhand shuffle, but I don't think it really shuffles the cards very well. That is pretty much all you can do at the beginning anyway, and if you have a chapel deck. However, once I get enough cards I like to be able to shuffle normally.

Thanks for the comment. I'll have to keep thinking about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Travis,

I had not sleeved before Dominion and now that I have the whole family actually likes them.

I agree, the shuffling overhand doesn't seem to shuffle as well as I'd like them to but over time it is not bothering me as much.

We recently sleeved San Juan and BattleLore also. I'm using the standard Mayday card sleeves.

Maybe buy a pack of 100 (can get them as cheap as $2 or $3) and see if you like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought the "penny-sleeves", and have sleeved up both Dominion and Race for the Galaxy.

I will be honest, I am having a very tough time getting used to the sleeves. They just don't shuffle properly, so now most of the time we are resorting to the "pile shuffle", which is a method my 6 year old son uses to shuffle. Pretty painful when you shuffle as much as you do in Dominion.

And the unusually tall Race for the Galaxy pile keeps wobbling over because the cards are now very slippery and loose.

I think I might try the better sleeves, although the very good sleeves are almost as expensive as purchasing the game new.

For the record, I am using the Ultra Pro penny sleeves. I'm open to any suggestions as to which sleeves would be a step or two up from these, without breaking the bank (or costing as much as the game itself). The sleeves I got were true penny-sleeves. It cost me about $5.00 to sheath 500 cards. Dominion only costs in the $40 range here, so anything above $20 / 500 cards isn't a reasonable price, for me at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gaming buddies who sleeve everything; personally, I don't sleeve anything.

Maybe it's because I was raised a Catholic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elkabong wrote:
I recently bought the "penny-sleeves", and have sleeved up both Dominion and Race for the Galaxy.

I will be honest, I am having a very tough time getting used to the sleeves. They just don't shuffle properly, so now most of the time we are resorting to the "pile shuffle", which is a method my 6 year old son uses to shuffle. Pretty painful when you shuffle as much as you do in Dominion.

And the unusually tall Race for the Galaxy pile keeps wobbling over because the cards are now very slippery and loose.

I think I might try the better sleeves, although the very good sleeves are almost as expensive as purchasing the game new.

For the record, I am using the Ultra Pro penny sleeves. I'm open to any suggestions as to which sleeves would be a step or two up from these, without breaking the bank (or costing as much as the game itself). The sleeves I got were true penny-sleeves. It cost me about $5.00 to sheath 500 cards. Dominion only costs in the $40 range here, so anything above $20 / 500 cards isn't a reasonable price, for me at least.

The main problem here is that Ultra Pro sleeves don't fit Dominion. You gotta get the Mayday ones for those. And tell me honestly, how many times have you actually played your Race sleeved? If you use sleeves long enough, you'll know that they'll lose their "slick" feeling after a few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
princemousey wrote:

The main problem here is that Ultra Pro sleeves don't fit Dominion. You gotta get the Mayday ones for those. And tell me honestly, how many times have you actually played your Race sleeved? If you use sleeves long enough, you'll know that they'll lose their "slick" feeling after a few plays.

Twice.
You got me there. I am definitely new to sleeves.

Unfortunately the Mayday sleeves aren't easy to get in my part of the world. No one I deal with in Canada carries them. Everyone carries Mayday stuff, but nobody carries those sleeves. I guess I will have to special order it.

I used to just order it in the US and cross the border, but the jack-booted thugs of the Department of Homeland Security aren't currently allowing me to cross due to a lack of paperwork

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elkabong wrote:
Unfortunately the Mayday sleeves aren't easy to get in my part of the world. No one I deal with in Canada carries them. Everyone carries Mayday stuff, but nobody carries those sleeves. I guess I will have to special order it.

www.fungamescafe.com carries them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gamer DC wrote:
Travis,

I had not sleeved before Dominion and now that I have the whole family actually likes them.

I agree, the shuffling overhand doesn't seem to shuffle as well as I'd like them to but over time it is not bothering me as much.

We recently sleeved San Juan and BattleLore also. I'm using the standard Mayday card sleeves.

Maybe buy a pack of 100 (can get them as cheap as $2 or $3) and see if you like them.

Thanks for the post. I think this just might come down to a case of getting used to the feel. I don't want to buy one pack just to test them out, because then I have to pay for shipping twice (I don't know of a game store where I'm at that carries them). I actually got one of the $25 gift certificates to thoughthammer in that recent mega meeple contest. I'm trying to decide whether to spend it on a pre-order of the pandemic expansion or to sleeve my dominion and intrigue games. Both cost about the same amount, assuming I get the original sleeves and not the premium ones.

Another thing is, I already did try them out. That is why I started this thread. I pretty much had my mind made up that I was going to buy the sleeves until I played with a sleeved copy of Dominion. I just didn't like the feel of it. Again, maybe I'll just have to buy them and give them some time to get used to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've given up sleeving.

