Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Strand
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello. I'm looking for suggestions on which girlfriend game I should buy next. Typical story; I'm a life-long gamer, she's not but she will play some games with me. Her likes are very specific and she can be quick to dismiss a game if it does not give a good first impression.

Here is a little list of things she wants...
1)Easy to learn - most rules can be understood in a minute or two.
2)Quick to play - 30 minutes or less approximately. We tend to play mostly card games because of this.
3)Some luck included - She is not bad, but I'm a hardcore gamer and if there is no luck, I'll win too often and she won't want to play.
4)2 players - Must be 2 player only or best with 2 players.

Games she would chose to play...
Lost Cities, Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde, Guillotine, Backgammon. We have two games that stray from this common stlye. Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is something that she likes because she played Stratego as a kid, loves LOTR, and due to my horrible memory is a skill game that she often beats me at. The other is Carcassonne, but that is an exception because it was the first niche game I bought so she didn't have much of a selection to choose from.

Things I want...
1)What she wants - If she's willing to game with me, I'm willing to play what she wants.
2)One step up in skill factor - Some of our games are just a bit too easy and playing feels like autopilot after some experience. I am NOT trying to make her play a heavy game, but I would like something just one step up from what we have now. Still easy and fast with some luck, but just a tad more decision making.

A few comments on some other games just for perspective...
Bohnanza - She likes it but we don't play it 2 player.
Ticket to Ride - Easy enough, but too long.
Dominion - She understands it more than she gives herself credit for, but in the end it's too geeky and she doesn't want to play a game where she will lose most of the time. Need to stay slighter.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive
YINSH (any of the GIPF games really; that's just my personal favorite)
Mr. Jack
Blokus
Ingenious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burian
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
cferejohn wrote:

That one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious would be my suggestion as well. Since your girlfriend likes Backgammon, she seems open to abstract, and it does have an element of luck. It plays well with 2-4, is quick to play, and there is also a two-player only travel edition. My wife and her family really enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle
FITS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Strand
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ingenious seems like it may work. I will be considering it.

She likes Tetris so I'll have to check out FITS as I am not familiar with it at all. I considered Blokus but thought it may be too difficult skillwise. Easy to learn, hard to master kind of game.

What about Balloon Cup(or other Kosmos 2 players)? I've heard it recommended, but am not sure what kind of skill:luck ratio it has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro
Unnamed Object
Canasta Caliente
Mummy Rummy
Doubles Wild
Indus
To Court the King
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Strand
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
indigopotter wrote:

Almost all of those games are new to me so I got some reading to do. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Cloquet
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is seemingly exactly like your girlfriend in regards to game tastes. She love carcassone, lost cities, etc. She also likes to play TransAmerica and 10 Days in Africa. She also loves Jambo and Odin's Ravens. She will NOT play Hive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daisy Manning
Canada
Mount Pearl
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some suggestions from the female gender:

Aquädukt - I like this as a two player game. There is a bit of luck to it, but also a nice bit of strategy. With more players the luck effects things more, but I like it a lot with two.

Mr. Jack - This is a great two player deduction game. It is a little more complicated, but has a great element of deduction.

Rat Hot - Only tried this one today. It's a fairly light game (20-30 mins play time). It's fairly luck based as you are randomly drawing tiles, but it doesn't feel overly competitive like most two players. A nice light game to get things started.

The Rose King - This is another one we tried recently. Again there is a luck element in the cards you are drawing but it's mitigated by strategy playing of your cards and ensuring you can plan ahead a few rounds.

One thing I find that works well for me and my boyfriend is to play cooperative games.

Ghost Stories - It's a fairly easy cooperative game. It works well with two as you can both control two taoists. Everything is easily labeled on the board once you get to know the basic icons.

Pandemic - I definitely enjoy this one more than my boyfriend does, but again the cooperative aspect is nice as we aren't arguing over our competitive natures.

Some of the more complicated and less luck based games tend to be good, but seem more competitive in nature. I know from experience playing with my boyfriend there's only so many of these we can play together.

YINSH - My favourite of the GIPF series so far (have not tired them all). They are really great strategy games but do tend to make your brain work a bit more.

Hive - This game has no luck but I find lately that all games tend to go the same direction and the first player almost always wins. Yes there is no luck in placing tiles but there is a huge first player advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I recommend Park the Pink Limo. Your MY girlfriend loves it!

I keed! I keed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
None of our most successful games are on your list, except Lost Cities (which we burned out on after some fifty plays). Maybe your sweetheart has different tastes than mine, but here goes:

Battle Line
Like Lost Cities, but (a little) deeper.

Jambo
Still gets play. Fun CCG-like duel.

Blue Moon
I love it, she hates the art. Better luck to you maybe. Rich and deep game IMO.

