Popular Tags: [View All]
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little under a month ago, I posted on this board six game ideas that I was thinking about. As I mentioned at that time, I want to make one of these ideas into an actual game for the experience of doing it. I am doing this for the fun of creating, not to actually gain anything. I appreciated all of the comments about which idea people liked the most but the most helpful piece of advice was, "As for which game to pursue I strongly implore you to design the game you have the most fun making. The passion will show in the quality of the game."

I know market wise it is an over represented genre (as someone pointed out in the first thread), but the game I believe I will have the most fun making is a Zombie card game. I have put a good deal in thought in how the game will work and I wrote out some of my thoughts on it. Without many concrete examples yet, it is kind of hard to describe what I am envisioning, but I would greatly appreciate it if you would take a look at the following and offer any suggestions that could make a game like this better or (gentle) critiques on the concept and proposed execution. Thanks a lot!

Concept
This game would be a non collectible customizable card game for two to four players. The game will have a Zombie theme, and the goal of the game is to complete the objective or be the last surviving player.

Set Up
The way this game will work is that a common deck will be constructed from smaller decks. The game will have several locations, and each location will have its own deck of cards. Players will choose or pick by random a few of the locations. The players will also pick one objective, and the objective will also have its own deck of cards that are added to the common deck. Finally each player will pick a character that has cards that will be added to the deck. There will be more locations, goals, and characters than is needed for one game so that each game can be very different.

Gameplay
Each player will have attributes that were function a bit like resources. These attributes are life, ammunition, cunning, and luck. The players will move from location to location to play cards which will increase these attributes. For example, a first aid kit could only be played if the player is in the hospital and it would increase the player's life. Fighting Zombies, which might happen when a player moves from location to location or when another player plays a zombie horde card, is done by expending the attribute like resources. For example, a zombie horde card might require three ammunition, four cunning, or five life to defeat/escape. The player would have to expend the attribute/resource of their choice that they have enough of. If they are one or two short of meeting a requirement, then they can use luck as a "wild", but luck is the hardest attribute to replenish. If a player's does not have enough ammunition or cunning to fight off the horde, then they must use life, and once life is used up then they are dead. In addition to item cards that strengthen attributes and Zombie horde cards to attack other players there will also be special cards that can be played at specific times to either help the person who played the card or hurt another player. Occasionally, a ten sided die will be used to determine chance. For example when a player moves into a location or stays at a location they will roll the 10 sided die and each location will have a number they will have to roll over to keep from fighting zombies.

The way a player turn works is they first draw cards. They may either draw a card from the discard pile or two cards from the top of the deck. If they draw two cards from the top of the deck they keep one and put the other in the discard pile (cards that are played go to the used pile and not the discard pile) The player then decides if they are going to move or stay put. Each location will have a "board" card that is placed on the table to represent the location, configuration does not matter as each player (who will have a pawn of some sorts) can move from any location to any other location. A player then rolls to see if they have to fight Zombies. The player then gets the opportunity to "search" and play all applicable item cards (most item cards are location specific). Then other players may play Zombie horde cards to attack the active player, and then it becomes the next players turn. Play rotates like this until there is a sole survivor or a player accomplishes the objective.

An example objective would be "Signal for help". To complete the objective a player has to fire a flare from the top of a building. To do this, a player must first play the "flare gun" card and then move to another building and spend three turns to ascend to the roof. Each turn the odds of fighting the locations zombies will increase. If the player makes it to the top of the building and survives their turn they win. The objective deck that is added to the common deck, will contain flare guns but it will also have special cards that opponents can use to cause the gun to malfunction, be dropped, or even stolen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Zombie fans, I don't believe that you can have too many zombie games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Firstly, I like zombie games zombie

Based on what you have said, I'd recommend looking at "Order of the Stick" and consider modifying it a bit with your theme. That way you dont need to worry about a player playing as zombies and can have all the "challenges" that you want and different ways to win the game.
Also means players CAN play zombie horde cards on each other.
With a bit of design cunning you can also have different areas/missions/ways to win as well.

The downside with that is, you will need to decide if you want player vs player combat or not.

Other thoughts of course are, see how different you can make your game from "Last night on Earth" which is a very very cool zombie game indeed.

Best wishes with the game and I hope you do well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick comment: I don't know if the idea of building your deck from multiple small decks is a new one, but I like it. It adds customization and deck building without it being way to complicated and taking up too much time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably like something like this better if it were coop. There's just something about a shared desperate struggle that really creates the tension for me. It just seems to fit the horror survival theme so well not to mention most of the media that inspires your game reinforces this.

Anyhow, hopefully you can get your idea tweaked, tested, and with any luck published. I know I'd buy it, if turns out to be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept is badd-azz and is interesting...to me, being a zombie fan. zombie

I can go either way for PvP, or Co-Op, or even solo. As you get the rules fleshed out or done, if you need a reviewer, let me know.

The draw cards seems like a nice trick. Get two cards for sure, and keep one, or take a chance on what was last discarded. Nice.

My first thought when I saw this post was it made me think of Left4Dead in a way.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap, someone appreciates my advice. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Del_Esau wrote:
Holy crap, someone appreciates my advice. lol

Of course. But people who know me, usually think I'm the guy who goes against the flow....so I'm the odd fish out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.