First of all, sleeves in Croatia cost a fortune. Well, getting a game over here, too, costs a fortune, but still, sleeving all the cards of Dominion would cost even more then the price of the game plus shipping.

However, I sleeved a few of my M:tG decks and I must say I didn't really like the way it felt - like I was playing an unwrapped game. My friends also despised the overall unshuffliness and slipperiness of it all. So I ditched the sleeves altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyboy157 wrote:
jjacjackson wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks, I know how to do an overhand shuffle, but I don't think it really shuffles the cards very well. That is pretty much all you can do at the beginning anyway, and if you have a chapel deck. However, once I get enough cards I like to be able to shuffle normally.

Thanks for the comment. I'll have to keep thinking about it.

I usually pile shuffle (3-5 piles) when I still don't have enough cards in the deck. I'm quick enough at that so it doesn't slow the game. Once you have enough cards in the deck, and know how to properly do the overhand shuffle, you'll be able to randomise your deck well enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JovenShadowcaster wrote:
Some recurring themes I thought I'd add my opinions/experience on:

You have to get Mayday's Euro-sized sleeves, and you can order them right from the manufacturer at www.maydaygames.com. Standard-sized sleeves are just big enough to make the game a pain in the arse to shuffle (having that extra loose flab hanging off the side of the cards is murderous!). If you use the right size sleeve, the game is not hard to shuffle at all.

Overhand shuffling is easiest, but you CAN shuffle standard in proper sleeves. You just have to mind which direction the sleeves are facing -- shuffle at a 90-degree angle with the bottoms at the point and the open ends facing out so you can twist the V back together after the shuffle and have all the cards facing the same direction again. If you don't understand, have a local Magic player show you a few methods.

After a few shuffles, the sleeves will lose their slippery feel. Basically, you just gotta rough up the plastic a bit. So, after sleeving, shuffle everything relentlessly for a few minutes and you'll be fine; nothing will slide anywhere.

I also suggest the penny-sleeves over premium sleeves. Mayday produces a thicker premium sleeve, but they cost double, and also make the cards too thick to fit in the box. By the by, did I mention that the cards WILL fit in the original box insert if you're using Euro-sized penny sleeves? Mine fit like a charm; snug enough that I can throw the box around all I want and the cards will stay in place so long as the lid stays on the box.

My Dominion cards are sleeved, and of all the people I keep drawing in to play, nobody has complained. As an added benefit, my cards will last forever, and I like that. With all the excessive shuffling one does every few turns in Dominion, and the damage I've seen it do to a few decks in my area (it's a REALLY well-played game), it's very much worth that extra peace-of-mind.

Thanks for the input. I was only considering the euro sleeves that mayday produces. I realize that you can fit the cards in the box still, but then you can't use the insert down the middle, because you have to use the middle slot for your copper, so it will make setup and tear down take longer.

As I think more about it, I'm starting to lean more and more towards getting the sleeves. If the sleeves lose their "slip" as people have been saying I think that will help things out quite a bit for me. I think I'm just hesitating because it isn't something I'm used to. I will just have to get them and use them and then I think it will probably work out just fine. Again, thanks for all the posts here, it has really helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to everybody for your input. I decided to get the sleeves and see how I like them. If I hate them I'm not really out too much, because I'm using the gift card I won in the mega meeple contest. I'm hoping they will work out though, I really want to protect my cards. I'll have to post again after I get them and have a chance to use them for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Barkå
Sweden
Solna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it *much* easier to shuffle with sleeves. I also have never played any of my games unsleeved (except Lost Cities and the occasional deck of ordinary playing cards) since I sleeved my first copy of Settlers sometime in the almost forgotten past...

I guess it is a combination of practice and personal taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kittock
United States
Menlo Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chrisjwmartin wrote:
I have gaming buddies who sleeve everything; personally, I don't sleeve anything.

Maybe it's because I was raised a Catholic.

LOL -- good one. I don't sleeve either... just not anal-retentive enough. I guess if my copy of Dominion ever got so worn it was annoying me I'd buy another one. It seems worth the extra $35 to avoid the hassles with sleeving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M.
United States
Kings Mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just piggyback off this thread. First to the original poster, are you glad you got the sleeves?

I'm just wondering from folks who have played a lot without sleeved cards, do you wish you would have? I just bought the game and after one play realized just how much the cards are going to be shuffled. I'm not a card sleever, and honestly I don't get a ton of plays in on games either. So I'm wondering if its even worth it for me to consider.