Ingenious
She loves the abstract and simple feel of this. Play has a subtle touch that defies clear logic. It seems to have a pleasing degree of luck. We often play with guests and it scales perfectly from two to four.

Australia
I don't know why this is a hit with us but it is - it works with two to five.

Acquire
One of my sweetie's childhood games. So this works well for us, but only with guests - it does not work for two.

Scrabble
I hate all word games. She loves this, so I will play under duress.

San Juan
This is sort of a lowest common denominator game - it scales from two to four very well, and no one is intimidated by it. I've played it out though.

Circus Flohcati
If everyone is a little tired, or maybe too much alcohol, or her not-quite-with-it mother is present, or maybe little kids need a game, this is the game we pull out. It plays with two to five, and it is always fun. For me, mindless fun but whatever.

Saint Petersburg
I have not tried this yet on my GF, but I am hoping this will be the 'next san juan'. Great little game with pretty cards and a city building theme. Scales two to four very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Strand
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was interested in Blue Moon and Jambo, but thought she would think they are "too geeky".

I should definitely check out Battle Line, that may be perfect. I've never played but I have an idea about what it is.

I have Pandemic and she will play it, but she has never asked for it.

I was thinking about getting Mr. Jack for myself, so maybe she'll like it also.

I'm not sold on Gipf games. I wouldn't mind playing them, but I think they be too deep thinking for her casual interest.

Thanks to everyone. As usual I got some great answers and ideas that I hadn't thought of myself! As of right now, if I had to choose, I'm leaning towards one of the "Tetris" games, and maybe Battle Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hammack
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love your avatar, because I love the Unicorns.

For something completely different try CIA vs KGB. It is not a difficult game, or the instructions make it more cumbersome then actuality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Graffagnino
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushizock im Gockelwok and its older brother Pickomino make good husband and wife games. My wife loves to steal my tiles (and usually wins too)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a couple of games you have but haven't listed that look like good candidates - Citadels and Thurn & Taxis.

I'm surprised TTR takes too long, but then again, I rarely play 2p on the USA board. My wife and I play Switzerland and Nordic Countries a lot, which seem to be a bit faster, so that might be worth a shot.

Stone Age is a great, medium-weight worker placement game. It has gorgeous artwork and components, and uses dice for gathering resources in a clever way. There's a bit of luck and a bit of strategy, and it playes really well with 2. It will take about an hour though, so it might be too long for her.

Alhambra is fun with 2 players, and takes about as long to play as Carcassonne. It's a tile laying/city building game, with some card collecting thrown in. When playing with 2, you add an imaginary 3rd player, which makes the game really quite interesting. My wife and I prefer this game with 2.

Finally, Small World is a humourous, fantasy themed "wargame" (I use the term loosely), and is great with any number of players, and easily plays in under 45 minutes with 2 or 3 players. It does involve direct player conflict though, so you might want to go easy on her a bit for the first few games until she gets the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two great, simple & quick 2 players games are,

- Fjords
- Ka-Ching!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Mr. Jack, but whenever my girlfriend has had a rough day, she says she has no desire for such a "thinky" game. It does play a lot like an abstract. (Oddly, she will play Race for the Galaxy at the drop of a hat. But I digress.)

Ingenious is a good suggestion. I'd also recommend Oregon, which is very simple to pick up, and quick to play, and pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Judy
United States
Cottonwood
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roma is a fun game for 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
I recommend Park the Pink Limo. Your MY girlfriend loves it! :D

I keed! I keed!

As bad as suggesting
Busen Memo
Poor taste...Poor taste....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
strandiam wrote:
and maybe Battle Line.

Check the files section there is a great looking Simpson's version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooops. I thought he was looking for a game that yields a new girlfriend.

Female faves around these parts are:

Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride
Pandemic
Catan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Arkin
United States
Rancho Santa Margarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few that should entice her:

Big Points
Burgen Land
Finca
The Hanging Gardens
Lost Cities: The Board Game
Shanghaien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul / PHX Gamer
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fjords is a great game but might not have enough luck for her. With my girlfriend I won this one so much she stopped playing it entirely.

Battle Line is a good card game but it seems like you want to get her interested in something with a board?

The Downfall of Pompeii is a a lot of fun, scales well from 2 to 4, has a familiar tile laying element and cards. I highly recommend this one. My gf just loves tossing my pieces into the volcano.

10 Days in Africa was suggested by someone else and I think this would be a good choice. Also plays up to 4 but I've only played with 2 players.

San Juan might be a good choice as it has cards but definitely introduces a higher level of complexity.

Stone Age is also a good choice but will certainly go way over your time limit.

I personally could not stand Balloon Cup, way too obvious and really luck driven. Gave it away to a friend with kids.

Good luck with your choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm, how about

Kingsburg - This one is pretty fun, fair amount of luck and fun too.

Alhambra - Really works well 2 player and again, it's quite fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.