United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After years of decline, Origins is looking much better this year under the new manager, John Ward. More exhibitors this year, with more being game companies and there is even carpet in the exhibit hall again. My only complaint so far is continuing to call boardgames 'tabletops', a sad old quirk of the former manager.

The staff is well organized & responsive, problems are quickly and professionally resolved. Hopefully we will see a return to the halcyon days I knew when Andon managed the show. Well done, Mr. Ward, you are off to a great start!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I can confirm this for other locations. I spent a big chunk of today in the kids' room and a smaller chunk in the CABS room. CABS has their presentation down to a science (literally, in this case as the Rio Grande giveaway is generated randomly by the computer). But I was pleasantly surprised by the kids' room. It was nice to see how well this was set up and the availability of volunteers. I'm looking forward to see what the vendor room has to offer tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The largest ever Wednesday crowd for the War/Board Rooms !!!

If this is any indication of the rest of the con and the rest of the week ...

It will be HUGE !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Duggan
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are really more exhibitors? Maybe more small guys, but some big names are missing (Privateer Press, Matrix games)

The Origins site says there were 170 exhibitors last year.

I count 151 on the hall map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also missing are Days of Wonder and Flying Frog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Duggan
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think DoW has ever been there, at least in several years.

GMT is also AWOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got excited when I saw the title, I'm attending Origins tomorrow-Sunday, but with a growing list of vendors missings...I hadn't noticed Matrix or GMT until you mentioned it. Guess two more companies that won't be getting my money.whistle

Dow was there in '07 as I bought Colossuem from them and I believe the Pacific theater for Memoir '44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Erb
United States
Parkersburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just spend your money with the groups that did show. Once attendance grows and the vendors start bringing in some money, the big dogs will come back.

I will be there tomorrow and Saturday. Can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The part of the Auction that I saw was also very good, well organized with a pro auctioneer. Nice!

As for the number of vendors, all I can say is that the bathroom fixture people and other folk of their ilk are not exhibiting this year!

We quit exhibiting at Origins a few years ago, after 10 straight years of exhibiting at Origins. It was obvious that it was just going to get worse and worse. It did. Now I can see that it is going to get better. From what I have seen, it might be worth exhibiting at Origins again. I will consider it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laserdog wrote:
The largest ever Wednesday crowd for the War/Board Rooms !!!

If this is any indication of the rest of the con and the rest of the week ...

It will be HUGE !!!

Perhaps, George, but it still doesn't begin to compare to WBC (we are talking boardgames here, folks). Of course, WBC doesn't begin to compare to Essen. This will be our 15th year at Essen, I love that show!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had over 800 Board Room ribbons sold through Tursday ... last night was like last years FRIDAY .... We will fly past last years total of 1000 attendees ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I set up PitchCar in the Board Room yesterday and had quite a few people that had always seen it, but never played it. Really need to find a rolling bag to carry this stuff in, though... I lugged about 28 lbs of games across the convention center at least twice after hurting my back Wednesday night. That bag didn't get any lighter at 6:00 on the way out to the car.

I did notice that there was an absence of BathFitters this year in the vendor hall but strangely enough, INS was there.

Also got the actually see the GameScience precision gaming dice with a diplay that could cause seizures.

And yes, while some of the big boys are gone this year, I've seen a lot of new vendors with some interesting stuff. Asmodee was there this year with a few new games I hadn't heard of yet that look interesting.

I didn't see a whole lot of armbands walking around yet, but Friday and Saturday should bring those people out. And now I'm off to load the car again and get on the road. See you guys there in a little bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heirodule wrote:
There are really more exhibitors? Maybe more small guys, but some big names are missing (Privateer Press, Matrix games)

The Origins site says there were 170 exhibitors last year.

I count 151 on the hall map.

Privateer didn't surprise me, really. Origins has been swinging more to the way of baord and card games and less miniatures. GenCon has evolved as a miniatures haven in its place.

And that 170 last year included a bunch of non-game related vendors that I don't see this year. The BathFitter guy in the werewolf costume must have figured out this wasn't going to be his core clientele.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
George, but it still doesn't begin to compare to WBC (we are talking boardgames here, folks). Of course, WBC doesn't begin to compare to Essen. This will be our 15th year at Essen, I love that show!

