Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another brainstorm idea for a game, this one centering around a collectable item. Would love to hear your ideas for a subject area that would sell the game.

Think Modern Art, but with better components and more choices but just as simple rules.

My original thought was vintage cars, but I am too personally biased. It fits perfectly with the mechanics (well of course it would because that is where I came up with the ideas!) but I am not sure there is a big overlap between vintage cars and the gaming community, nor do I think its a good subject matter for a gateway game (which I think by definition has to appeal to women as much as men).

So I throw myself upon the muse of the BGG Board Game Design Forum for brilliant suggestions.

Look for my first production game coming soon, Triumvirate:Civil War. Ok, its just self produced but it will be well done. You can enter to win a free copy (I will be giving up to 10 away) when it launches later this year simply by sending me a email at
Spoiler (click to reveal)
bgg_game_give_away@yahoo.com
Please use an email address that you check at least weekly and add my contest email to your contacts so the message telling you that you've won doesn't get rejected. I will be informing winners via their email addresses and will void winners that don’t respond within a week in order to award an additional winner the following week. Note that you are agreeing to receive periodic game updates through this list, and you can unsubscribe at any time by sending a mail with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even have a driver's license and I couldn't care less about cars, but as a gaming subject I don't mind vintage cars at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
I can't help but point out that there is a recent game themed around vintage automobiles that released to pretty broad acclaim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave King
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While this isn't the specific area you mentioned, you might consider the approach taken by the publishers of Wings of War: the game is seamlessly collectible. It's perfectly playable with or without the minis and if you go the minis route, you can go as far as you want. In a sense Tide of Iron did the same thing, but instead of producing the minis under their name, they steered customers to the World Tank Museum productions and stuff by Millennium Toys. In short, go collectible without seeming collectible. The "collectible" adjective is a big turn-off to many gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fisher
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
I have another brainstorm idea for a game, this one centering around a collectable item. Would love to hear your ideas for a subject area that would sell the game.

My original thought was vintage cars, but I am too personally biased. It fits perfectly with the mechanics (well of course it would because that is where I came up with the ideas!) but I am not sure there is a big overlap between vintage cars and the gaming community, nor do I think its a good subject matter for a gateway game (which I think by definition has to appeal to women as much as men).

I think vintage cars are fine, but another theme could be antiques or historical artifacts. If that's too broad, restrict it to a particular culture or time period.

For something slightly more light hearted, they could be alien artifacts instead (maybe with only guessed-at functions, eg. "Weather generator (or possibly just an umbrella stand)").

Another quick thought: the kinds of objects that are donated to charity, eg. Michael Jordan's shoes; Dr. Spock's eyebrow tweezers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One that might be cool to use is Comic Books.

Just get an Overstreet price guide to judge rarity and value of real boks and then just change the covers slightly to avoid Copyrights. Also, if you do that you can have different grades of the same book that go for different prices.

Edit: Also, since I won't win a copy, how much is Triumvirate:Civil War going to be so I can be sure to save the cash up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
RowdyRodimus wrote:
One that might be cool to use is Comic Books.

Just get an Overstreet price guide to judge rarity and value of real boks and then just change the covers slightly to avoid Copyrights. Also, if you do that you can have different grades of the same book that go for different prices.

I like comic books (well really I personally don't read them, I do like the idea for a game). But really it couldn't be more geeky if you tried. I'll go with cars if I can't get something that will appeal to the fairer sex enough to have a chance as a gateway game. Modern Art is just brilliant in that regard, a theme that at once is completely transparent but incredibly suited and appealing.

RowdyRodimus wrote:

Edit: Also, since I won't win a copy, how much is Triumvirate:Civil War going to be so I can be sure to save the cash up.

Well its still in discussion, but I was thinking something under $20. Looking at comparable componented games it would have a MSRP of $24.95. But it will be a month at least as I am going through a 3rd round of playtesting aimed at people in the BGG community that are primarily "couple" gamers. As a 2 player game it really needs to work for them. I already have a good feeling on how well it works as a mid-weight filler for gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Homes maybe?

Have Victorian Mansions down to Florida Condos.

(Sorry, I know I've been no help laugh )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Malone
United States
Farmland
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about coins? Everybody loves a good old coin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It could be laundry elves trading socks.
You could play as recess-bound kids bidding on tasty (or not) lunch treats (PBaJ, dessert cups, carrot sticks).
You could have mad scientists bidding on the latest doomsday devices.
You could have a secret, elite organization auctioning off ancient secrets (the meaning of life, coordinates for Atlantis, where babies REALLY come from, etc...).