I'll be very surprised if my copy of Dominion sees even 100 plays. For you game gurus that put lots of play in....do you think that Dominion needs sleeves to preserve the cards at this rate of play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I really can't tell that much damage on my set. I have played at least 100 games on my set without sleeves. You can tell that the estates are worn, and a few action cards, but it doesn't look bad. I think it's definitely not worth it to
1. spend so much time/money (okay, not so much on the money) on sleeving them
2. have to overhand shuffle/teach all my friends/family to overhand shuffle, especially in a game with this much shuffling
just to keep my cards from a minimal amount of wear. My set still looks nice. It doesn't look new, but it doesn't look bad either. Just shuffle kindly and your cards stay good-looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M.
United States
Kings Mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know, thanks Tanner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy Dominion and 5 packs of Mayday Games Euro Sleeves you can fit the cards back in the box just fine. You will be able to fit every item in its proper slot with the exception of the copper cards. The extra few copper cards you can put behind the trash card or the blanks spot just fine and still use the center organizer that comes with the latest version of the game, or download it and use it from BGG or Rio Grande's website.

Anyone interested in picking up 5 packs of sleeves directly from us can also use coupon code "dominion" for 25% off.

Total for nationwide (including AK, HI, PR and APO) is:
5 Packs at $2.25 each = $11.25
Discount (dominion) -$2.81
Shipping & Handling (USPS - First-Class Mail Parcel) $2.78
Total: $11.22 shipped.

If you have any problems or questions about sleeves feel free to email to maydaygames@gmail.com or call us.

Here is a 2 minute video on the overhand shuffle:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
donbaloo wrote:
I'll just piggyback off this thread. First to the original poster, are you glad you got the sleeves?

I'm just wondering from folks who have played a lot without sleeved cards, do you wish you would have? I just bought the game and after one play realized just how much the cards are going to be shuffled. I'm not a card sleever, and honestly I don't get a ton of plays in on games either. So I'm wondering if its even worth it for me to consider.

I'll be very surprised if my copy of Dominion sees even 100 plays. For you game gurus that put lots of play in....do you think that Dominion needs sleeves to preserve the cards at this rate of play?

I was just about to come back and update this. I got my sleeves on Wednesday and since then have played 8 games with the sleeves. I think it was definitely worth the purchase. Out of those plays only one person playing with me had ever used sleeved cards before and nobody said anything bad about it and they all had an easy time shuffling the cards.

If you aren't going to get 100 plays out of it, I'd say don't do it. I am up to 160 plays now and my cards are showing wear. I expect to get hundreds of more plays and that is why I finally decided to sleeve them. People were also complaining that the cards were starting to feel a little stickier.

Thanks again for all the responses on the thread. It helped to hear good things about the sleeves and I'm glad that my copy, and soon my Intrigue copy, is sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played MTG with sleeves for as long as I can remember, and have sleeves on order for Dominion. I can understand what you mean about the difficulty of shuffling as the sleeves can stick etc. and you can't really do a bridge shuffle with them on. I use overhand shuffling, but I also cut the deck and can push one half into the other as part of the shuffling. This acts a little like bridge shuffling but without the accuracy obviously. Normally this would seriously damage the edge of the cards and is difficult. However, with sleeves on it works a treat.

Hope that helps a little cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tej S
United States
Los Gatos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyboy157 wrote:

Thanks for the input. I was only considering the euro sleeves that mayday produces. I realize that you can fit the cards in the box still, but then you can't use the insert down the middle, because you have to use the middle slot for your copper, so it will make setup and tear down take longer.

I fit everything (except cards I never use) without the middle slot by removing the blanks and the placeholders for the victory points and treasure cards. I store 13 copper in one of the blank spots and 10 silver in the other one. The remaining copper and silver fit shoved into their respective slots. (I could probably fit the extra placeholders, but I haven't tried since I never use them.) I also had to trim the insert a little to fit, but it's still clear what's what. I used the mayday standard euro sleeves. This worked for me both in the base game and in intrigue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
evilcow wrote:
monkeyboy157 wrote:

I fit everything (except cards I never use) without the middle slot by removing the blanks and the placeholders for the victory points and treasure cards. I store 13 copper in one of the blank spots and 10 silver in the other one. The remaining copper and silver fit shoved into their respective slots. (I could probably fit the extra placeholders, but I haven't tried since I never use them.) I also had to trim the insert a little to fit, but it's still clear what's what. I used the mayday standard euro sleeves. This worked for me both in the base game and in intrigue.

Do you have the promo cards? This takes up two more slots. Actually I found this inlay that has space to cutout the center and use the copper. I've been using that and it works great. I'm just waiting him to come out with the intrigue version now. Until then I'm doing just what you have described, using extra slots for the excess treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tej S
United States
Los Gatos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them, but I didn't like them, so I don't keep them in the box. I have them in one of the plastic bags that the sleeves came in, and I used to keep them in the box loose in that. I'm thinking about moving everything over to an old mtg box with index card labels instead so I don't have to carry both boxes around everywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.