Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Weinfurther
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At my FLGS the other day, I saw two table mats for WoW. Has anybody seen these? Are they worth buying? Funagain sells them for $32.... seems like a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Simpson
England
Brighton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
UKf2fDip.org - supporting Face to Face Diplomacy in the UK
badge
Yes, it's very dark isn't it? Almost... black. Yes, I shall need to get the black out. Black.... BLACK!!! Like The darkness of space that leads into the chasm of clams.... My eyes!! My eyes are pies..and yours are lies...
mbmbmbmbmb
In answer to your first question, yeah, YOU'VE seen 'em! That's the best I got on that one.

Looks like America's getting a good deal, they are selling over here in the UK for £28. $45 plus!

I like the look of these simply for demarking the playing area for small scenarios, but like Gary, I'm thinking that this is a lot of money compared to just rolling out some felt.

Can anyone enlighten us further?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a better choice:

http://www.hotzmats.com/mat_1-euro_field.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Received my two official mats today - and I think they are great!
The colors are a bit too bright for my taste, but they are like very light mouse pads - doesn't weigh much, are easy to roll and unroll.
Stay flat and stable on a table surface, and seem durable enough. Although te latter will have to been tested in play.

While the mats won't change the physical game, they should increase the psycologial aspect a great deal. I love them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at these online today and wondered why they were only designed for side to side (98cm x 136cm) and not also end to end 196cm x 68 cm. The photos I've seen of large groups playing have shown that long and narrow seems to be how people put their tables together. It wouldn't have been too hard to draw landscape that would have allowed for matching on both ends and both sides, allowing alteranting extension in all directions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree. I have elsewhere expressed the exact same viewpoint.
It would have been very easy to design the mats so that two of the short sides also matched together. In fact, if they had been truely thoughtful, they would have created the two mats so that *all* four sides matched at least one other side, so that you could create a map of any size whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mik, that the material that they are made from is good in the way that it helps them to lay flat. I would have preferred a less slippers surface, but it's a small point.

The big shame in my mind is the way that the colours are so bright - much brighter than the movement cards' backgrounds - and also that the scale is different to that of the movement cards. The two things combine to turn what could have been a great product into one that it's hard to recommend at the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(have also posted this comment attached to an image of the mat)

I have played on this mat and have to confirm it really enhances the gameplay greatly.

Its not cheap but the cards sit and move quite nicely over it (its like a mousemat finish)

It was my first proper game of Wings of War and I reckon it still would have played great on a table with its wooden coloured sky but it notched the experience up a couple of levels seeing the fields and houses below.

The width of the mat is just about the minimum recommended (its 68cm, the recommended it at least 70cm)
I cant remember the exact length but we seemed to get into range within the 2nd turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flynn
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
At first, I was reluctant to make the purchase since the mats seemed expensive for their size. Previously, I had purchased a large hobby grass mat(about 8 ft. long and 4 ft. wide) for about $25. I really like this on the dining room table but it is a tad messy with the little flecks of grass falling off etc. I think the grass map is a good way to go but I am also happy that I picked up the WOW official maps. They are very stable and have just the right combination of stability when placing cards and moving the aircraft and slickness when pulling the cards of the surface. Overall, well done if a tad overpriced. Still, I would be interested should they make additional maps to increase the size of the playing surface. I like a large surface as it adds more strategy and variety even if it lengthens the game time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are great-looking and My FLGS is selling them for $40 apiece. I think $80 is a bit steep for a not-quite 6'x4' set. That's $80 I could put towards the new WoW WWII minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.