Apples and oranges ...

The Board Room attendance (ribbons sold) will likely surpass that of the attendance of the WBC ...

But they are two are different animals totally and cannot be compared ... (other than body count) which is not a measure of the cons at all ... Both are awesome ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I didn't see Columbia Games there, either. soblue

On the other hand, I did get a chance to talk with lots of vendors who took to time to show their wares as well as talk about the state of the industry/business. I think I made a few friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I set up PitchCar in the Board Room yesterday and had quite a few people that had always seen it, but never played it. Really need to find a rolling bag to carry this stuff in, though... I lugged about 28 lbs of games across the convention center at least twice after hurting my back Wednesday night. That bag didn't get any lighter at 6:00 on the way out to the car.

Side issue to this thread, but I would love to hear if you find a good way to do that. I have too many different parts for this (including the 4 foot sections) and I am trying to figure an efficient way to store them too!

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree at all with the premise of this thread, but that's because I enjoyed last year as I'm enjoying this year. 2 of my 3 events yesterday had problems... the exhibit halls seems about the same to me with some old hats like Crazy Egor's, Troll and Toad, Z-Man, Mayfair, and Rio Grande... and some vendor's I don't recall seeing here before... and some major board game vendors like Days of Wonder not here (just as they weren't last year).

Don't walk away from this thread thinking it's a dramatic change from last year... likewise, don't walk away thinking last year was bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am viewing Origins from a 16 year experience as a gamer & exhibitor, that info may help your understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do wonder why DOW has disappeared from a lot of conventions.

Columbia and GMT no longer doing Origins is unsurprising, as they has already noted they don't get the return on investment for the fees Origins charges. They are both at WBC (along with Acadaemy Games, Lock and Load, Decision, 21 vendors in all).

Glad to hear the board room is doing well. WBC pre-registration is also doing well, so it appears the convention goers are still going in spite of the economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Roethele
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The vendor room felt a bit smaller, but there were definitely less irrelevant vendors this year. There were also some new vendors (that guy with with the big booth of Warhammer stuff) and a few vendors increased their booth size (I think the Looney Labs booth was substantially bigger this year, as was Dwarven Forge).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Erb
United States
Parkersburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fewer vendors, but I felt the quality of the vendors was really good. Also gave me more of a chance to shake hands, exchange business cards and put faces to names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
merb101 wrote:
Fewer vendors, but I felt the quality of the vendors was really good. Also gave me more of a chance to shake hands, exchange business cards and put faces to names.

I noticed that, too. I saw a lot of new vendors, too, with a lot of very neat games i hadn't heard of. Bucephalus, especially, had some interesting games. A friend of mine was enamored with Gemlok and some of the North Star Games guys were telling me I needed to try out Rorshach but I didn't have time to get over there. I really didn't miss the AWOL big guys so much because of this.

Honestly, I've seen almost all of the DOW games many times over. They didn't really need to be there for any other reason than to show off Small World, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ggg ggg
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
I overheard two separate vendors conversations:

One said attendance was down, but his sales were way up. (An indy miniature vendor with no "big" release.)

Another said attendance was WAY down, and that you should start thinking of Origins as the worlds best regional con. (As opposed to a national con)

Then again, vendors bitch about attendance the way farmers complain about the weather.

"Oh My God! There's An Axe In My Head." The Game of International Diplomacy was once again the stand out for me, but I like stabby games and hate the current trend in spreadsheet optimization games. The rest of the time I was in Cthulhu RPG's and Cthulhu LARPs. (Cthulhu is absolutely the BEST game to play conventions.)

Snagged Tales of the Arabian Nights and also picked up 2 Sherlock Holmes supplements (green box and blue box) from Chessex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Waschak
United States
North East
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All in all we had a great time at the convention, and all four in my group were new to Origins. I was impressed with how friendly everyone was, and how easy it was to find a game too.

I did try to look up a few of the indy game companies after I got back, but can't find a web presence for some of them.

-Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.