Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott McPheeters
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan brought the game and had reviewed the rules so after a little bit of explaining we dived right in. The game has a neat feel, and I think Dan was accurate in his quick description that it had a feel like "Risk without the dice". The game started with everyone basically randomly choosing their race and special power badge combo. We tried to make smart choices but it just wasn't clear to us let what a good choice was.

This is how the game started:

Chuck - Wizards and Hill
Mark - Dwarves and Fortified
Dan - Orcs and Swamp
Scott - Sorcerers and Forest
Greg - Giants and Underworld.

The game started with everyone staying away from each other and taking empty spaces or spaces with only Lost Tribes. I felt this help the game get going because no one was worrying about getting attacked the first 2 game turns. We did have some discussion as to what decided how many tokens were available for each race till we figured out it was basically the number of the race + 5.

Greg had the first unique plays with the special power badge Underworld. That was what really opened our minds to studying all the available special power badges and deciding which one we thought was valuable. We had figured out that for example Forest gives extra victory points, but the Underworld was interesting.

Mark was the first one to decline, which he did on turn 3. There was a lot of discussion about the fortresses he had placed, whether they stayed out or not and how that worked in decline. It is interesting the discussions you can have with a new game and so many rules you are trying to learn and not forget, because it was clearly in the rules what happens. "The Fortress also augments your Region's defense by 1 (just as if you had an additional Race token stationed there), even if you leave or are In Decline."

After 3 turns I did a check to see what everyone thought of the game, the responses were "Too early to say", "I have no idea what I am doing", and a couple of too early to comment.

After Mark declined, we all figured out what declining was and we each started declining over the next couple of turns. Since we had a better understanding of how the race and badge worked together we saw people making very specific choices because of the combos presented to them.

The game continued with people attacking each other, and actually trying to do some kind of strategy with their new race/badge. Mark was able to take advantage of Stout and decline again, Greg did a good job of getting to all the water spaces to use the seafaring badge. Chuck sure enjoyed using Dragon Master. Scott desperately tried to use his berserk badge, but he swore the dice only had "white" sides! Dan took advantage of the Commando badge to spread out quickly.

At the end of the game the final scores were:

87 - Chuck
78 - Mark
74 - Greg
70 - Dan
64 - Scott

After thoughts:
Everyone enjoyed the declining races and felt that was an interesting mechanic. The idea of committing to sitting out a turn, unless you had stout, made you think ahead and switch your game plan in the middle of the game because of the new race and special badge. Chuck enjoyed the fact that no one bothered his declined race and the extra victory points each turn really helped. We have hopefully learned our lesson and won't let that happen again. Dan feels the next play would be a lot better because every will know how it works at the start.

All in all everyone enjoyed the game and is looking forward to the next play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottmc94 wrote:

This is how the game started:

Chuck - Wizards and Hill
Mark - Dwarves and Forest
Dan - Orcs and Swamp
Scott - Sorcerers and Forest
Greg - Giants and Underworld.

Not possible for two players to have the same secondary power at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McPheeters
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap! I will have to check with him, I obviously wrote it down wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottmc94 wrote:
We did have some discussion as to what decided how many tokens were available for each race till we figured out it was basically the number of the race + 5.

The number of tokens used for a race is based on adding the large number on the bottom right of the race tile with the large number at the bottom left of the special ability tile. So Ratmen with 8 combined with Commando 4 would give you 12 Ratmen tokens to use.

My first game of this was with 5 (myself and four teenagers.) On the first turn they were already paying their coins and moving down the ladder to find the combos they wanted. Very few questions and clear rules made this easy to teach and left everyone wanting to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Baig
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
What the Hell are YOU staring at?!
mbmbmbmbmb
scottmc94 wrote:
Crap! I will have to check with him, I obviously wrote it down wrong.

You mentioned in your first post that Mark had placed fortresses: he must have been Fortified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McPheeters
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, yes he was Fortified!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.