David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused by the 'Mark Owned?' checkbox under 'User Information' on a game page. I utilize the User Information area quite a bit... adding plays, recording personal data, updating my collection, etc. Just recently I have noticed this new checkbox. What is it? Why is it checked by default?

Any help would be appreciated to shed some light on this subject. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check 'Mark Owned' on the game page, you are checking that you own the game. I think its for different edition purposes.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Overton
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am confused.
Games I don't even own are mark owned and when I check the info. It shows me owning it. I thought we had to select own. Are all games owned by default unless we uncheck it?

Thanks,
Darrell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oculona wrote:
I too am confused.
Games I don't even own are mark owned and when I check the info. It shows me owning it. I thought we had to select own. Are all games owned by default unless we uncheck it?

Thanks,
Darrell

Thank you for understanding my frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to game you have never seen before, you will see it has "mark owned". If you then click "record information", then the entry will automatically become "owned", with the "owned" box checked.
That's all it seems to do.

It's frustrating for me, as I often mark games "want in trade". Now I have to either uncheck the box "mark owned" or uncheck "owned", before I can finish editing the entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
If you go to game you have never seen before, you will see it has "mark owned". If you then click "record information", then the entry will automatically become "owned", with the "owned" box checked.
That's all it seems to do.

It's frustrating for me, as I often mark games "want in trade". Now I have to either uncheck the box "mark owned" or uncheck "owned", before I can finish editing the entry.

Yea, it appears that is its only purpose. This brings up another question... this feature is quite new, so why was it added? What did it solve or what does it improve?

It makes me click more, not less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
There was a great deal of confusion with users adding games to their collection, then not finding them "in their collection" because they were not "owned". This should allow users to add items to their collection and mark them owned at the same time. For new users, this is what they will be doing most frequently, so it is the default. Unchecking the box if you want to add a game to your collection without marking it owned does not seem to me to be a great hardship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
There was a great deal of confusion with users adding games to their collection, then not finding them "in their collection" because they were not "owned".

I think a cleaner solution would simply be to have the "Owned" box checked by default when the user records information. Experienced players that are only adding a "want in trade" item will know well enough to uncheck it. And then you don't have a checkbox at the bottom of every game page that might be misunderstood as indicating you own the game when in fact you don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
dakarp wrote:
There was a great deal of confusion with users adding games to their collection, then not finding them "in their collection" because they were not "owned".

I think a cleaner solution would simply be to have the "Owned" box checked by default when the user records information. Experienced players that are only adding a "want in trade" item will know well enough to uncheck it. And then you don't have a checkbox at the bottom of every game page that might be misunderstood as indicating you own the game when in fact you don't.

You're right. I'll make that change later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
There was a great deal of confusion with users adding games to their collection, then not finding them "in their collection" because they were not "owned". This should allow users to add items to their collection and mark them owned at the same time. For new users, this is what they will be doing most frequently, so it is the default. Unchecking the box if you want to add a game to your collection without marking it owned does not seem to me to be a great hardship.

How about a setting to make it optional?
It starts checked as default - then experienced users can change it off!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
dakarp wrote:

Way too complicated. We don't need more optional settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
dakarp wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:

Way too complicated. We don't need more optional settings.

Too complicated to implement? OK, I can understand that, if that's what you mean.

I'm still disappointed; while it's a minor inconvenience, it's _another_ inconvenience above and beyond the switch from simply recording information to having to add a game to the collection just to comment on it to having to add it, and then unmark it, to do the same. Not a big deal, but it's another straw in the "why is it I'm bothering to record information here?" stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
You can see why it's a problem either way right? Back to the drawing board. This UX stuff is hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmb
I changed it so that now, if you don't own a copy of the game, there are two options--Add a copy to your collection (which marks it as owned) and Record Information, which adds an unowned copy so you can record comments and ratings.

If you already own the game, the only option is add a copy to your collection, since presumably if you want to record information, you'll do it on your existing copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
I changed it so that now, if you don't own a copy of the game, there are two options--Add a copy to your collection (which marks it as owned) and Record Information, which adds an unowned copy so you can record comments and ratings.

If you already own the game, the only option is add a copy to your collection, since presumably if you want to record information, you'll do it on your existing copy.

I can see that this might cause confusion to users who are used to the idea that the user's collection includes games that are not necessarily owned, but also those that they just want to record info for.

I wonder if instead of "Add a copy to your collection", this option could read simply "Mark as owned" or maybe "Add a copy to your collection (mark as owned)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Would this added check box be able to be used to mark games "IN MY EXTENDED COLLECTION" meaning games my close friends have that I do not own?

That would be pretty tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:
Would this added check box be able to be used to mark games "IN MY EXTENDED COLLECTION" meaning games my close friends have that I do not own?

I asked myself this question several times... To bad I wasn't smart enough to ask someone if this would be possible shake
It would indeed be a nice and useful feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
garion wrote:
kevintlee wrote:

I asked myself this question several times... To bad I wasn't smart enough to ask someone if this would be possible shake
It would indeed be a nice and useful feature.

Actually adding a checkbox simply named FRIEND OWNS and then some other search tool on your MY GEEK page to look up EXTENDED COLLECTION would do it pretty easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
dakarp wrote:

Thanks, Dan! That does the trick...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:

Ok, so if I want to add a game to my wishlist, I now click "Record Information" instead of add to collection?

If so, that works for me. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is the name "My Collection" for all the games I care about. There are many games I care about, have rated, etc. which I don't own; calling that set of games "My Collection" leads to confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection: an accumulation of objects. A grouping, an aggregate.

The games you have rated is your collection of ratings given. The games you have played is your collection of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.