...any of which would draw me in, and make an easy pitch to get someone interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vintage boardgames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keith
United States
Umatilla
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I am unsure of your mechanic but have you considered if pets would fit in? While not "collectable" exactly everyone can appreciate cute and cuddly. Ponies to puppies cats birds all the exotics? Pricing for breeds should be readily available and I think it has that awwww factor very few subjects can match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If the game is light enough to appeal to the non-gamer market, you might want to choose something that many people collect, or are interested in. A game about collecting vintage cars might find its way to vintage car aficionados, for instance, and not only to gamers. Broaden your market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
If the game is light enough to appeal to the non-gamer market, you might want to choose something that many people collect, or are interested in. A game about collecting vintage cars might find its way to vintage car aficionados, for instance, and not only to gamers. Broaden your market.

That is what I was thinking, and then in a sleepless night I thought that wine collecting might even have a broader appeal. And with wine you could even add some humor, fictional winery names and labels have so much opportunity to play on the idiosyncrasies of the various nationalities that they could represent.

It’s still a concept, but I am thinking its light in the way that Modern Art is light, and I am pretty sure that there has been some PHD level game theory applied to that game. Of course I will have to build out the prototype and play it to understand if the numbers translate into a fun game Luckily I have my mother, sister and her boy friend coming into town for a week so they will be my first (unsuspecting) victims.

Ultimately if this worked it could come in many different flavors, the expansion opportunities are endless and cards themselves are rather easy to get cheap in reasonable quantities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, if you could get the license, why not have Pokemon....I cant recall anyone ever making a card game involving them, and they just like pets except better.

zombie

Seriously tho, the comic book/graphic novel idea does appeal simply because it is a geeky idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind, if the game is successful, you can always do other thematic editions. It's worked for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
What about holidays?

I don't know how easy it is to turn your game to this, but people could 'collect' holidays or holiday experiences.
"So last year we went to Rome, and the year before we had a great cruise to the South Pole. Next year we're thinking of doing a safari in South Africa."
OK, not so great if the collectibles could be traded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boren
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
How about movie props/memorabilia? That seems like it would have a nice, broad appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
-----
Collecting Friends/Contacts from social networking sites.

Simple Game Play:
- Collecting people scores points
- Networking people together into a set scores point multipliers

Advanced Game Play:
- Collectible people can be elevated in status, called expert. Experts can create new hubs.
- Networked people create a game force, called synergy. Synergy can be used to directly effect other players networks either competitively or co-oped, with examples such as "stealing people" or "connecting hubs together for shared points".

Game Appeal:
- Easy to understand dynamic that appeals to casual gamers
- Social/relationship dynamic that appeals to female gamers
- Social Dominance dynamic that appeals to male gamers
- Collectible set dynamic that appeals to younger gamers
- Expertise dynamic that appeals to older gamers

Mass market Appeal:
- Everyone online belongs to one social site or another. Easily relate-able.

Promotional Appeal:
- Play the first game online thru Twitter. Create several "persona" accounts that twitter players can collect as friends. Keep a running tab of player scores with tweets. Engage the game play as a viral and see how the appeal takes off.

simpson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keith
United States
Umatilla
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
gsimpson wrote:
Collecting Friends/Contacts from social networking sites.

Simple Game Play:
- Collecting people scores points
- Networking people together into a set scores point multipliers

Advanced Game Play:
- Collectible people can be elevated in status, called expert. Experts can create new hubs.
- Networked people create a game force, called synergy. Synergy can be used to directly effect other players networks either competitively or co-oped, with examples such as "stealing people" or "connecting hubs together for shared points".

Game Appeal:
- Easy to understand dynamic that appeals to casual gamers
- Social/relationship dynamic that appeals to female gamers
- Social Dominance dynamic that appeals to male gamers
- Collectible set dynamic that appeals to younger gamers
- Expertise dynamic that appeals to older gamers

Mass market Appeal:
- Everyone online belongs to one social site or another. Easily relate-able.

Promotional Appeal:
- Play the first game online thru Twitter. Create several "persona" accounts that twitter players can collect as friends. Keep a running tab of player scores with tweets. Engage the game play as a viral and see how the appeal takes off.

simpson

Yeah we do that on e harmony you get points based on occupations yearly salary and hotness of girl.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the point I am translating the system to a prototype. The concept that I think best fits where the system has evolved (and is very marketable): Beer Bash

The game is played over a week, every night there is a beer bash. Players have secret objectives, beers have different values to different players depending on the number that are brought to the bash as opposed to those that get drunk before the bash.

Each set of cards is going to be labels from a different microbrew.

I think it will be a neat little auction game, with some economic model aspects. My worry is that the number of players that enjoy auction games is small. So still the subject matter, components have to be good, look at it's alive - an auction game at heart but you would never think of it that way until you've played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Quote:
The concept that I think best fits where the system has evolved (and is very marketable): Beer Bash

As a gamer, not really a fan of beer or auction games at large. But I would probably play it if someone in the group got it and it had drinking game rules.

As a designer, I would lean away from doing an alcohol-centric theme since a large group of gamers consist of both mormon and underager segments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.