Subject: Making Tracks or: How to Worry and Play Agressive rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents aren't big on board games. To them a game of Monopoly or Scrabble is as far as they'll go. When my latest order came in consisting of thirty pounds of cardboard and plastic among five games, they thought I was crazy.

One of those games still caught their eye when my brother and I were playing. I didn't think anything of it, but my mom kept asking questions about it. Finally, Tuesday night my dad came into my room and asked if I would show them how to play "that train game" as he called it. I finished up with what I was doing and I was on my way to teaching Ticket to Ride.

The game started off slow as I keopt having to explain to them the rules for the destination tickets, draw pile and the grey tracks. Once I got them into the rules, I kept showing them how to find the best ways to get to their destinations.

Big mistake.

Slowly, they kept finding ways to block my path. I hadn't introduced that to them on their first game, but they figured it out for themselves. I was behind by 25 points to people who had never played the game before.

As the game wound down both my mom and dad started making six train connections for fifteen points each. Out of desperation I decided to try my luck at the destination cards on my final turn.

Alan Moon must have been on my side.

I drew three cards that I had connections for. Considering that the blocking my parents had done during their turns, I had exactly ZERO of my original destination tickets done.

Once the tickets were added up (and my original two subtracted) and the longest train ticket was handed over to my dad, I had eeked out a win by one point while my oparents had tied.

I really should never underestimate my parents, they always seem to surprise me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
TTR is one of the few games in my collection that when taught to my parents they both understood and liked, it seems to have the qualities that make it easy for non gamers to pick up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maia McGrath
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What a great gateway game! Welcome to the ever increasing world of fantastic games!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.