BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Yay I made a game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Waugh
United States
flag msg tools
designer
I made a print-and-play game, if anyone wants to look at it.
My first real start-to-finish board game design experience; it's been awesome (and time consuming)!

The game is "The Mountain".
A group of players are mountain climbers trying to get to the top of the mountain first. But one other player is "The Mountain" and is trying to knock all the climbers off.
Watch out for Bigfoot, the Yeti, and the inevitable volcanic eruption!

Seriously though I'd appreciate any feedback (:

link: http://www.filedropper.com/themountain-095
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Downloading now. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's finished, you should submit it to the database. That's the best way to get it some attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
I haven't read the rules really thoroughly, but the rulebook looks written really professionally and clearly (seriously, the contents list and highlighted game terms - wow!). That's a good start. Also I was almost sure that graphics will suck (well, don't get me wrong but that is first release, what else should I expect)... How I was surprised - graphics of the game looks pretty nice, not uber-awesome, but nice. When the game will gather attention people will probably upgrade it. That happens all the time here on BGG. ALSO I'd like to say that I'm more than grateful that file you have uploaded is BW LOW-INK Home-Printer-Friendly!

If that is your original idea you should DEFINITELY add this game to the database. It's hard to say after quick glimpse at the pdf how the game plays, but it's likely that you will get really positive feedback.

Congratulations, and good luck.
Heh... Now you are a game designer. You should contact Aldie for "GAME DESIGNER" bar over your nick when you will upload this game to the database. And as you are a game designer maybe you will be interested in upcoming game design contest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, you should post this in Board Game Design rather than DIY

Very nice work! Very well-organized and clear, plus your entertaining artwork.

I would have liked a one-page picture of the (multi-page) board at the beginning of the rules for reference purposes (especially as few people are going to print it out until they've read it through).

I'd put the tokens before the cards (or even the rules, since it helps to see them in advance of reading).

And it would be nice to have climber ownership tokens (maybe just the letter) so the players can't forget who's climbers are who's (also if the cute little stick figures had distinguishing features like a Viking helmet, a beard, a pony tail, pointy shoes, etc.).

Players might need help remembering what number they are... you might provide little player mats labelled "Player 1's Team," etc., to put the suggested climber ownership tokens on? This could also keep track of which climbers have finished moving (you take them off the mat as they complete their action for this turn, then go back on at the beginning of the next round).
The "Sky Spaces" are well-explained, but are a little confusing. Maybe they could appear on the board, perhaps as a downwards arrow instead of a circle? Or lines that point to a gap instead of a circle? (That could get a little messy on the sides of the mountain... I guess it's just the name that bothers me -- I'd call them void spaces or drop or fall spaces or something like that.)

I might change "connected climbers" to "linked climbers." The general concept of "connected" is a bit confusing... Re: Creative Handhold, if a climber is at one end of a connected group and an obstruction is at the other, is he connected to it? Re: Rumble, "move one connected space" the "connected" confuses me. Re: Helping Hand, connected means any space adjacent to any of the linked climbers?

Re: Rapell, I'm confused by "in response to any event." This seems to be the only use of "event."

Re: Pounce, the card name and art don't match its function (to move to an empty space and stop). "Stalk" would work.

Again, very impressive work!

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Waugh
United States
flag msg tools
designer
@Rudolf

Thanks for the compliments (:

I just put it in line to be added to the database.
Not sure who Aldie is (I'm very newly registered here), but I'll see about that after it gets in the DB.

Yeah I was surprised how many print-and-play games were full color when I was browsing around.

Doing the art was a bit of a grind at points - hence the rather wide range in quality (:

@Jonathan

Thanks for the feedback! Sorry about the wrong forum, I was a little boggled by the quantity of them. Is there a way to move a post to another forum?

I agree about the pic of the board. Maybe I'll add the board image without the lines and dots to the title page... Or maybe have a "table layout" diagram early on.

The 'player mats' idea is interesting. I have to do some more playtesting with varied people at some point anyway; have to see if that becomes an issue.

Putting the tokens first doesn't matter to me much. But it does give me an excuse to add features to my software (: Right now it just packs rectangles onto the pages one after the other, so I'd end up with a page with both tokens and cards.

Yeah, the 'connected' wording went through a few iterations and still isn't ideal. I had used 'adjacent' for a while, but at least for me that connoted 'next to' meaning 'horizontally adjacent'. I really needed a term for a connection in an arbitrary direction. 'linked' might be a good alternative. Though perhaps more... cerebral than 'connected'.

The sky spaces part is perhaps a bit too much explanation for a simple concept. There are just some odd situations one can get into which occasionally require the nit-picky explanation. I'm really just trying to say "you can fall off the mountain, and if you fall 4 spaces or more, your climber is defeated". But integrating that into the notion of movement and some other bits lead to a need for careful wording. The downward-arrow idea might be good though. Have to see how that looks.

Rappel continues to be my bane. There is actually an explanation in the "Terminology" section about what 'any event' really means. But I agree the notion of an 'event' is not fleshed out in the rules, or mentioned early enough.

Pounce doesn't bother me so much. I find that instantaneously moving next to someone (or three someones) is a pretty scary sudden event and usually means at least one guy gets nixed. But you're right it's not an insta-attack as it might imply... Though after doing 50+ cards, I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to make more artwork right away (:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwdevel wrote:
Not sure who Aldie is (I'm very newly registered here), but I'll see about that after it gets in the DB.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mitchell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Congratulations...
I have only skimmed it, but it looks very nice so far. If I play it, I'll post a review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.